How to set application dependency on custom configuration files?

Laser Lu

Hello, everybody,
In order to avoid making web.config lengthy, I just moved some custom
configuration settings out from web.config, and centralized them into an xml
file, which names data.config. It works fine except for one thing that the
custom configuration file has a poor change awareness. Custom configuration
settings can not be refreshed after the data.config file was modified.
I wish the custom data.config file can works like the web.config file, which
will lead the whole web application to be reloaded once it was
changed/modified. How to achieve that? I really need your help! Thanks!

Craig Deelsnyder

Laser said:
Hello, everybody,
In order to avoid making web.config lengthy, I just moved some custom
configuration settings out from web.config, and centralized them into an xml
file, which names data.config. It works fine except for one thing that the
custom configuration file has a poor change awareness. Custom configuration
settings can not be refreshed after the data.config file was modified.
I wish the custom data.config file can works like the web.config file, which
will lead the whole web application to be reloaded once it was
changed/modified. How to achieve that? I really need your help! Thanks!

how are you using data.xml? by using the file attribute on the
appSettings element?

<appSettings file="data.xml">
</appSettings>

Laser Lu

No, I'm not using the file attribute of appSettings element.
Indeed, I implemented my own code to parse the custom settings from the
external data.xml file. The custom settings in that file is structured more
complex than being a simple name-value dictionary, so I can not use the
legacy NameValueSectionHandler like the appSettings section does:(

Laser Lu

I was really stuck, and is now seeking for help!
Any helps will be appreciated! Thanks in advance!