How widespread is the use of EJBs in app servers?

Patrick May

Hello,

I've frequently heard the statistic that over 70% of instances of
application servers are not used to run EJBs or other "enterprise"
level functionality. Presumably these servers are used primarily for
JSPs and servlets. Does this figure sound reasonable? Does anyone
have a pointer to documentation for it?

Thanks,

Patrick

Patrick May

Sudsy said:
The problems appear when you try to define the term "application
server". I don't believe the statistics quoted apply to J2EE servers
where I would expect 50%+ would be running EJBs. YMMV.

Why would you expect that? Are you aware of any documented
statistics?

Regards,

Patrick

Aleksi Kallio

I've frequently heard the statistic that over 70% of instances of
application servers are not used to run EJBs or other "enterprise"
level functionality. Presumably these servers are used primarily for
JSPs and servlets. Does this figure sound reasonable?

It sounds perfectly reasonable.
Does anyone have a pointer to documentation for it?

I don't have any documented statictics.

According to Sun 97% of app servers run Java, so it actually doesn't
make much difference are we speaking of all or only J2EE servers.

Sudsy

Patrick said:
Why would you expect that? Are you aware of any documented
statistics?

I'd expect that since I, for one, couldn't recommend a large,
expensive, albeit very capable, J2EE server unless I truly had
need for the power provided. If I wasn't delpoying EJBs then I
could (and do) use an Apache/Tomcat combination. It handles
all my WARs with aplomb and is inexpensive, i.e. free.
I'm presuming that others would arrive at similar conclusions.
Of course I could be dead wrong on this, which is why I added
YMMV.