HttpListener use on a hosted website

Joined
Aug 22, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello, I have found the article http://www.velocityreviews.com/foru...emt-a-simple-web-listener-in-aspnetvbnet.html and was wondering if perhaps someone here would be bale to answer a few question for me, as I can not seem to find the ansers in my searches on google.

Most of my findings for the HttpListener point to using the http://localhost/httplistener and also have some remark of being an admin control user to access IIS6/7 to impliment a listener.

I appologize if that does not make the most sense, but I am trying to learn all of this at the moment and am unable to find what I need specifically.

What I am trying to accomplish:
Create a windows mobile application in vb.net (have) that sends a httpProccessRequest to a web server that I have hosted through a hosting service running .NET 2.0

I am looking for a way to "catch" this process request via an http listener, however, I am not finding out if this is possible for my situation. I would like to throw a large chuck of data in xml form at a listener, and have it throw a proccess response back which I could catch and return a value to a label telling the user the data transfer was a success or failure. Then, I would be able to use the data that was submitted in a function to do something I desire.

With all that in place, is it possible to create a listener on a hosted website? Are there any links I missed saying how to do this, or will the forum post I reference above be sufficient?

I need to know where all the parameters need ot be specified... web.config will do it all? If I send a request to http://www.whatever.com/mylistener/ will I have to setup something on IIS (which I don't have access to on this host) or can I send the request to http://www.whatever.com/mylistener.aspx which when called will start the listener and be able to process a xml data post?

Sorry if this is confusing, but I am trying to post to a website without using the localhost as on the webiste that will catch the post I do not have accces to IIS, just ftp files up and let it rip.

-Matthew