Howto use email module and write the get_payload to a file withoutheaders only body msg

Discussion in 'Python' started by chuck amadi, Jun 22, 2004.

  1. chuck amadi

    chuck amadi Guest

    Hi I have managed to print the output of the get_payload to screen
    but I need to write to a file as I only require the email body messages
    from the mailbox.My script using the fp.readlines() function writes the
    entire contents of the mailbox of cause including the headers of the
    emails I do not want.

    I have tried a few things but I cant get to my goal.Any ideas or
    pointers I need only the email body and I cant figute out why I can
    using the print statement but get those results to a file.
    cheers

    import sys
    import os
    import email
    import mailbox
    import StringIO

    fp = file ("/var/spool/mail/chucka")

    mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp, email.message_from_file)
    # list of body messages.
    bodies = []

    # mail is the file object
    for mail in mbox:
    print 'mail'
    print mail['Subject']
    print mail.get_content_type()#text/plain
    print mail.get_payload()

    mailout = file("/home/chucka/pythonScript/SurveyResults1.txt","r")

    fp = open("/var/spool/mail/chucka")
    mb = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp, email.message_from_file)

    #for bdymsg in fp.xreadlines():
    #for bdymsg in fp.readlines():
    #for msgbodies in mb:
    # mailout.write(bdymsg)
    # bdymsg = mail.get_payload()
    # mailout.write(mail.get_payload()

    for bmsg in mb:
    bmsg = get_payload()
    mailout.write(bmsg)
    # bmsg = [get_payload]
    print "mailbox file copied...to SurveyResults.txt"

    # Now close the files
    mailout.close()
    chuck amadi, Jun 22, 2004