How to uninstall packages

Rustom Mody

Recently I had trouble with the sqlite package under my debian etch
box as follows:

I first installed the debian package python-pysqlite1.1 using
synaptic. Since this seemed too old for other packages (sqlalchemy) I
downloaded the sources pysqlite-2.3.4.tar.gz and ran setup install.

This gave the problem that _sqlite was not found.

And now the apt system started complaining that it could not uninstall
it because of some new files.

I finally (seem to have :) ) got it to work by going into
/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ and deleting the pysqlite directory
and reinstalling using apt.

However this is an unsatisfactory solution because I do not know what
else I should delete

So now my question: How does one uninstall *cleanly*

1> a package installed using setup.py install
2> a package installed with easy_install

Thanks

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

So now my question: How does one uninstall *cleanly*
1> a package installed using setup.py install
2> a package installed with easy_install

Run "setup.py install" with the --record option; then remove
all files that have been recorded as installed.

This is clean depending on the package being installed;
a package may perform additional actions which don't get
recorded in the --record option; in such a case, you need
to study setup.py and find out what these additional
actions are and how to revert them.

Regards,
Martin