HTML <form> and redirecting the result

Marc Heiler

Hi there,

since a long time I am using a very simple ruby script that translates
input like

'goo' or 'g' or 'google' to the remote URL of google

via a big case menu.

It has maybe one thousand entries or more, keeping my local pages
together to.

For example if i type
'open ruby'
it will open my local ruby page.
'browse php'
it will open my local php page (i decided that my local stuff has
priority over remote php webpage)

Anyway, the point of my message here is that this works beautifully, and
I thought that I would like to have a little html <form> element which
redirects me to the page once i finished typing and pressed submit (or
hit enter)

But how do I do this?

For example, if i type 'ruby' in the <input> field, i would like to be
redirected to the ruby homepage or similar when i press enter.

Will I need javascript for this redirection? Or a .cgi page required?

Any hints appreciated. If possible I'd rather prefer pure ruby than
anything with javascript. I dont like leaving ruby. But for this
functionality it would be fine, because right now I always use a shell,
and firefox does not seem to have a nice happy shell ;)

Lay Lee

if i need to do this function, i'll use javascript.