    Thanks,

    --
    Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Jan 11, 2009

  2. Mel Smith

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Mel Smith" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi:
    >
    > How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after
    >
    > (btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
    > got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
    > looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)
    >
    > Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML,
    > XHTML, CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David
    > Flanagan).

    This code should do it:

    Please press F11.

    Seriously though, rebuild your page. As a self-confessed novice you need
    the practise anyway.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 11, 2009

  3. Mel Smith wrote:

    > How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after

    Only by cracking into the user's system. That's a punishable crime in
    civilized countries.

    > (btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same
    > question and got told this morning: "Don't".

    You got the correct answer.

    > However, my page (built
    > by me - a novice) looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly)
    > full screen.)

    I have no difficulties in believing that, even without the "unless" clause.

    For your information, "full screen" can mean anything from zero pixels to
    larger resolutions than you ever heard of.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, Jan 11, 2009
  4. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Nik & Jukka:

    Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
    and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((

    -Mel

    Mel Smith, Jan 11, 2009
  5. Mel Smith

    richard Guest

    richard, Jan 11, 2009
  6. Mel Smith

    Bergamot Guest

    Mel Smith wrote:

    > How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
    > my page ??
    >
    > my page (built by me - a novice)
    > looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

    You are fixing the wrong problem. Correct the cause of the page looking
    crappy instead. If you post a URL we should be able to give you some
    pointers.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Jan 11, 2009
  7. Mel Smith

    houghi Guest

    Jukka K. Korpela wrote:
    > For your information, "full screen" can mean anything from zero pixels to
    > larger resolutions than you ever heard of.

    On one computer I have 800x480. On another I have 5440x1200.
    (2x1920x1200 + 1x1600x1200)

    However standard my browser is at 876x1170 or at 1178x1170 and I hate it
    if anybody messes with that.

    houghi
    --
    Usenet is like a herd of performing elephants with diarrhea - massive,
    mind-boggling amounts of excrement when you least expect it.

    houghi, Jan 11, 2009
  8. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    To All:

    Thanks for your various views.

    I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE and
    FireFox:

    onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">

    This seems to work perfectly (altho it violates all your advice :(( )

    My users willl be very unsophisticated windows users (maybe a couple of
    hundred of them) who will very likely have IE on their machines (and much
    less likely FF).

    I want to be able to paint my Login Screen simply and clearly with all
    text, no pictures, and entice them to proceed without telling them about the
    fullscreen icon on the upper-right of their browser screen and what it means
    (or the 'restore' button that occurs after they go fullscreen).

    I never thought about this until two days ago (after designing my
    login.htm page). I looked at it and it had 'folded' all my nice layout and
    it looked really jumbled. A bit more testing (stretching and shortening
    horizontally) told me that I needed a certain mimimum horizontal size before
    it looked 'proper'.

    (and I'm not going to expose my URL to total ridicule until I've
    finished screwing it up :)) )

    So, fire away !!!

    -Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Jan 11, 2009
  9. Mel Smith

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    "Mel Smith" <> wrote in message
    > To All:
    >
    > Thanks for your various views.
    >
    > I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE
    > and FireFox:

    > onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">
    >
    > This seems to work perfectly (altho it violates all your advice :(( )

    There are numerous problems with this approach. I'm not even going to start
    to explain them, I'm just going to say don't do it, please don't do it.
    I've offered you a temporary alternative below.

    > My users willl be very unsophisticated windows users (maybe a couple of
    > hundred of them) who will very likely have IE on their machines (and much
    > less likely FF).
    >
    > I want to be able to paint my Login Screen simply and clearly with all
    > text, no pictures, and entice them to proceed without telling them about
    > the fullscreen icon on the upper-right of their browser screen and what it
    > means (or the 'restore' button that occurs after they go fullscreen).

    That's maximise, not "full screen". Completely different thing.

    > I never thought about this until two days ago (after designing my
    > login.htm page). I looked at it and it had 'folded' all my nice layout and
    > it looked really jumbled. A bit more testing (stretching and shortening
    > horizontally) told me that I needed a certain mimimum horizontal size
    > before it looked 'proper'.

    OK, look, if you insist on doing this, and this isn't necessarily a great
    thing to do either, but it's a lot better than what you're doing:

    Adjust the 800px as necessary until your layout stops falling apart

    But really, just fix your layout.

    Nik Coughlin, Jan 11, 2009
  10. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Nik said:

    > OK, look, if you insist on doing this, and this isn't necessarily a great
    > thing to do either, but it's a lot better than what you're doing:

    > Adjust the 800px as necessary until your layout stops falling apart
    >
    > But really, just fix your layout.

    Nik:

    Thanks ! I'll try the above and implement it.

    -Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Jan 11, 2009
  11. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Nik:

    I tried many variations of the following but none 'maximised' my window:

    Lastly I placed the '...800px' code in a 'style' section in the header;

    <!--
    .error {font-family: Arial; font-size: large; color: red}
    body {width: 800px; min-width: 800px; font-family: Arial; font-size:
    medium; background-color: blue; color: yellow}
    h2 {background-color: blue; color: #FFFF00}
    -->

    Whatever I do, my browser window does not maximise neither in IE or FF.
    I moved the default boundaries to a very narrow view. To no avail :((

    Thanks for trying.

    -Mel Smith

    Mel Smith, Jan 11, 2009
  12. Mel Smith

    Els Guest

    Mel Smith wrote:
    > Nik:

    > Whatever I do, my browser window does not maximise neither in IE or FF.
    > I moved the default boundaries to a very narrow view. To no avail :((
    >
    > Thanks for trying.

    That code is not supposed to maximise your window - it is an
    alternative, so your page will still not be 'folded' and 'jumbled',
    but without the need for maximising the window.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jan 11, 2009
  13. Mel Smith

    Mel Smith Guest

    Els said:

    > That code is not supposed to maximise your window - it is an
    > alternative, so your page will still not be 'folded' and 'jumbled',
    > but without the need for maximising the window.

    Els:

    No, in the code given by Nik, he suggested my screen width to be 800px
    (as a starter). I intentionally made my default IE, FF, and Opera screen
    widths very narrow.

    Then I visited my page locally. Result: The change didn't make the page
    any wider. In fact, it didn't affect the page width at all ???

    I assumed (??) that the 800 px would at least widen my page up to 800px.
    But nothing happened.

    I think I'll have supper and go away for awhile (which is probably want
    you folks want too :)) )

    Thanks for commenting.

    -Mel

    Mel Smith, Jan 11, 2009
  14. Mel Smith

    Els Guest

    Mel Smith wrote:

    > Els said:
    >
    >> That code is not supposed to maximise your window - it is an
    >> alternative, so your page will still not be 'folded' and 'jumbled',
    >> but without the need for maximising the window.

    > Els:
    >
    > No, in the code given by Nik, he suggested my screen width to be 800px
    > (as a starter). I intentionally made my default IE, FF, and Opera screen
    > widths very narrow.

    Not screen width. page width. Your browser window will not change by
    setting any value for body width.

    > Then I visited my page locally. Result: The change didn't make the page
    > any wider. In fact, it didn't affect the page width at all ???

    You mean you didn't get a scrollbar in your window?

    > I assumed (??) that the 800 px would at least widen my page up to 800px.
    > But nothing happened.

    I'm not sure if you're calling the same thing 'page' that I do.
    Screen: all the pixels and light coming from your monitor.
    Window: the rectangular thing you view web pages in.
    Page: your web page, inside the window.

    When the page is bigger than the window, you get scrollbars.

    > I think I'll have supper and go away for awhile (which is probably want
    > you folks want too :)) )

    Not quite. Not all of us are in your part of the world. For me it's
    way past bedtime, which I reckon is an even better reason to close the
    Usenet window for a couple of hours :)

    > Thanks for commenting.

    You're welcome.

    --
    Els http://locusmeus.com/

    Els, Jan 12, 2009
  15. On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:37:59 -0700, "Mel Smith"
    <> wrote:

    >Nik & Jukka:
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
    >and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((
    >
    >-Mel

    I think that you did not know what a "Full Screen" is .....
    Games are written to work in full-screen ...and a lot of users want to
    have the game running inside a windows - This is impossible - if the
    game want to be only run in fullscreen, you cannot force it to run
    windowed(except with usin VM)

    Raymond Schmit, Jan 12, 2009
  16. Mel Smith wrote:

    > Nik & Jukka:
    >
    > Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
    > and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((

    Looks like you got all the insight here that you need: "don't".

    --
    Blinky
    Killing all posts from Google Groups -

    Blinky the Shark, Jan 12, 2009
  17. Mel Smith

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Ben C <> wrote:

    > On 2009-01-11, richard <> wrote:
    > > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 12:36:11 -0700, "Mel Smith"
    > ><> wrote:
    > >
    > >>Hi:
    > >>
    > >> How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after

    > Even if you replaced that with a suitable alternative that was actually
    > valid, it wouldn't affect the user's viewport size.

    Don't be too hard on Richard! I am sure he meant:

    browser {width: 100%; height: 100%;}

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, Jan 12, 2009
  18. Mel Smith

    asdf Guest

    "Raymond Schmit" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 13:37:59 -0700, "Mel Smith"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>Nik & Jukka:
    >>
    >> Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
    >>and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((
    >>
    >>-Mel
    >>

    > I think that you did not know what a "Full Screen" is .....
    > Games are written to work in full-screen ...and a lot of users want to
    > have the game running inside a windows - This is impossible - if the
    > game want to be only run in fullscreen, you cannot force it to run
    > windowed(except with usin VM)

    ummm... irrelevant? I thought the OP was talking about a web page running
    within the context of a web browser, not a game :))

    asdf, Jan 12, 2009
  19. Mel Smith

    asdf Guest

    "dorayme" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2009-01-11, richard <> wrote:

    >> Even if you replaced that with a suitable alternative that was actually
    >> valid, it wouldn't affect the user's viewport size.

    > Don't be too hard on Richard! I am sure he meant:
    >
    > browser {width: 100%; height: 100%;}
    >
    > --
    > dorayme

    Oh yeah... and how'd you go tracking down the Birregurra Bangers for your
    casserole? :D

    They're a Victorian invention/product, so may not be available where you
    are. Mind you, they're worth tracking down if you can!

    asdf, Jan 12, 2009
  20. Mel Smith

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:02:28 +1100, dorayme
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    > Ben C <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 2009-01-11, richard <> wrote:

    >> Even if you replaced that with a suitable alternative that was actually
    >> valid, it wouldn't affect the user's viewport size.

    >Don't be too hard on Richard! I am sure he meant:
    >
    >browser {width: 100%; height: 100%;}

    <snicker>
    wrong guess.
    <snicker>