HTTP_REFERER is not workign in web services

neerajb

Hi,

My requirement is that i want to know the clinet url in the web service.My
authentication is based on the client url.

I am gettign the IP address by using the
System.Web.HttpContext.Current.Request.UserHostAddress
but i need the complete url of the client.

Thanks in Advance.

Valko

you have referer URL here:

HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.ToString

saying that I do not think it is a good idea to use IP and/or URL for
authentification purposes at all - one can write custom client and to change
them to whatever he/she wishes - so it is useless for real authentification -
better try digital certificates or something more secure.

neerajb

Hi Valko,

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that this is not a good approach but this is our client
requirement. This web service will be used in Intranet only.Actually in the
client Intranet there are many business groups and his requiremtn is that he
want to open this web service to only somme busienss groups.

If we use username and password then it can be shared between the perrsons
of different busienss groups so our requirement is that is there is any way
to get the web service caller Url so that we can authenticate the service on
the basis of that caller's URL.

I have also tried HttpContext.Current.Request.Url.ToString but it is givign
hte server URL on which web service exists.

Please Help.
Neeraj