HOW TO: Set default start up page?

Nobody

Hi,

I'm using ASP.NET w/ Visual Studio 2005 and the .net development server...
how do I set the default start up page? right now when I go to
http://localhost/WebSite I get a directory listing. I know I'm supposed to
have a "Default.aspx", but I wanted to rename it to something else. Is it
possible to change the name its looking for in the dev server? Or is that
only available in the full blow IIS?

Tim

Nobody said:
Hi,

I'm using ASP.NET w/ Visual Studio 2005 and the .net development server...
how do I set the default start up page? right now when I go to
http://localhost/WebSite I get a directory listing. I know I'm supposed to
have a "Default.aspx", but I wanted to rename it to something else. Is it
possible to change the name its looking for in the dev server? Or is that
only available in the full blow IIS?

If I understand you question correctly, you should be able to right
click on the page you want to be your start up page in the Solution
Explorer and select "Set as Start Page".

Let me know if that was what you were looking for,
Tim

Nobody

Tim said:
If I understand you question correctly, you should be able to right
click on the page you want to be your start up page in the Solution
Explorer and select "Set as Start Page".

Let me know if that was what you were looking for,
Tim

That just changes the start page if you run your app through dev studio. I
was talking about having the dev server running, bringing up a copy of IE
and typing in: http://localhost/WebSite into the URL... right now it brings
up a directory listing of that virtual path. Presumably because I don't have
a Default.aspx.

I kind of solved the problem by creating an empty Default.aspx and
redirecting to where I want, but that seems like a hack.

Willem

In IIS you can set the names of default pages. Just click on the
properties of the website in IIS console. It's on one of the tabs. You
can find the IIS console under control panel - system administration.
(hopefully I got the name correct as I am working on a dutch machine
atm).

Juan T. Llibre

re:
was talking about having the dev server running, bringing up a copy of IE and typing in:
http://localhost/WebSite into the URL... right now it brings up a directory listing of that
virtual path.

Open the website's properties in the IIS Manager.

Go to the "Documents" tab.

Create a default document named whatever you want it named to.

Click the "Enable Default Document" selection box.

Select the default document you just created
and click the "Move up" button until it's at the top of the list.