How to set ansi.sys for windows.xp?

Kaz

Hi, there.
I had no problem using escape sequence such as printf( "\x1b[2J" );
for clearing screen before I started to use Windows XP.
Ever since I started to used XP, I have trouble using this "\x1b
sequence. I modified config.nt and it seems ansi.sys is sitting in the
memory area.However, it does work right.
Could anyone please let me know how to make this escape sequence work
on XP? Or do I have to boot XP up with DOS mode? Or is my compiler not
good? I use Borland C++ compiler 5.5.

I appreciate your help.

Kaz

Simon Richard Clarkstone

Kaz said:
Hi, there.
I had no problem using escape sequence such as printf( "\x1b[2J" );
for clearing screen before I started to use Windows XP.
Ever since I started to used XP, I have trouble using this "\x1b
sequence. I modified config.nt and it seems ansi.sys is sitting in the
memory area.However, it does work right.
Could anyone please let me know how to make this escape sequence work
on XP? Or do I have to boot XP up with DOS mode? Or is my compiler not
good? I use Borland C++ compiler 5.5.

I appreciate your help.

This is nothing to do with C, it looks like the required escape-codes
have changed, but I don't know much about this. Ask one of the
Windows-specific newsgroups.

Nick Keighley

(e-mail address removed) (Kaz) wrote in message
comp.lang.c is devoted to the C programming language as defined by the
ISO standard. Windows-XP and ansi.sys are not part of the C programming
language consequently your post is off topic. I suggest you try a
Windows-XP news group.
I had no problem using escape sequence such as printf( "\x1b[2J" );
for clearing screen before I started to use Windows XP.

I suspect you will have to use a system call of some sort.

<snip>

MarcSmith

try using a true dos compiler like pacific c or turbo c++ 1.01 fo
example and it may work

-
MarcSmit

Mark A. Odell

try using a true dos compiler like pacific c or turbo c++ 1.01 for
example and it may work.

It won't help. The OP will could write a win32 console app. and then use
the cursor positioning and color setting functions available from the
Win32 API, however, I may be wrong too. This is why we stick to C here and
avoid off-topic answers.

Kaz

Oh, well. I am Kaz and just checked y'all's answers. OK, OK. I got a
hint. I will post the same question at a different group. However,
about ansi.sys... Don't you use ANSIC by any chance?

Thanks anyhow.
Kaz

Joona I Palaste

Kaz said:
Oh, well. I am Kaz and just checked y'all's answers. OK, OK. I got a
hint. I will post the same question at a different group. However,
about ansi.sys... Don't you use ANSIC by any chance?

The only relation between ansi.sys and ANSI C is that both are
standardised by ANSI. Neither standard requires, depends on, or contains
the other.

Mark McIntyre

Oh, well. I am Kaz and just checked y'all's answers. OK, OK. I got a
hint. I will post the same question at a different group. However,
about ansi.sys... Don't you use ANSIC by any chance?

Lots of things were standardised by ANSI. F'rexample the thread pitch of
bolts, the design of streetlamps, and the qualifications for becoming a
firefighter in the US. We don't discuss those here either.

CBFalconer

Kaz said:
Oh, well. I am Kaz and just checked y'all's answers. OK, OK. I got a
hint. I will post the same question at a different group. However,
about ansi.sys... Don't you use ANSIC by any chance?

Why do you expect anyone to make any sense of the above, quoted in
full? Bear in mind that there is no guarantee that any previous
articles are available to the reader.

--
Some useful references:
<http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html>