HTTP Post

Discussion in 'C++' started by Andy Lai, Nov 12, 2004.

  1. Andy Lai

    Andy Lai Guest

    Hi,

    I am writing a C++ program which needs to post an XML to an HTTP
    server periodically and the program will run on different platforms
    including w32, linux, and unix.

    I see that there are some library available out there including cURL
    and Libwww from w3c. I will spend some time on them myself but if
    anyone are familiar with them, please share know how good they
    compile/run on different platforms. Also, if there is a better HTTP
    library out there, I appreciate if anyone will bring that to my
    attention.

    Since I need only the POST command, I'm also thinking about writing it
    myself using socket. That may be even less time consuming. Am I wrong?
    Any thought is greatly appreciated.

    Thanks,
    Andy

    Andy Lai, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Andy Lai wrote:
    > I am writing a C++ program which needs to post an XML to an HTTP
    > server periodically and the program will run on different platforms
    > including w32, linux, and unix.
    >
    > I see that there are some library available out there including cURL
    > and Libwww from w3c. I will spend some time on them myself but if
    > anyone are familiar with them, please share know how good they
    > compile/run on different platforms. Also, if there is a better HTTP
    > library out there, I appreciate if anyone will bring that to my
    > attention.
    >
    > Since I need only the POST command, I'm also thinking about writing it
    > myself using socket. That may be even less time consuming. Am I wrong?
    > Any thought is greatly appreciated.

    Here is a thought: this is a C++ _language_ newsgroup. Unless you have
    a _language_ question, you should find a different newsgroup, where your
    issue is on topic. Try comp.infosystems.www.***

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Victor,

    Since you seem to be the self-appointed hall-monitor for
    this forum, I have a question for you.

    Suppose someone has a question of the form

    How to do X in C++?

    where X bears no immediate relation to C++ other than it
    is a general programming task which can be done in C++.
    Do you consider such a question off-topic at comp.lang.c++?
    If so why? In what newsgroup group should it be posted?

    Suppose there is a newsgroup Z.Y.X. Would the question then
    be on-topic for that newsgroup? What if there is a Victor
    that haunts Z.Y.X who says

    Here is a thought: this is an X newsgroup. Unless you have
    an X question, you should find a different newsgroup, where
    your issue is on topic. Try comp.lang.c++*.

    > Here is a thought: this is a C++ _language_ newsgroup. Unless you have
    > a _language_ question, you should find a different newsgroup, where your
    > issue is on topic. Try comp.infosystems.www.***

    Keith

    Exercise 1) generalize your logic to questions of the form

    Q = X1 X2

    and deduce whether Q is on topic at either, both, or neither
    of newsgroups Z1.Y1.X1 and Z2.Y2.X2.

    Keith H Duggar, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Andy Lai

    Default User Guest

    Keith H Duggar wrote:

    > Victor,
    >
    > Since you seem to be the self-appointed hall-monitor for
    > this forum, I have a question for you.

    It's not just Victor that supports the goal of topicality, so disabuse
    your pissy little self of that bogus idea.

    > Suppose someone has a question of the form
    >
    > How to do X in C++?
    >
    > where X bears no immediate relation to C++ other than it
    > is a general programming task which can be done in C++.
    > Do you consider such a question off-topic at comp.lang.c++?

    I do.

    > If so why? In what newsgroup group should it be posted?

    Usually comp.programming, unless you can be more specific.

    > Suppose there is a newsgroup Z.Y.X. Would the question then
    > be on-topic for that newsgroup?

    Who knows? You start out by checking to see if they have a FAQ list
    that covers topicality and you read the group to find out what sort of
    messages are typically posted.

    Another whiny crybaby who can't be bothered to follow basic netiquette.

    Brian

    Default User, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Andy Lai

    Jonan Guest

    I see that you, Keith, think it's better to be able to ask _any_ question
    _anywhere_. You probably don't realize that if a group is not concerned
    solely on ONE topic it'll become useless pretty soon. That's why Victor
    pointed that __this___ question is not for here. And all its answers are not
    for here either, because this might lead more and more people asking how to
    make their brain new combo-box with the newest XYX IDE and this will destroy
    the usefullness of the group.
    How you judge whether it's for here or not - despite other things - a simple
    "common sense". And to answer your question:
    "How to do X in C++?"
    __Everything__ that can be done on computer can be done in C++, actually
    more things thatn in Java, C#, PHP, etc. Of course, it can be proven that
    all languages are theoretically equal, but that's another story. So - do you
    think that here you can ask about everything concerning computers?
    -Jonan

    Jonan, Nov 12, 2004
  6. "Keith H Duggar" <> wrote in message news:...
    > Victor,
    >
    > Since you seem to be the self-appointed hall-monitor for
    > this forum, I have a question for you.

    That statement is an unmistakable sign of a problem here.
    You must be very new to Usenet since you are apparently
    ignorant of the fact that topicality is always enforced (when
    enforced) by volunteers in the unmoderated newsgroups.

    > Suppose someone has a question of the form
    >
    > How to do X in C++?
    >
    > where X bears no immediate relation to C++ other than it
    > is a general programming task which can be done in C++.
    > Do you consider such a question off-topic at comp.lang.c++?

    I certainly consider it off-topic.

    > If so why?

    Because the topic here is focused on C++ language issues
    and issues that arise due to specific features of C++ that
    are not common to most programming languages.

    > In what newsgroup group should it be posted?

    comp.programming would be a good start, unless there is
    something more specifically pertinent.

    > Suppose there is a newsgroup Z.Y.X. Would the question then
    > be on-topic for that newsgroup? What if there is a Victor
    > that haunts Z.Y.X who says

    Victor does not "haunt" this newsgroup. He provides good
    topical advice and helps keep it topical, a service to those who
    participate as either question posers or question answerers.

    > Here is a thought: this is an X newsgroup. Unless you have
    > an X question, you should find a different newsgroup, where
    > your issue is on topic. Try comp.lang.c++*.

    [From a post preceeding Mr. Duggar's, The following material
    appears to have been quoted from Victor's post without attribution.]
    >> Here is a thought: this is a C++ _language_ newsgroup. Unless you have
    >> a _language_ question, you should find a different newsgroup, where your
    >> issue is on topic. Try comp.infosystems.www.***

    > Keith
    >
    > Exercise 1) generalize your logic to questions of the form

    Since Victor is not a student of yours, and has no reason to
    undertake self-improvement with your guidance, why should
    he go along with your "exercise" suggestions? You would do
    well to drop the attitude here.

    > Q = X1 X2
    >
    > and deduce whether Q is on topic at either, both, or neither
    > of newsgroups Z1.Y1.X1 and Z2.Y2.X2.

    Since you seem to prefer matters simplified, and seem to have
    oversimplified the issue for purposes of argumentation, let's
    consider a concrete form of your abstract "exercise".

    Suppose there is a newsgroup about carpentry. Suppose there
    is another newsgroup about structural engineering. According
    to your implied reasoning, a question such as "How do I build
    a foot bridge with wood?" would be topical in either place.

    --
    --Larry Brasfield
    email:

    Larry Brasfield, Nov 13, 2004
  7. > I see that you, Keith, think it's better to be able to ask _any_ question
    > _anywhere_.

    Striking exaggeration of what I actually asked.

    > You probably don't realize that if a group is not concerned
    > solely on ONE topic it'll become useless pretty soon.

    The question isn't whether this group should be concerned
    with "ONE topic". The question was whether the OP's post
    was within that "ONE topic".

    > That's why Victor pointed that __this___ question is not for here

    In his opinion, which I dispute.

    > And all its answers are not for here either

    Then why are you answering?

    > because this might lead more and more people asking how to make
    > their brain new combo-box with the newest XYX IDE and this will
    > destroy the usefulness of the group.

    "might" is not a good enough justification for censoring topics
    that some consider topical.

    > How you judge whether it's for here or not - despite other things - a simple
    > "common sense".

    I agree, and my common sense tells me Victor was wrong. I bet
    the OP would have made it into c.l.c++.m as numerous similar
    posts have made it. And, I consider the moderators to have
    more than reasonable common sense. (see also my response to
    "Default Jerk")

    > And to answer your question: "How to do X in C++?"
    > __Everything__ that can be done on computer can be done in
    > C++, actually more things thatn in Java, C#, PHP, etc. ...
    > So - do you think that here you can ask about everything
    > concerning computers?

    If you asking how to do it in C++, yes I would say so. Or
    at most they should simply be ignored. These outbursts by
    the self-important "false" moderators effect no good. Though
    an answer or polite nudging to a more appropriate newgroup
    (if there is one) is helpful.

    Keith H Duggar, Nov 13, 2004
  8. > > Suppose someone has a question of the form

    > > How to do X in C++?
    > >
    > > where X bears no immediate relation to C++ other than it
    > > is a general programming task which can be done in C++.
    > > Do you consider such a question off-topic at comp.lang.c++?

    > I do.
    >
    > > If so why? In what newsgroup group should it be posted?

    > Usually comp.programming, unless you can be more specific.
    >
    > > Suppose there is a newsgroup Z.Y.X. Would the question then
    > > be on-topic for that newsgroup?

    > Who knows? You start out by checking to see if they have a FAQ list
    > that covers topicality and you read the group to find out what sort of
    > messages are typically posted.

    Do you respect the judgment of the c.l.c++ moderators? If so
    take a look at the topics in c.l.c++.m over the last week.
    By your and Victor's reasoning all of the following threads
    are off-topic

    "Convert CString to HEX" victor participated
    "Threading: early days" threads off topic
    "Lint and boost"
    "Mutex implementation"
    "Loki visitor question"
    "c++ libray for http protocol"
    "Errors using RogueWave template class"

    CString, Lint, Boost, Loki, and RogueWave are not part of
    the C++ language. And the blessed Victor even posted in the
    "off topic" CString discussion. C++ does not support
    concurrency so threading and mutexes are not part of the
    language. (By the way threading is a very common topic in
    c.l.c++* despite the fact that C++ is not a concurrent
    language.) Finally the question about http protocol libraries
    is very similar to the spirit of this original post.

    So if the moderators felt all those topics were topical,
    where do you get off claiming they are not and why should we
    care what you claim? Especially when you don't even have the
    guts to associate your foul comments with your real identity.

    > It's not just Victor that supports the goal of topicality, so disabuse
    > your pissy little self of that bogus idea.

    > Another whiny crybaby who can't be bothered to follow basic netiquette.

    One need only read those two comments to see that it is you
    who whines and can't be bothered with basic netiquette (or
    even common civility for that matter).

    Keith H Duggar, Nov 13, 2004
  9. >
    > Do you respect the judgment of the c.l.c++ moderators? If so
    > take a look at the topics in c.l.c++.m over the last week.
    > By your and Victor's reasoning all of the following threads
    > are off-topic
    >
    > "Convert CString to HEX" victor participated
    > "Threading: early days" threads off topic
    > "Lint and boost"
    > "Mutex implementation"
    > "Loki visitor question"
    > "c++ libray for http protocol"
    > "Errors using RogueWave template class"

    comp.lang.c++.moderated is a different group, no doubt they have a different
    idea of topicality there.

    Bottom line is that if you don't like the way this group operates you can
    always leave.

    john

    John Harrison, Nov 13, 2004
  10. > comp.lang.c++.moderated is a different group, no doubt
    > they have a different idea of topicality there.

    No, they have the same view of topicality. But, let's
    suppose you are right and c.l.c++ and c.l.c++.m are very
    different. Fine, take a look at some recent c.l.c++ topics
    in which the community actively participated without
    complaint

    Design question: N-dimensional tensors
    library problems
    C++/CLI
    PDF/HTML Output Class
    Fox: best GUI Lib
    ncurses
    Accelerated C++: [1,rows] Not so fast

    By your standard these are all "off-topic" and yet even Victor
    participated in the first two! And you, John, decided to post
    in these "off-topic" topics

    strang behaviour std:vector and XString in VC6.0
    Survey: Frequency of usage of smart pointers
    Design question: N-dimensional tensor

    XStrings and VC6.0 are not part of the C++ language. Neither
    are tensors and smart pointers (other than auto_ptr). And in
    the tensor thread you responded by posting a link to boost
    which is certainly not part of the C++ language. So aren't
    you being a hypocrite? Or in the very least your opinion of
    topicality is inconsistent.

    > Bottom line is that if you don't like the way this group
    > operates you can always leave.

    Bottom line, your hypocritical opinion doesn't carry much
    weight. Furthermore, you have absolutely no control over
    what others post in c.l.c++. So the best thing you can do is
    simply ignore threads you feel are "off-topic" and let others
    judge for themselves.

    Keith H Duggar, Nov 14, 2004
  11. "Larry Brasfield" <> wrote
    > > Victor,
    > >
    > > Since you seem to be the self-appointed hall-monitor for
    > > this forum, I have a question for you.

    > That statement is an unmistakable sign of a problem here.
    > You must be very new to Usenet since you are apparently
    > ignorant of the fact that topicality is always enforced (when
    > enforced) by volunteers in the unmoderated newsgroups.

    Either you don't know what "enforce" means or you are new
    to Usenet. It should be clear that nothing is being enforced
    or we wouldn't even be having this conversation.

    The only power these demi-moderators have is to encourage
    or point in the right direction. And frankly, when they
    become rude and whiny (as they sometimes do) they perform
    a disservice, not a service to the Usenet community. If a
    demi-moderator can't express their opinion politely then
    they should express no opinion at all and simply ignore the
    post they feel is "off-topic".

    > Victor does not "haunt" this newsgroup.

    He most certainly does. (Take a look in a dictionary for
    both "haunt" and "enforce".)

    > He provides good
    > topical advice and helps keep it topical, a service to those who
    > participate as either question posers or question answerers.

    Not when he becomes pretentious.

    > > Exercise 1) generalize your logic to questions of the form

    > Since Victor is not a student of yours, and has no reason to
    > undertake self-improvement with your guidance, why should
    > he go along with your "exercise" suggestions?

    For the same reasons that you decided to go along with my
    exercise.

    > > Q = X1 X2
    > >
    > > and deduce whether Q is on topic at either, both, or neither
    > > of newsgroups Z1.Y1.X1 and Z2.Y2.X2.

    > Since you seem to prefer matters simplified, and seem to have
    > oversimplified the issue for purposes of argumentation, let's
    > consider a concrete form of your abstract "exercise".
    >
    > Suppose there is a newsgroup about carpentry. Suppose there
    > is another newsgroup about structural engineering. According
    > to your implied reasoning, a question such as "How do I build
    > a foot bridge with wood?" would be topical in either place.

    Absolutely! I'm glad the exercise paid off and helped you
    to see my point. Building a bridge from wood would most
    definitely involve both carpentry and structural engineering.
    Thus, the question would certainly be on topic at both groups
    though each group would probably address only the portions of
    the question relevant to their group.

    Indeed, I recently saw two Nova historical reconstruction
    documentaries. In one they rebuilt two medieval catapults,
    in the other an ancient Chinese wooden bridge

    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/lostempires/china/builds.html

    The teams working on these projects had both carpenters and
    structural engineers working to achieve the same goal and
    answer the same questions.

    Thank you for completing the exercise with such a wonderful
    example!

    Keith

    Keith H Duggar, Nov 14, 2004
  12. "Keith H Duggar" <> wrote in message
    >> comp.lang.c++.moderated is a different group, no doubt
    >> they have a different idea of topicality there.

    > No, they have the same view of topicality. But, let's
    > suppose you are right and c.l.c++ and c.l.c++.m are very
    > different. Fine, take a look at some recent c.l.c++ topics
    > in which the community actively participated without
    > complaint
    >
    > Design question: N-dimensional tensors
    > library problems
    > C++/CLI
    > PDF/HTML Output Class
    > Fox: best GUI Lib
    > ncurses
    > Accelerated C++: [1,rows] Not so fast
    >
    > By your standard these are all "off-topic" and yet even Victor
    > participated in the first two! And you, John, decided to post
    > in these "off-topic" topics
    >
    > strang behaviour std:vector and XString in VC6.0
    > Survey: Frequency of usage of smart pointers
    > Design question: N-dimensional tensor
    >
    > XStrings and VC6.0 are not part of the C++ language.

    Just because someone mentions something that is not part of the C++ language
    in the subject line does not make the post off topic.

    > Neither
    > are tensors and smart pointers (other than auto_ptr). And in
    > the tensor thread you responded by posting a link to boost
    > which is certainly not part of the C++ language. So aren't
    > you being a hypocrite? Or in the very least your opinion of
    > topicality is inconsistent.

    Where have you heard that my definition of on topic is 'part of the C++
    language'. That is not my definition. You've clearly been trawling my
    enough you will find examples of that, and bad manners too. Personally I
    think I make a valuable contribution to this group by answering lots of
    posters queries to the best of my ability, something I've yet to see from
    you.

    >> Bottom line is that if you don't like the way this group
    >> operates you can always leave.

    > Bottom line, your hypocritical opinion doesn't carry much
    > weight. Furthermore, you have absolutely no control over
    > what others post in c.l.c++. So the best thing you can do is
    > simply ignore threads you feel are "off-topic" and let others
    > judge for themselves.

    I rarely just say off topic. 99% of off topic posts concern Windows
    programming, and I almost always redirect people who make such posts. I
    consider this to be a service both to the poster and to this group. Most of
    the time I am polite about it.

    Historically this group has been taken over by Windows programming questions
    leaving nowhere to discuss pure C++ related issue, that is why this group is
    touchy about topicality.

    john

    John Harrison, Nov 14, 2004
  13. "Keith H Duggar" <> wrote...
    >[..blahblah.. hypocritical ..blah blah..]

    Do you have a point or do you just need a pissing match?

    This is a free forum. Unmoderated. That means I can post here
    whatever I like and as much as I like. Just like you can. Just
    like many others can. Hell, anybody can.

    Now, when arguing about topicality (which in itself is always on
    topic, by the netiquette rules), you need to ultimately step back
    and think (assuming an MIT graduate is capable of that), can you
    actually bring in hypocracy when you yourself participated in
    some off-topic discussions? Isn't that hypocracy in itself?

    Now, don't rush to answering. Spend a few minutes evaluating your
    response. And for the argument's sake, try not to make it, how
    did you put it?, pretentious, hypocritical, haunting, or enforcing
    something that is either not supposed to be enforced or simply
    cannot be enforced. Did I cover all of it?

    Now, to answer your questions.
    >Suppose someone has a question of the form
    >
    > How to do X in C++?
    >
    >where X bears no immediate relation to C++ other than it
    >is a general programming task which can be done in C++.
    >Do you consider such a question off-topic at comp.lang.c++?

    Yes.

    >If so why?

    You answered it already. And you know the answer, too: because
    it has no immediate relation to C++.

    > In what newsgroup group should it be posted?

    If it is tryly a "general programming task", comp.programming.
    If it's something platform-specific, like "create a bitmap" or
    "make sure only one instance of the program is running", then in
    a newsgroup for that platform. Read the FFAQ.

    Victor Bazarov, Nov 15, 2004
  14. In message <>, Keith H
    Duggar <> writes
    >"Larry Brasfield" <> wrote

    [biiig context-destroying snip]

    >Not when he becomes pretentious.
    >
    >> > Exercise 1) generalize your logic to questions of the form

    A most amusing juxtaposition.

    --
    Richard Herring

    Richard Herring, Nov 15, 2004
  15. Andy Lai

    Keith H Duggar wrote:

    [This message didn't show up on my regular news service, so I'll have
    to get at it from google]

    > > Who knows? You start out by checking to see if they have a FAQ list
    > > that covers topicality and you read the group to find out what sort

    of
    > > messages are typically posted.

    > Do you respect the judgment of the c.l.c++ moderators?

    For my own postings? By and large yes. Please show some
    counter-examples if you feel that I've been breaking topicality.

    > If so
    > take a look at the topics in c.l.c++.m over the last week.
    > By your and Victor's reasoning all of the following threads
    > are off-topic

    Ok. Sounds reasonable to me. I didn't bother to read any of those
    because they were off-topic.

    > CString, Lint, Boost, Loki, and RogueWave are not part of
    > the C++ language.

    I tend to agree on Boost, but the consensus here seems to be that Boost
    features will be migrating to the Standard eventually. I point out
    every now and then that they aren't there yet.

    > And the blessed Victor even posted in the
    > "off topic" CString discussion.

    So? I don't know exactly what he contributed, as I didn't read it. Did
    he actually post off-topic material? Or did he find topical elements
    withing the thread? I've done that.

    > So if the moderators felt all those topics were topical,

    What "moderators" are you talking about? There's just people here, no
    one has any special powers. That doesn't mean we need to let things run
    amok.

    > where do you get off claiming they are not and why should we
    > care what you claim? Especially when you don't even have the
    > guts to associate your foul comments with your real identity.

    Oh, those were "foul"? As for my identity, why do you care? You
    planning on dropping by the house? I'm out of beer, BTW.

    I'm a long-time participant of CLC++. I sometimes get lazy about typing
    my last name, but I'll make sure it's here this time. No doubt that
    will comfort you greatly.

    > > It's not just Victor that supports the goal of topicality, so

    disabuse
    > > your pissy little self of that bogus idea.

    > > Another whiny crybaby who can't be bothered to follow basic

    netiquette.

    > One need only read those two comments to see that it is you
    > who whines and can't be bothered with basic netiquette (or
    > even common civility for that matter).

    Calls 'em as I sees 'em. You whined and cried (the same whiny crybaby
    thread we have every now and then from somebody deeply offended because
    their basic usenet ineptitude was exposed).

    Brian RODENBORN

    Default User, Nov 15, 2004
  16. Richard Herring wrote
    > Keith H Duggar wrote