HTML Paragraph question

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by MW de Jager, Jul 6, 2005.

  1. MW de Jager

    MW de Jager Guest

    Hi all

    I'm not an HTML programmer so please excuse my ignorance.

    I am trying to force text to display on the next line, but I do not want an
    emply line between lines of text.

    Option1
    Option2
    Option3 etc. with no blank lines inbetween.

    What am I doing wrong if it displays as below

    Option1

    Option2

    Option3

    Thanking you all in advance

    Regards
    MW de Jager
    MW de Jager, Jul 6, 2005

  2. try using </br> instead of </p>

    --
    Regards

    John Timney
    ASP.NET MVP
    Microsoft Regional Director

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Jul 6, 2005

  3. MW de Jager

    Guest

    Hi de Jager,

    Browsers display the <p> tag with some space between if you dont tell them
    otherwise. You can influence the appearance through a cascading style sheet
    (CSS).
    Im afraid it takes some time to master css but its the only way to do it
    if you want to keep the <p> tag. Check out the CSS margin properties.

    ( The easy solution is to just put a line break after each option Option1&nbsp;Option2.
    "&nbsp;" is the weird looking consturct that gives you a line break )

    Let me know if you have any more questions..

    Cheers,
    Tom Pester

    > Hi all
    >
    > I'm not an HTML programmer so please excuse my ignorance.
    >
    > I am trying to force text to display on the next line, but I do not
    > want an emply line between lines of text.
    >
    > Option1
    > Option2
    > Option3 etc. with no blank lines inbetween.
    > What am I doing wrong if it displays as below
    >
    > Option1
    >
    > Option2
    >
    > Option3
    >
    > Thanking you all in advance
    >
    > Regards
    > MW de Jage
    , Jul 6, 2005
  4. MW de Jager

    Hans Kesting Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi de Jager,
    >
    > ( The easy solution is to just put a line break after each option
    > Option1&nbsp;Option2. "&nbsp;" is the weird looking consturct that
    > gives you a line break )

    &nbsp; does NOT give a linebreak, instead it prevents an automatic linebreak!

    nbsp stands for Non Breaking SPace: the user sees a space, but the browser doesn't,
    so will never try to put a linebreak there.

    Hans Kesting
    Hans Kesting, Jul 6, 2005
  5. MW de Jager

    MW de Jager Guest

    Thank you, I'll try the &nbsp first.

    Regards
    MW

    MW de Jager, Jul 6, 2005
  6. MW de Jager

    MW de Jager Guest

    &nbsp; just gives me a space, not a line break

    MW

    MW de Jager, Jul 6, 2005
  7. MW de Jager

    MW de Jager Guest

    The </br> works fine. Is this still well formed html though

    <P>Option1</br>
    Option2</br>
    Option3</br></P>

    Kind regards
    MW

    "John Timney (ASP.NET MVP)" <> wrote in message news:%...
    try using </br> instead of </p>

    MW de Jager, Jul 6, 2005
  8. MW de Jager

    Guest

    Forget my previous comment on &nbsp; It achieves the opposite of what you
    want.

    The code you posted is well formed. I think if you begin with HTML its ok
    if what you see in the browser is what you want.

    But someone who writes a lot of html would say that you loose the information
    that option1 is a paragraph on its own (if that is what you want).
    If you want to advance you will have too look at CSS some time.

    Cheers,
    Tom Pester

    > The </br> works fine. Is this still well formed html though
    >
    > <P>Option1</br>
    > Option2</br>
    > Option3</br></P>
    > Kind regards
    > MW
    > "John Timney (ASP.NET MVP)" <> wrote in message
    > try using </br> instead of </p>
    > --
    > Regards
    > John Timney
    > ASP.NET MVP
    > Microsoft Regional Director
    > "MW de Jager" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all
    > I'm not an HTML programmer so please excuse my ignorance.
    >
    > I am trying to force text to display on the next line, but I do
    > not
    > want an
    > emply line between lines of text.
    > Option1
    > Option2
    > Option3 etc. with no blank lines inbetween.
    > What am I doing wrong if it displays as below
    >
    > Option1
    >
    > Option2
    >
    > Option3
    >
    > Thanking you all in advance
    >
    > Regards
    > MW de Jager
    , Jul 6, 2005
  9. MW de Jager

    Hans Kesting Guest

    It's just <br>, you don't want (need) the "/" in there.
    If you want it in xhtml, then use <br />.

    Hans Kesting

    John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\), Jul 6, 2005