how to set Browser at Full Screen

Mel Smith

Hi:

How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
my page ??

(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML, XHTML,
CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David Flanagan).

Thanks,

Nik Coughlin

Mel Smith said:
Hi:

How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after

(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML,
XHTML, CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David
Flanagan).

This code should do it:

Please press F11.

Seriously though, rebuild your page. As a self-confessed novice you need
the practise anyway.

Jukka K. Korpela

Mel said:
How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after

Only by cracking into the user's system. That's a punishable crime in
civilized countries.
(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same
question and got told this morning: "Don't".

You got the correct answer.
However, my page (built
by me - a novice) looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly)
full screen.)

I have no difficulties in believing that, even without the "unless" clause.

For your information, "full screen" can mean anything from zero pixels to
larger resolutions than you ever heard of.

Mel Smith

Nik & Jukka:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((

-Mel

richard

Hi:

How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
my page ??

(btw, on another more novice-oriented ng, I asked the same question and
got told this morning: "Don't". However, my page (built by me - a novice)
looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

Thanks for any insights (or pointer to places in my books: 'HTML, XHTML,
CSS' by Jon Duckett and 'Javascript - 5th Edition' by David Flanagan).

Thanks,

Bergamot

Mel said:
How do I (simply) set my client's browser to 'Full Screen' after loading
my page ??

my page (built by me - a novice)
looks crappy unless the screen is at (or nearly) full screen.)

You are fixing the wrong problem. Correct the cause of the page looking
crappy instead. If you post a URL we should be able to give you some
pointers.

houghi

Jukka said:
For your information, "full screen" can mean anything from zero pixels to
larger resolutions than you ever heard of.

On one computer I have 800x480. On another I have 5440x1200.
(2x1920x1200 + 1x1600x1200)

However standard my browser is at 876x1170 or at 1178x1170 and I hate it
if anybody messes with that.

houghi

Mel Smith

To All:

Thanks for your various views.

I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE and
FireFox:

onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">

This seems to work perfectly (altho it violates all your advice :(( )

My users willl be very unsophisticated windows users (maybe a couple of
hundred of them) who will very likely have IE on their machines (and much
less likely FF).

I want to be able to paint my Login Screen simply and clearly with all
text, no pictures, and entice them to proceed without telling them about the
fullscreen icon on the upper-right of their browser screen and what it means
(or the 'restore' button that occurs after they go fullscreen).

I never thought about this until two days ago (after designing my
login.htm page). I looked at it and it had 'folded' all my nice layout and
it looked really jumbled. A bit more testing (stretching and shortening
horizontally) told me that I needed a certain mimimum horizontal size before
it looked 'proper'.

(and I'm not going to expose my URL to total ridicule until I've
finished screwing it up :)) )

So, fire away !!!

-Mel Smith

Nik Coughlin

Mel Smith said:
To All:

Thanks for your various views.

I have stumbled across the following which works properly in both IE
and FireFox:

onload="javascript:window.resizeTo(screen.width,screen.height);window.moveTo(0,0);">

This seems to work perfectly (altho it violates all your advice :(( )

There are numerous problems with this approach. I'm not even going to start
to explain them, I'm just going to say don't do it, please don't do it.
I've offered you a temporary alternative below.
My users willl be very unsophisticated windows users (maybe a couple of
hundred of them) who will very likely have IE on their machines (and much
less likely FF).

I want to be able to paint my Login Screen simply and clearly with all
text, no pictures, and entice them to proceed without telling them about
the fullscreen icon on the upper-right of their browser screen and what it
means (or the 'restore' button that occurs after they go fullscreen).

That's maximise, not "full screen". Completely different thing.
I never thought about this until two days ago (after designing my
login.htm page). I looked at it and it had 'folded' all my nice layout and
it looked really jumbled. A bit more testing (stretching and shortening
horizontally) told me that I needed a certain mimimum horizontal size
before it looked 'proper'.

OK, look, if you insist on doing this, and this isn't necessarily a great
thing to do either, but it's a lot better than what you're doing:

Adjust the 800px as necessary until your layout stops falling apart

But really, just fix your layout.

Mel Smith

Nik said:
OK, look, if you insist on doing this, and this isn't necessarily a great
thing to do either, but it's a lot better than what you're doing:

Adjust the 800px as necessary until your layout stops falling apart

But really, just fix your layout.

Nik:

Thanks ! I'll try the above and implement it.

-Mel Smith

Mel Smith

Nik:

I tried many variations of the following but none 'maximised' my window:

Lastly I placed the '...800px' code in a 'style' section in the header;

<!--
.error {font-family: Arial; font-size: large; color: red}
body {width: 800px; min-width: 800px; font-family: Arial; font-size:
medium; background-color: blue; color: yellow}
h2 {background-color: blue; color: #FFFF00}
-->

Whatever I do, my browser window does not maximise neither in IE or FF.
I moved the default boundaries to a very narrow view. To no avail :((

Thanks for trying.

-Mel Smith

Els

Mel said:
Whatever I do, my browser window does not maximise neither in IE or FF.
I moved the default boundaries to a very narrow view. To no avail :((

Thanks for trying.

That code is not supposed to maximise your window - it is an
alternative, so your page will still not be 'folded' and 'jumbled',
but without the need for maximising the window.

Mel Smith

Els said:
That code is not supposed to maximise your window - it is an
alternative, so your page will still not be 'folded' and 'jumbled',
but without the need for maximising the window.

Els:

No, in the code given by Nik, he suggested my screen width to be 800px
(as a starter). I intentionally made my default IE, FF, and Opera screen
widths very narrow.

Then I visited my page locally. Result: The change didn't make the page
any wider. In fact, it didn't affect the page width at all ???

I assumed (??) that the 800 px would at least widen my page up to 800px.
But nothing happened.

I think I'll have supper and go away for awhile (which is probably want
you folks want too :)) )

Thanks for commenting.

-Mel

Els

Mel said:
Els said:

Els:

No, in the code given by Nik, he suggested my screen width to be 800px
(as a starter). I intentionally made my default IE, FF, and Opera screen
widths very narrow.

Not screen width. page width. Your browser window will not change by
setting any value for body width.
Then I visited my page locally. Result: The change didn't make the page
any wider. In fact, it didn't affect the page width at all ???

You mean you didn't get a scrollbar in your window?
I assumed (??) that the 800 px would at least widen my page up to 800px.
But nothing happened.

I'm not sure if you're calling the same thing 'page' that I do.
Screen: all the pixels and light coming from your monitor.
Window: the rectangular thing you view web pages in.
Page: your web page, inside the window.

When the page is bigger than the window, you get scrollbars.
I think I'll have supper and go away for awhile (which is probably want
you folks want too :)) )

Not quite. Not all of us are in your part of the world. For me it's
way past bedtime, which I reckon is an even better reason to close the
Usenet window for a couple of hours :)
Thanks for commenting.

You're welcome.

Raymond Schmit

Nik & Jukka:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((

-Mel
I think that you did not know what a "Full Screen" is .....
Games are written to work in full-screen ...and a lot of users want to
have the game running inside a windows - This is impossible - if the
game want to be only run in fullscreen, you cannot force it to run
windowed(except with usin VM)

Blinky the Shark

Mel said:
Nik & Jukka:

Thanks for your thoughts. I guess I've got to go back to my novice ng
and go back over all the archives looking for more insight ... :((

Looks like you got all the insight here that you need: "don't".

dorayme

Ben C said:
Even if you replaced that with a suitable alternative that was actually
valid, it wouldn't affect the user's viewport size.

Don't be too hard on Richard! I am sure he meant:

browser {width: 100%; height: 100%;}

asdf

Raymond Schmit said:
I think that you did not know what a "Full Screen" is .....
Games are written to work in full-screen ...and a lot of users want to
have the game running inside a windows - This is impossible - if the
game want to be only run in fullscreen, you cannot force it to run
windowed(except with usin VM)

ummm... irrelevant? I thought the OP was talking about a web page running
within the context of a web browser, not a game :))

asdf

dorayme said:
Don't be too hard on Richard! I am sure he meant:

browser {width: 100%; height: 100%;}

Oh yeah... and how'd you go tracking down the Birregurra Bangers for your
casserole? :D

They're a Victorian invention/product, so may not be available where you
are. Mind you, they're worth tracking down if you can!