    application servers are not used to run EJBs or other "enterprise"
    level functionality. Presumably these servers are used primarily for
    JSPs and servlets. Does this figure sound reasonable? Does anyone
    have a pointer to documentation for it?

    Thanks,

    Patrick

    S P Engineering, Inc. | The experts in large scale distributed OO

    Patrick May, Aug 18, 2003

  2. Patrick May

    Patrick May Guest

    Sudsy <> writes:
    > > I've frequently heard the statistic that over 70% of
    > > instances of application servers are not used to run EJBs or other
    > > "enterprise" level functionality. Presumably these servers are
    > > used primarily for JSPs and servlets. Does this figure sound
    > > reasonable? Does anyone have a pointer to documentation for it?

    > The problems appear when you try to define the term "application
    > server". I don't believe the statistics quoted apply to J2EE servers
    > where I would expect 50%+ would be running EJBs. YMMV.

    Why would you expect that? Are you aware of any documented
    statistics?

    Regards,

    Patrick May, Aug 19, 2003

  3. > I've frequently heard the statistic that over 70% of instances of
    > application servers are not used to run EJBs or other "enterprise"
    > level functionality. Presumably these servers are used primarily for
    > JSPs and servlets. Does this figure sound reasonable?

    It sounds perfectly reasonable.

    > Does anyone have a pointer to documentation for it?

    I don't have any documented statictics.

    According to Sun 97% of app servers run Java, so it actually doesn't
    make much difference are we speaking of all or only J2EE servers.

    Aleksi Kallio, Aug 19, 2003
  4. Patrick May

    Sudsy Guest

    Patrick May wrote:
    > Sudsy <> writes:
    >
    >>> I've frequently heard the statistic that over 70% of
    >>>instances of application servers are not used to run EJBs or other
    >>>"enterprise" level functionality. Presumably these servers are
    >>>used primarily for JSPs and servlets. Does this figure sound
    >>>reasonable? Does anyone have a pointer to documentation for it?

    >>The problems appear when you try to define the term "application
    >>server". I don't believe the statistics quoted apply to J2EE servers
    >>where I would expect 50%+ would be running EJBs. YMMV.

    > Why would you expect that? Are you aware of any documented
    > statistics?

    I'd expect that since I, for one, couldn't recommend a large,
    expensive, albeit very capable, J2EE server unless I truly had
    need for the power provided. If I wasn't delpoying EJBs then I
    could (and do) use an Apache/Tomcat combination. It handles
    all my WARs with aplomb and is inexpensive, i.e. free.
    I'm presuming that others would arrive at similar conclusions.
    Of course I could be dead wrong on this, which is why I added
    YMMV.

    Sudsy, Aug 19, 2003