How to use RSS Feeds?

Discussion in 'XML' started by Shawn, Oct 4, 2006.

  1. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Hi,

    I want to understand and follow RSS feed because many web pages provide
    RSS feed for updated new data(e.g. http://www.weather.gov/rss/). But I
    never get how to use it. The link below suppose explains everything and
    how to use it.
    http://www.firstgov.gov/Topics/Reference_Shelf/Libraries/RSS_Library/What_Is_RSS.shtml

    except:
    How Do I Use RSS Feeds?

    The first step is to choose an RSS reader. Each reader has a slightly
    different way of adding a new feed, also called a "channel." Follow the
    directions for your reader but, in most cases, here's how it works:

    Click on the link or small XML button near the feed you want. For
    example, FirstGov.gov Updates: News and Features. You'll see a page
    displaying XML code.
    From your web browser's address bar, copy the URL (web address). For
    example, the URL you would copy for FirstGov.gov Updates: News and
    Features is: http://www.firstgov.gov/rss/updates.xml.
    Paste that URL into the "Add New Channel" section of the reader. The RSS
    feed will start to display and regularly update the headlines for you.

    I don't have special software for viewing it. I have Web browser
    Firefox. The link above says that Firefox can do it. But I can't find
    "Add New Channel" in Firefox. It only displays the xml source code.

    Thank you very much for your help.

    Shawn, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Shawn

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Shawn wrote:

    > I don't have special software for viewing it. I have Web browser
    > Firefox. The link above says that Firefox can do it. But I can't find
    > "Add New Channel" in Firefox. It only displays the xml source code.

    This is pretty easy, although it's less than obvious.

    To make Firefox recognise an RSS feed "the easy way" then the HTML must
    contain the following <link> (or something like it).

    <LINK title="WCATWC Tsunami Events RSS"
    href="http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/rss/tsunamirss.xml"
    type=application/rss+xml rel=alternate>

    There aren't any such links on the pages you cite (nor should there be)
    but if you follow the links from the main list on
    http://www.weather.gov/rss/

    Then you'll find a page such as this, which is specific to one
    particular newsfeed
    http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/info/tsunamirssabout.html
    If you now look at the Firefox address box you'll see a square orange
    RSS icon up there. Click on that and you can add a "Live Bookmark" to
    it, the crudest sort of RSS reader that Firefox includes by default.

    The trouble is that you can only have one link like this per page, so
    it's hard to give lists of them -- you have to build the site with a
    page for each.

    If you use the Firefox Tools | Extensions menu and then look for more
    free downloadable extensions, then you'll find RSS extensions for
    Firefox that are much friendlier to use and more powerful. These have
    their own ways of adding feeds, but there's usually an option to just
    paste in the feed's own address.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 4, 2006

  3. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    Andy Dingley wrote:

    > There aren't any such links on the pages you cite (nor should there be)
    > but if you follow the links from the main list on
    > http://www.weather.gov/rss/
    >
    > Then you'll find a page such as this, which is specific to one
    > particular newsfeed
    > http://wcatwc.arh.noaa.gov/info/tsunamirssabout.html
    > If you now look at the Firefox address box you'll see a square orange
    > RSS icon up there. Click on that and you can add a "Live Bookmark" to
    > it, the crudest sort of RSS reader that Firefox includes by default.

    Thank you very much. I followed successfully all your instructions. I
    did add a "Live Bookmark".

    I am still not very clear about the concept "RSS feed" and what it is for.

    For example, after adding the live bookmark by clicking the orange icon,
    then I opened the web page, it becomes the following:

    To: Tsunami warning system participants along the U.S. Atlantic, Eastern
    Canadian and Gulf of Mexico coasts
    From: NOAA/NWS/West Coast-Alaska Tsunami Warning Center (Experimental
    Web Product)
    Subject: Tsunami Information Statement issued 10/2/2006 at 8:11PM EDT

    At 8:08 PM Eastern Daylight Time on October 2, an earthquake with
    preliminary magnitude 4.2 occurred 0 miles southeast of Bar Harbor, Maine.

    The magnitude is such that a tsunami WILL NOT be generated. This will be
    the only WC/ATWC message issued for this event.

    The location and magnitude are based on preliminary information. Further
    information will be issued by the United States Geological Survey

    Link to Standard Information Statement
    Link to XML/CAP Product
    //end of web display

    My questions is: what is the advantage of RSS feeds? Even a static HTML
    web page, I can re-write/update it everytime I need to. For the people
    who are interested in reading my web page, they can always come to my
    web page, open it and read "new" stuff.

    My guess is that, the advantage of new technology RSS feeds is such
    that, if I changed something in my web page, then the people who are
    interested/"subscribed" my web page will see the new thing. If I didn't
    change my web page, they will not be notified. Correct?

    BTW, I have found Google Reader being able to accept RSS feeds and of
    course have many lists together.

    Thank you very much.

    Shawn, Oct 4, 2006
  4. Shawn

    Shawn Guest

    BTW, is there possible such a way that I can "subscribe" this newsgroup
    into my Google Reader? I come back and forth to check if anybody has
    replied to my posting. Sometimes none, sometime somebody did. I am
    curious if there is a way to setup that if somebody replied to my
    posting, I will be notified.

    Also, I am very interested in buying used stuff from craiglist:
    http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/sss/

    Is there a way to setup that if somebody posted a dishwasher for sale, I
    will be notified?

    Thank you very much. I greatly appreciate it.

    Shawn, Oct 4, 2006
  5. Shawn

    Andy Dingley Guest

    Shawn wrote:

    > I am still not very clear about the concept "RSS feed" and what it is for.

    Try using a more commonplace RSS reader rather than Live Bookmakers.
    It's very convenient at what it's good for, but it's not the "standard"
    way to use RSS feeds.

    > My questions is: what is the advantage of RSS feeds? Even a static HTML
    > web page, I can re-write/update it everytime I need to. For the people
    > who are interested in reading my web page, they can always come to my
    > web page, open it and read "new" stuff.

    How would they _know_ that it was time to go and read it again?

    > My guess is that, the advantage of new technology RSS feeds is such
    > that, if I changed something in my web page, then the people who are
    > interested/"subscribed" my web page will see the new thing. If I didn't
    > change my web page, they will not be notified. Correct?

    Assuming that you're writing your "pages" through some sort of blog,
    then yes.
    Here's one of mine
    http://quercus.livejournal.com/data/rss

    (ignore the next para unless you really care)
    The simplest way to do this is for the RSS reader to poll the server at
    timed intervals. Most feeds will list a suggested polling interval to
    revisit at. There's also a "cloud" interface which allows the server to
    "push" the reader when the content actually is updated, thus notifying
    it it's time to poll again.

    > BTW, is there possible such a way that I can "subscribe" this newsgroup
    > into my Google Reader?

    Probably Go to http://groups.google.co.uk/group/comp.text.xml and see
    if it gives you a link to any RSS feed (it probably does)

    > Is there a way to setup that if somebody posted a dishwasher for sale,

    Possibly. That would depend on the site. It's quite common for sites to
    implement _lots_ of RSS feeds, including feeds on each small category.
    A few sites also allow users to store pre-defined search queries, and
    if they do this much it's quite easy to make them visible as RSS too.

    Andy Dingley, Oct 4, 2006
  6. Shawn wrote:

    > I want to understand and follow RSS feed because many web pages provide
    > RSS feed for updated new data(e.g. http://www.weather.gov/rss/).

    In this particular case, if firefox is your browser
    and you go to http://www.weather.gov/
    you will see the RSS symbol in the firefox title bar
    (to the right of http://www.weather.gov/).

    If you click on this symbol, you will be invited to add this site
    as a "live bookmark" to your toolbar.
    If you do this you will see it listed at the top of the firefox page,
    and if you click on this icon you will get a list of current news items
    for this site.

    In other words, almost everything is done for you.

    --
    Timothy Murphy
    tel: +353-86-2336090, +353-1-2842366

    Timothy Murphy, Oct 4, 2006