? How to - Stream audio and/or video via windows media player ?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by =?Utf-8?B?aHpndDliQG5vcG9zdC5jb20=?=, Oct 26, 2006.

  1. Using VS 2003, VB.NET and/or ASP.NET 2.0,

    BACKGROUND
    I have a window forms based application that contains a TreeView control and
    a WebBroswer (AxSHDocVw.AxWebBrowser) control. The TreeView is populated with
    nodes that when clicked play an audio clip from specified local or web URL
    and navigate the browser control to a specified local or web URL. Audio
    playback uses as hidden media player object AxWMPLib.AxWindowsMediaPlayer).

    PROBLEM
    My client now wants the application moved from a windows based app, to a web
    app. My plan is to use redevelop the app in ASP.NET 2.0.

    The biggest question I have is - how do I stream audio and/or video files
    from my ASP server to the client? Will I need special software and/or
    configurations on the server to allow streaming media?

    Can someone point me to some web resources on this topic or better yet post
    some example code?

    Thanks for any thoughts?

    celoftis

    =?Utf-8?B?aHpndDliQG5vcG9zdC5jb20=?=, Oct 26, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?aHpndDliQG5vcG9zdC5jb20=?=

    Mike Lowery Guest

    "" <> wrote in message
    > Using VS 2003, VB.NET and/or ASP.NET 2.0,
    >
    > BACKGROUND
    > I have a window forms based application that contains a TreeView control and
    > a WebBroswer (AxSHDocVw.AxWebBrowser) control. The TreeView is populated with
    > nodes that when clicked play an audio clip from specified local or web URL
    > and navigate the browser control to a specified local or web URL. Audio
    > playback uses as hidden media player object AxWMPLib.AxWindowsMediaPlayer).
    >

    > PROBLEM
    > My client now wants the application moved from a windows based app, to a web
    > app. My plan is to use redevelop the app in ASP.NET 2.0.
    >
    > The biggest question I have is - how do I stream audio and/or video files
    > from my ASP server to the client? Will I need special software and/or
    > configurations on the server to allow streaming media?
    >
    > Can someone point me to some web resources on this topic or better yet post
    > some example code?
    >
    > Thanks for any thoughts?

    If you want to stream media (as opposed to having them download it) you'll need
    to install Windows Media Services. Windows Media Player can easily be embedded
    into web pages.

    Mike Lowery, Oct 26, 2006

  3. Re: ? How to - Stream audio and/or video via windows media player

    Thanks for the quick reply.

    Is Windows Media Services (WMS) somehing that I can install on my XP SP2 dev
    machine or is WMS only for WinServr2003?

    Also, is streaming some switch that I configure in WMS or is that something
    I'll need to include in my ASP code?

    =?Utf-8?B?aHpndDliQG5vcG9zdC5jb20=?=, Oct 26, 2006
  4. Re: ? How to - Stream audio and/or video via windows media player

    To do the true streaming, and real control of the streaming, you'll need a
    streaming media server. It'll only install on a server OS such as Win 2003
    servers but not XP Pro.

    You should only need to pass the audio clip url to the control that is
    handling the playback. If it's a client-side control, you can always tweak
    the parameters through some server-side code when passing it back the
    client, create the object code dynamically server-side in other words.

    If the file is on another site, you shouldn't need a streaming media server
    due to the fact the server doesn't have control over it. Also, a typical
    window media file will be in a streaming format and can do some things you
    can do with a streaming file such as start/stop/pause, but it cannot do
    fast-forwards since it's lacking that level of control on the stream.

    --
    Hope this helps,
    Mark Fitzpatrick

    "" <> wrote in
    message news:...

    Mark Fitzpatrick, Oct 27, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?aHpndDliQG5vcG9zdC5jb20=?=

    Guest

    Out of curiousity, why type of project are you working on that requires
    streaming media? Do you actually require the ability to do random
    access from the client (e.g. ffwd/rewind, skip 'chapters', etc.)? Do
    you need to do any monitoring of the stream and client behavior?

    , Dec 11, 2006