HTML Paragraph question

MW de Jager

Hi all

I'm not an HTML programmer so please excuse my ignorance.

I am trying to force text to display on the next line, but I do not want an
emply line between lines of text.

Option1
Option2
Option3 etc. with no blank lines inbetween.

What am I doing wrong if it displays as below

Option1

Option2

Option3

Thanking you all in advance

Regards
MW de Jager

John Timney \(ASP.NET MVP\)

try using </br> instead of </p>

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Hi all

I'm not an HTML programmer so please excuse my ignorance.

I am trying to force text to display on the next line, but I do not want an
emply line between lines of text.

Option1
Option2
Option3 etc. with no blank lines inbetween.

What am I doing wrong if it displays as below

Option1

Option2

Option3

Thanking you all in advance

Regards
MW de Jager

Tom.PesterDELETETHISSS

Hi de Jager,

Browsers display the <p> tag with some space between if you dont tell them
otherwise. You can influence the appearance through a cascading style sheet
(CSS).
Im afraid it takes some time to master css but its the only way to do it
if you want to keep the <p> tag. Check out the CSS margin properties.

( The easy solution is to just put a line break after each option Option1&nbsp;Option2.
"&nbsp;" is the weird looking consturct that gives you a line break )

Let me know if you have any more questions..

Cheers,
Tom Pester

Hans Kesting

Hi de Jager,

( The easy solution is to just put a line break after each option
Option1&nbsp;Option2. "&nbsp;" is the weird looking consturct that
gives you a line break )

&nbsp; does NOT give a linebreak, instead it prevents an automatic linebreak!

nbsp stands for Non Breaking SPace: the user sees a space, but the browser doesn't,
so will never try to put a linebreak there.

Hans Kesting

MW de Jager

Thank you, I'll try the &nbsp first.

Regards
MW

Hi de Jager,

Browsers display the <p> tag with some space between if you dont tell them
otherwise. You can influence the appearance through a cascading style
sheet (CSS).
Im afraid it takes some time to master css but its the only way to do it
if you want to keep the <p> tag. Check out the CSS margin properties.

( The easy solution is to just put a line break after each option
Option1&nbsp;Option2. "&nbsp;" is the weird looking consturct that gives
you a line break )

Let me know if you have any more questions..

Cheers,
Tom Pester

MW de Jager

The </br> works fine. Is this still well formed html though

<P>Option1</br>
Option2</br>
Option3</br></P>

Kind regards
MW

try using </br> instead of </p>

--
Regards

John Timney
ASP.NET MVP
Microsoft Regional Director

Hi all

I'm not an HTML programmer so please excuse my ignorance.

I am trying to force text to display on the next line, but I do not want an
emply line between lines of text.

Option1
Option2
Option3 etc. with no blank lines inbetween.

What am I doing wrong if it displays as below

Option1

Option2

Option3

Thanking you all in advance

Regards
MW de Jager

Tom.PesterDELETETHISSS

Forget my previous comment on &nbsp; It achieves the opposite of what you
want.

The code you posted is well formed. I think if you begin with HTML its ok
if what you see in the browser is what you want.

But someone who writes a lot of html would say that you loose the information
that option1 is a paragraph on its own (if that is what you want).
If you want to advance you will have too look at CSS some time.

Cheers,
Tom Pester

Hans Kesting

It's just <br>, you don't want (need) the "/" in there.
If you want it in xhtml, then use <br />.

Hans Kesting

[...]

thats what I meant ..........lol