HTML book recomendation

Jud McCranie

I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

Jonathan N. Little

Jud said:
I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

If you want a quick start to get going with correct information (most
out there is either obsolete or just plain wrong), then try the
tutorials at www.htmldog.com

After completion of those tutorials, #1 will be not needed, and you will
know what is applicable and what is not (e.g, XHTML) with #2 & #3.

Jud McCranie

tutorials at www.htmldog.com

Thanks, I'll look at that, but I prefer physical books because I can
take them with me, make notes in the margins, etc.

dorayme

Jud McCranie said:
Thanks, I'll look at that, but I prefer physical books because I can
take them with me, make notes in the margins, etc.

Time maybe to get the printer firing...

David Segall

Jud McCranie said:
I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
I like "The Definitive Guide" series. I also have the CSS and
JavaScript volumes. In addition to providing clear training in the
topics they remain very useful as reference manuals.

Nik Coughlin

Jud McCranie said:
I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I have another Head First book, I remember when I first read it I thought it
was one of the best technical books I'd ever read (Head First Design
Patterns). If the HTML one is anywhere near as good then it's probably
awesome.

mark4asp

I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

I agree with the other commentators. Only #2 above will be a good
reference after you've finished reading the book. Read the others if
you want to but get them from the library rather than pay. Given the
price of technical books it's a real shame to spend so much money on
something you throw away after reading.

* A nice css book is Wrox press "Beginning CSS", by Richard York - it's
suitable for all, from beginners to experienced coders, like me, who've
never before taken the time to learn css because they considered it too
easy or below them! It's full of gems and useful detailed information
which I wish I'd read years ago as well as being a great reference on
css.

* "Accessible XHTML and CSS Web Sites", also published by Wrox is a nice
book too, but it may not be strictly a beginner's book.

* I use Danny Goodman's "DHTML - The Definitive Reference" which I can't
recommend for you because it's way OTT; it's a reference not a tutorial
and covers stuff you probably don't want to know. Essential reference
book for advanced coders though.

Sorry I can't recommend a beginner's html book but I've never read one.
That "Beginning Css" would definitely be worth it for you. A book I
used to swear by was Jennifer Niederst's "Web Design in a Nutshell",
which is really a book for web coders - not a "design" book and it may
be showing it's age now even if it is in its 3rd edition.

Blinky the Shark

Jud said:
I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews

I'm sure it would here, too.
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?

If you mean "O'Reilly", they're excellent. I have a whole shelf of them
here and they've never disappointed me.

Toby A Inkster

Jud said:
Thanks, I'll look at that, but I prefer physical books because I can
take them with me, make notes in the margins, etc.

There is an HTMLDog book available -- see the website.

--
Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS
[OS: Linux 2.6.17.14-mm-desktop-9mdvsmp, up 4 days, 16:11.]

Sharing Music with Apple iTunes
http://tobyinkster.co.uk/blog/2007/11/28/itunes-sharing/

Andy Dingley

After completion of those tutorials, #1 will be not needed, and you will
know what is applicable and what is not (e.g, XHTML) with #2 & #3.

Or just read #3. One of the nice things about it is its appropriate
treatment of XHTML.

SAZ

I'm seeking a recommendation for a simple HTML book. One that doesn't
get into it too deeply. I know just a little about HTML. I was
considering these:

1. HTML for Dummies - but it got some poor reviews
2. HTML & XHTML: The Definite Guide
3. Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML

The last two are O'Riley books. From what I've read, I'm leaning
toward #3. Does anyone have a recommendation?
You can't go wrong with any O'Reilly book.

dorayme

Jud McCranie said:
A bunch of unbound, single-sided sheets is not a good solution.

Fair enough, but remember the revolution the computer brought in,
especially with the Mac, called Desktop Publishing? There would
be ways to print both sides, or in landscape and ready to bind
for yourself. You could make up your book to suit your interests
and knowledge. Why, you could even index it specially.

Me, I don't bother. I like single loose sheets. Advantages:

(1) Print what you want

(2) Print in a font and size comfortable to you

(3) Lighter to hold one page at a time lying back somewhere like
on a beach, under a nice tree, on a couch or bed. Don't staple
together.

(4) When you have gotten all you are likely to get from the
pages, you can put them through the printer again and on the
backs, print sudokus or 'chess mates in 2' (or 3 or 4). You get
to throw them into the recycle after solving the backs. Other
humans get to read things on molecules that have some done some
good in the world.

dorayme

Ed Mullen said:
!!! So print the odd pages first, turn them over and re-insert into the
printer, print the even pages. And then invest in a thing called a
"stapler." Geez.

Someone gave me a stapleless staple one Xmas. Silly thing really,
it sort of cleverly punches a hole and folds the bits so the
pages stick together. I gave it as a present the next year to
someone else. It is not as robust as metal ones.

Ed Mullen

dorayme said:
backs, print sudokus or 'chess mates in 2' (or 3 or 4). You get
to throw them into the recycle after solving the backs. Other
humans get to read things on molecules that have some done some
good in the world.

I tried to read molecules once but my eye doctor told me my arms weren't
long enough any more.

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net

Andy Dingley

You can't go wrong with any O'Reilly book.

Well you certainly _can_, including almost anything with an animal
cover that they've published in the last few years. The days when
O'Reillys could automatically be assumed to be worth reading were over
some time ago.

Fortunately the Head First series are a return to form (albeit a
slightly unusual heavily-tutorial form that doesn't even try to be an
ongoing reference). I've also heard good things about the recent ones
with coloured prints of animals as covers.

DocuMaker

If you're looking for introductory content, you can never go wrong
with the dummies series.