simple script to read and output Mailbox body to file.

Chuck Amadi

Sorry to bovver you again (again) here's script.

I still can't see why the get_payload() doesn't produce
the plain text message body of an emails in the testwwws users mailbox.
As you can see I have tried a few things but no joy what am I missing.

Is the another snippet in relation to get_payload to access the body contents
print and process to a file.

Cheers

Chuck

ds9:[pythonScriptMail] % cat getSurveyMail.py
## This script will open and parse email messages body content.
## This Python script will reside on Mail Server on ds9:
## Emails are all plain/text you could just write the following
## Which will leave a list of strings , each one a message body.
## The Survey User is testwws and the .procmailrc file folder is
## Survey . i.e /home/testwws/Mail/inbox/Survey .
## file:getSurveyMail.py Created : 06/06/04 Amended date: 07/06/04

#The following line makes it run itself(executable script on UN*X)
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import os
import email
import mailbox

# Open the testwws user mailbox (tmp user chuck)
# fp denotes factory paraemeter
# mode can be 'r' when the file will only be read, 'w' for only writing
#(an existing file with the same name will be erased), and 'a' opens the file
# for appending; any data written to the file is automatically added to the
end.
# 'r+' opens the file for both reading and writing. The mode.
output =("/tmp/SurveyResults", "w+a")
#output =('/tmp/SurveyResults','w')

# open() returns a file object, and is most commonly used with two arguments:
# "open(filename, mode)".
# /home/testwwws/Mail/work
#
# fp The file or file-like object passed at instantiation time. This can be
# used to read the message content.
fp = open("/var/spool/mail/testwwws")

#fp = open("/home/testwwws/Mail/work")

# message_from_file returns a message object struct tree from an
# open file object.

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp, email.message_from_file)
# list of body messages.
bodies = []

msg = email.message_from_file(fp)
# for loop iterates through the msg in the mbox(mailbox).
# Subparts of messages can be accessed via the -
# get_payload() method will return a string object.
# If it is multipart, use the "walk" method to iterate through each part and
the
# get the payload.In our case it's not multipart So ignore.
# for part in msg.walk():
# msg = part.get_payload()
# # do something(print)

for msg in mbox:
body = msg.get_payload()
bodies.append(body)
# output.close() to close it and free up any system resources taken up by the
open file.
# After calling output.close(), attempts to use the file object will
automatically fail.
#print bodies
print fp
print msg
print msg['body']
# print body - NameError: name 'msg' is not defined
#
#print >> output,bodies
#output.close()
#print the bodies list of the messages.
print bodies

William Park

Chuck Amadi said:
Sorry to bovver you again (again) here's script.

I still can't see why the get_payload() doesn't produce
the plain text message body of an emails in the testwwws users mailbox.
As you can see I have tried a few things but no joy what am I missing.

Is the another snippet in relation to get_payload to access the body
contents print and process to a file.
[snip]

You still haven't answered central questions.
- Do you want email bodies in separate files, or all email bodies in
one file?
- Do you want to collect these email bodies as they come in, or
periodically from a 'mbox' file?

fishboy

fp = open("/var/spool/mail/testwwws")

#fp = open("/home/testwwws/Mail/work")

# message_from_file returns a message object struct tree from an
# open file object.

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp, email.message_from_file)
# list of body messages.
bodies = []

msg = email.message_from_file(fp)
# # do something(print)

for msg in mbox:
body = msg.get_payload()
bodies.append(body)

Trimmed out a few comments

Ok, you dont need to pass UnixMailbox email.message_from_file if your
going to explictly parse later with msg = email.message_from_file(fp)

Your parsing the email message twice.

If there are still problems, try breaking it down a bit

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)
for mail in mbox:
print mail.read()
break #just look at one message

'mail' is a file obj pointing at a single email, so print mail.read()
should display one email, with headers. If that doesn't work we have
problems before we get anywhere

If that gives us something sensible for an output, try parsing the
email.

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)
for mail in mbox:
msg = email.message_from_file(mail)
print `msg` #backticks
print msg['Subject']
print msg.get_content_type()
break #just look at one message

Should give us something like:

<email.Message.Message instance at 0xa0e442c>
Re: Best IDE?
text/plain

And if that works, then

msg.get_payload() should return the body.

chuck amadi

William said:
Sorry to bovver you again (again) here's script.

I still can't see why the get_payload() doesn't produce
the plain text message body of an emails in the testwwws users mailbox.
As you can see I have tried a few things but no joy what am I missing.

Is the another snippet in relation to get_payload to access the body
contents print and process to a file.
[snip]

You still haven't answered central questions.
- Do you want email bodies in separate files, or all email bodies in
one file?
- Do you want to collect these email bodies as they come in, or
periodically from a 'mbox' file?
Hi There ,

I would like all email bodies in one file.Collect these email bodies as they come in, or periodically from a 'mbox' file? using cron.

I would lie cron to run the script and empty the mail user box in question to a file for extraction to a database.

Cheers

Chuck

Chuck Amadi

I have tried breaking it down a bit as per your post.
when I run it I still dont see any results even to my output file .
Im logged in as myself ansd trying to access the mailbox on the mailserver
which is mounted via nfs.The mail server has only version Python 1.5 So doesnt
know about the email module.

Cheers

output =('/tmp/SurveyResults','w')

fp = open("/var/spool/mail/chuck")

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)
for mail in mbox:
print mail.read()
break #just look at one message

fishboy

I have tried breaking it down a bit as per your post.
when I run it I still dont see any results even to my output file .
Im logged in as myself ansd trying to access the mailbox on the mailserver
which is mounted via nfs.The mail server has only version Python 1.5 So doesnt
know about the email module.

Cheers

output =('/tmp/SurveyResults','w')

fp = open("/var/spool/mail/chuck")

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)
for mail in mbox:
print mail.read()
break #just look at one message

What does a
$less /var/spool/mail/chuck
give you?

UnixMailbox is expecting a single file with all the emails
concatenated in it. UnixMailbox just splits them out one at a time.

Hrmmm, looking in the source, it recommends that you use
PortableUnixMailbox instead. If you can see the emails with the
'less' command, maybe that will work.

If you don't see any emails with 'less', I'm left wondering where your
emails are at?

William Park

chuck amadi said:
Hi There ,

I would like all email bodies in one file.Collect these email bodies
as they come in, or periodically from a 'mbox' file? using cron.

I would lie cron to run the script and empty the mail user box in
question to a file for extraction to a database.

Since your running Linux, you can simply do manual or periodic parsing
of mbox file and put the email bodies into 'file',
formail -I '' -s < mbox >> file
Or, use Procmail recipe as email comes in,
:0 b:
* some_condition
| cat >> file

Ref:
man formail procmail procmailrc procmailex

Homework:
Translate it to Python.

Chuck Amadi

Hi again I using this to test as instructed it runs on my local machine with
my /var/spool/mail/chuck dir
thats mounted on the mail server using nfs .
Thus I still get no output only when I print mbox.

NB Im digesting formail doc's and man pages.

Cheers

Chuck

#!/usr/bin/env python

import email
import mailbox

fp =open("/var/spool/mail/chuck")
mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)

for mail in mbox:
print mail.read()
break # Just reads one message

Chuck Amadi

Nice One I was thinking I was going mad at home this works .
But $ less /var/spool/mail/chuck produced no output.

I use scan+ to check and go thru users email folder . i.e

cd /home/User/Mail/Inbox said:
scan +Lottery > show 1 example below:

chuck@sevenofnine:~/pythonScript> cd /home/chuck/Mail
chuck@sevenofnine:~/Mail> ls
:0 Chuck drafts Inbox mhnjVMtAk pete post2ic2cT post57nXqr
postG9QD2D postW78Qle Root spam
Beth chucksMail from mbox Operator Pete post2iybnf post8ReyCU
posthArGZR postz5FN1w rootMail trash
chuck context inbox mhn9VVBQf outbox Pick6 post4XPUvv postc6DZgu
postnnglMC Rhys sent-mail
chuck@sevenofnine:~/Mail> scan +spam
1 06/08 Woolwich Internet Attention aII Woolwich clients.<<This is a
multi-part message in MIME format.
chuck@sevenofnine:~/Mail> show 1
(Message spam:1)
part 1 text/plain

Does this explain my delemour.We use procmail , fetchmail and sendmail

Cheers

Chuck Amadi

Hi again yes the /var/spool/mail/chuck is empty as we process the mail to the
user home dir using MH .
Thus created a mailbox using packf with three emails for testing .

Cheers for pointing this out.

Chuck Amadi

Hi using the breakdown script I managed this minis mail.read() just print mail.

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)
for mail in mbox:
print mail
break #just look at one message

Here's the output of the script. Cheers chuck

chuck@sevenofnine:~/pythonScript> python testmail.py
Subject: WWW Survey
To: (e-mail address removed)
From: (e-mail address removed)
Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 14:19:14 +0100

Chuck Amadi

This now works ! as you stated below.Now all the body messages is this down
using bodies [] list.

Cheers Chuck

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp)
for mail in mbox:
msg = email.message_from_file(mail)
print `mail` #backticks
print mail['Subject']
print mailget_content_type()
break #just look at one message

Gives me this:

chuck@sevenofnine:~/pythonScript> python getSurveyMail.py
mail
WWW Survey
text/plain
<wwwsurvey>
Country you are currently working in:<country>UNITED STATES</country>
Postal code or ZIP Code of your facility if you know it:<zipcode>
12345</zipcode>
Your Profession:<profession>Nurse</profession>
How long you have been qualifed:<qualified>&lt; 1 Year</qualified>
Is Wound Management Your primary role:<iswoundmgt>A major part of your daily
activities</iswoundmgt>
Specific area of interest in the list below:<specificareas>Veterinary
medicine</specificareas>
Do you read a paper &ndash; based wm journal:<journal>Yes</journal>
If Yes your comments:<jcomments>bugs news</jcomments>
Favorite topics in the World Wide Wounds:<favorite>['Dressings information',
'News']</favorite>
Further Information: required:<furtherinfo>all covered really</furtherinfo>
Your Email Address:<email>[email protected]</email>
</wwwsurvey>

that works, then I done this

msg.get_payload() should return the body. How about all the body messages in
file.

Thanks

Chuck Amadi

Hi again after breaking down the script into easier chunks .
I now get this .

Here's the output from the script but WHAT about all messages bodies

Cheers

[...]

Hi After createing a mailbox using packf
packf +/home/chuck/testwwws all -file testbox and thus cp 3 5 6 (emails) .

I get output with this except only one email header and body message , the
commented out stuff , does that iterate or can it produce all current 3 email
body messages. Cheers Im nearly there.

for mail in mbox:
# body = mail.get_payload()
# bodies.append(body)
# msg = mail.message_from_file(mail)
print 'mail'
print mail['Subject']
print mail.get_content_type()#text/plain
print mail.get_payload()
break # just look at one message

Chuck Amadi

Hi all forget my last post about all email body messages I added a comment
before break . Sorry for reading my own comments lines.

I get output desired .Now to pass to an external File.

for mail in mbox:
# body = mail.get_payload()
# bodies.append(body)
# msg = mail.message_from_file(mail)
print 'mail'
print mail['Subject']
print mail.get_content_type()#text/plain
print mail.get_payload()
# break # just look at one message

Chuck Amadi

Hi again

I get output desired .Now to parse the fileobject and all body messages to an
external File named SurveyResults.txt
Is this the correct way to go about it .

for mail in mbox:
# body = mail.get_payload()
# bodies.append(body)
# msg = mail.message_from_file(mail)
print 'mail'
print mail['Subject']
print mail.get_content_type()#text/plain
print mail.get_payload()
# break # just look at one message

# The File SurveyResults.txt must all ready exist.
output = open("SurveyResults.txt", 'w') # mode 'w' means open the file for
writ-ing (any data already in the file will be erased)
mailout = mail.get_payload()
output. writelines(mailout)

output. close() # this is at end of the script

Here's my error but I thought mail is my file

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "getSurveyMailRev2.py", line 37, in ?
mailout = mail.get_payload()
NameError: name 'mail' is not defined

Chuck Amadi

Hi please could someone point to what I have done wrong as the script runs
with no errors but the file I am trying to parse the print statement output
too instead of just the screen/command line to another file.

I have digested the Input and Output and text formatting docs and I read
something about using stdout to a file . Can someone point me in the right
direction.

Cheers my code below.

## This script will open and parse email messages body content.
## This Python script will reside on Mail Server on ds9:
## Emails are all plain/text you could just write the following
## Which will leave a list of strings , each one a message body.
## The Survey User is testwws and the .procmailrc file folder is
## Survey . i.e /home/testwws/Mail/inbox/Survey .
## file:getSurveyMail.py Created : 06/06/04 Amended date: 09/06/04
## Revision 1. make copy to continue called getSurveyMailRev2.py

#The following line makes it run itself(executable script on UN*X)
#!/usr/bin/env python

import sys
import os
import email
import mailbox
import StringIO

# Open the testwws user mailbox (tmp user chuck)
# fp denotes factory paraemeter
# mode can be 'r' when the file will only be read, 'w' for only writing
#(an existing file with the same name will be erased), and 'a' opens the file
# for appending; any data written to the file is automatically added to the end.
# 'r+' opens the file for both reading and writing. The mode.

# The File SurveyResults.txt must all ready exist.

#mailout = open("/home/chuck/pythonScript/SurveyResults.txt") # mode 'w' means open the file for writ-ing
# (any data already in the file will be erased)
#output.writelines(mailout)
mailout = file("/home/chuck/pythonScript/SurveyResults.txt")

# open() returns a file object, and is most commonly used with two arguments:
# "open(filename, mode)".
fp = open("/home/chuck/pythonScript/testbox")

# message_from_file returns a message object struct tree from an
# open file object.

mbox = mailbox.UnixMailbox(fp, email.message_from_file)
# list of body messages.
bodies = []

# mail is the file object
for mail in mbox:
print 'mail'
print mail['Subject']
print mail.get_content_type()#text/plain
print mail.get_payload()

# First open the testbox file to read(r) and write(w)to the SurveyResults.txt
#fp = open("testbox","r")
mailout = open("/home/chuck/pythonScript/SurveyResults.txt","w")

# Read the testbox file into a list then copy to
# new file.
for mail in fp.readlines():
mailout.write(mail)

print "testbox file copied...to SurveyResults.txt"

# Now close the files
fp.close()
mailout.close()

#mailout.close to close it and free up any system resources taken up by the open file.
# After calling output.close(), attempts to use the file object will automatically fail.