HTTP error 405 for 'PUT' verb

Kenneth Myhra

Hi all, while trying to convert a C++ ISAPI-filter, used to authorize file
requests, to .NET we have gotten into a problem with the 'PUT' verb. First I
will explain how we do this. We are implementing the IHttpModule, and
mapping up the file-types in IIS to aspnet_isapi.dll by using Application
mappings, so that our IHttpModule will be triggered when the specific
file-type(s) is requested. You can get to these settings by displaying the
properties for a [virtual folder]/[web application] and clicking the
'Configuration' button on the 'Virtual Directory' tab. The weird thing is
that as long as the file types are not mapped up to the aspnet_isapi.dll we
do not receive an error and the files are uploaded. But as soon as we set
the Application mapping we can no longer upload files, and we receive the
HTTP error 405 'method not allowed'. So my question is how do I get around
this so that I can upload files while they are mapped to the
aspnet_isapi.dll? It is *not* an option to remove these mappings as they are
necessary for our IHttpModule implementation to work.

Regards,
Kenneth Myhra

bruce barker

asp.net does not have support for the put verb, so you will have to write a
module to implement the put verb, as the asp.net filter replaced the front
page extension (or whatever you were using) that implemented "put".

rather than using asp.net, you could write a ISAPI C++ filter that loaded a
..net module to perform the filter (could even load the ihttpmodule). this
would be rather trival.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)