HREF and TARGET

shank

Line 95, column 10: there is no attribute "TARGET" (explain...).
target="_blank">
__________________________________________________________^

I'm validating 4.01 Strict and the above error came up.
What is the replacement string or method for the target="_blank".
thanks!

Ben

David said:
In order of preference:

(1) Do not try to force a new window on your visitors.

On rare occasion it is good though. Ocassionally, I am filling out a
form at at the bottom I will get a link to conditions of service or some
such thing and it is annoying when it takes you to another page so that
when you use the back button the form contents has been wiped out. Much
preferable in such cased to get another window I think.

regards,
Ben

Ben

Ben said:
On rare occasion it is good though. Ocassionally, I am filling out a
form at at the bottom I will get a link to conditions of service or some
such thing and it is annoying when it takes you to another page so that
when you use the back button the form contents has been wiped out. Much
preferable in such cased to get another window I think.

regards,
Ben

Of course, if they just left it as a regular link, I could open it up in
another tab anyway. Pop up windows usually come up blank in separate tabs.

Ben

Kris

(1) Do not try to force a new window on your visitors.

On rare occasion it is good though. Ocassionally, I am filling out a
form at at the bottom I will get a link to conditions of service or some
such thing and it is annoying when it takes you to another page so that
when you use the back button the form contents has been wiped out. Much
preferable in such cased to get another window I think.[/QUOTE]

Open the new window manually, or change the settings of your browser. I
remember there was something in IE about erasing prior form input. Funny
how people first have to learn to drive before using a _car_...

shank

David Dorward said:
In order of preference:

(1) Do not try to force a new window on your visitors.

http://diveintoaccessibility.org/day_16_not_opening_new_windows.html

(2) JavaScript

This particular window is for the sake of showing our SSL certificate. If we
don't open a new window, the user would be transported to another website.
We don't want that. The pop up shows the certificate, customer reads it,
closes it and moves on without missing a beat.

Personally, when I use search engines I use the shift key constantly. If
you're researching a link, too many times you have to drill down a few
pages. That's all the more pages that take you away from your original
search results.
thanks!

David Dorward

shank said:
Personally, when I use search engines I use the shift key constantly.

And I use the middle mouse button a lot - but its my choice, and its a new
tab, not a new window. When I don't want a window and a site forces it on
me, its annoying.

JT

shank said:
Line 95, column 10: there is no attribute "TARGET" (explain...).
target="_blank">

I'm validating 4.01 Strict and the above error came up.
What is the replacement string or method for the target="_blank".

This validates for me by adding : TEXT HERE</a>
target="_blank">TEXT HERE</a>

mark | r

Kris said:
On rare occasion it is good though. Ocassionally, I am filling out a
[/QUOTE]
Open the new window manually, or change the settings of your browser. I
remember there was something in IE about erasing prior form input. Funny
how people first have to learn to drive before using a _car_...

Actually, these days I usually do since with Firebird all you have to do
is middle click on a link for it to come up as in a separate tab. Most
popup windows come up blank for some reason though, so then I would
click on them as normal. I imagine IE would be a pain in the behind though.

regards,
Ben

shank

mark | r said:

onclick="window.open=this.href">
This closed the original window, but did open a new window.
Unfortunately, I cannot have the original window closed.
thanks!

Kris

shank said:
Personally, when I use search engines I use the shift key constantly.

The point is not what you like to do during browsing, what I like to do
or what whoever likes to do. The point is that they have the choice to
do it in a way they like to do and not that you determine that for them.

Kris

shank said:
onclick="window.open=this.href">
This closed the original window, but did open a new window.
Unfortunately, I cannot have the original window closed.

window.open(this.href,'rating')

EightNineThree

shank said:
Line 95, column 10: there is no attribute "TARGET" (explain...).
target="_blank">
__________________________________________________________^

I'm validating 4.01 Strict and the above error came up.
What is the replacement string or method for the target="_blank".
thanks!

1. Change the DTD to 4.01 transitional
2. Remove the attribute

--
Karl Core

At times one remains faithful to a cause only because its opponents do not
cease to be insipid.
Friedrich Nietzsche

eightninethree AT eightninethree.com

Ben Dover - Mental Patient 0057

Ben said:
On rare occasion it is good though. Ocassionally, I am filling out a
form at at the bottom I will get a link to conditions of service or some
such thing and it is annoying when it takes you to another page so that
when you use the back button the form contents has been wiped out. Much
preferable in such cased to get another window I think.

or if you're looking to buy a house and you fill out this really long
form with lots of your financial info. and you need one of their
mortgage calculators, you'd also want a nice small pop-up calc.