Simple Python script to read and output MailBox body to a file

Chuck Amadi

Has anyone got a simple python script that will parse a linux mbox and create
a large file to view .

Cheers

Chu

William Park

Chuck Amadi said:
Has anyone got a simple python script that will parse a linux mbox
and create a large file to view .

"Create a large file to view"? Care to elaborate?

Eric S. Johansson

William said:
"Create a large file to view"? Care to elaborate?

I've sent him a working example that disassembles mailboxes in both mbox and maildir form. Personally, I'm now scouting around for code that will let you delete and expunge messages from an mbox mailbox. I fear I need to pull my thumb out and expand the mailbox module to handle writing as well. mbox manipulations are butt ugly.

---eric

chuck amadi

Eric said:
I've sent him a working example that disassembles mailboxes in both
mbox and maildir form. Personally, I'm now scouting around for code
that will let you delete and expunge messages from an mbox mailbox. I
fear I need to pull my thumb out and expand the mailbox module to
handle writing as well. mbox manipulations are butt ugly.

---eric

Cheers I do note that I need to create a global-config file I have
seen something on this in O'Reilly Python Programming . Albiet I dont
need to connect to a pop3 account .Thus would this script need a bit
of hacking or is the script I got sufficient as Monday 7th is my D-Day
to get that script working and demo to my boss.

Note briefly my main goal is to get the body content to another file for
processing to Postgresql database.

#file: getSurveyMail.py
## The email messages is read as flat text form a file or other source,
##the text is parsed to produce the object structure of the email message.
#!/usr/bin/env python

import mboxutils
import mailbox
import email
import sys
import os
import rfc822
import StringIO
import email.Parser
import types

# email package for managing email messages
# Open Users Mailbox
# class Message()

def main():

# The Directory that will contain the Survey Results

dir = "/tmp/SurveyResults/"
# The Web Survey User Inbox
# Mailbox /home/testwwws/Mail/inbox

maildir = "/home/testwwws/Mail/inbox"
for file in os.listdir(maildir):

print os.path.join(maildir, file)

fp = open(os.path.join(maildir, file), "rb")
p = email.Parser.Parser()
msg = p.parse(fp)
fp.close()
#print msg.get("From")
#print msg.get("Content-Type")

counter = 1
for part in msg.walk():
if part.get_main_type() == 'multipart':
continue

filename = part.get_param("name")
if filename==None:
filename = "part-%i" % counter
counter += 1

fp = open(os.path.join(dir, filename), 'wb')
print os.path.join(dir, filename)
fp.write(part.get_payload(decode=1))
fp.close()

if __name__ == '__main__':
main()

William Park

chuck amadi said:
Note briefly my main goal is to get the body content to another file
for processing to Postgresql database.

One email body per file, or all email bodies in one file?