https server

Selie Peter

Hello,

I like to secure a webapplication with https (SSL).
Has anyone experience with writing a Https server in Java? Or a good
tutorial?
Now everything is written in a servlet.
I can't find anything that helps me on the way...

tia

Selie Peter

Joe Attardi said:
Why do you want to write your own server, and re-invent the wheel?
Well, I work with an implementation of OGSI framework and I use the
HttpService to get my servlet online.
But there is (as far as i know) no support in that service for https (ssl).
Any help would be appreciated.

Tia

Chris Smith

Selie Peter said:
I like to secure a webapplication with https (SSL).

Just a strange comment. I don't think I've seen the word "secure" used
as a verb as many times in the last five years as I have in the past few
weeks on this newsgroup. Of oucrse it's grammatically fine, just a
little odd. I'm curious whether this represents a general linguistic
shift throughout all of modern society, or just a college professor with
strange vocabulary whose students are all rushing to newsgroup... or
something else.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation

Oliver Wong

Chris Smith said:
Just a strange comment. I don't think I've seen the word "secure" used
as a verb as many times in the last five years as I have in the past few
weeks on this newsgroup. Of oucrse it's grammatically fine, just a
little odd. I'm curious whether this represents a general linguistic
shift throughout all of modern society, or just a college professor with
strange vocabulary whose students are all rushing to newsgroup... or
something else.

What about all those movies where CIA agents/SWAT/men in black/etc. will
say into their voice piece "Secure the perimeter", "secure the area" or
"secure the president", etc?

- Oliver

Oliver Wong

Selie Peter said:
Hello,

I like to secure a webapplication with https (SSL).
Has anyone experience with writing a Https server in Java? Or a good
tutorial?
Now everything is written in a servlet.
I can't find anything that helps me on the way...

You will probably want to read RFC 2818.

http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2818.txt

- Oliver

Daniel Dyer

Just a strange comment. I don't think I've seen the word "secure" used
as a verb as many times in the last five years as I have in the past few
weeks on this newsgroup. Of oucrse it's grammatically fine, just a
little odd. I'm curious whether this represents a general linguistic
shift throughout all of modern society, or just a college professor with
strange vocabulary whose students are all rushing to newsgroup... or
something else.

Maybe it's a regional thing? As a Brit, it's normal, familiar usage to
me. I use it myself and have heard it from many others, not just in an IT
context but in terms of physical security as well.

Maybe the Internet is exporting British and Australian expressions and
phrases to the US in much the same way that Hollywood as been sending
stuff in the opposite direction for decades (though the original poster
seems to be in Belgium)?

Dan.

Roedy Green

What about all those movies where CIA agents/SWAT/men in black/etc. will
say into their voice piece "Secure the perimeter", "secure the area" or
"secure the president", etc?

My Oxford dictionary published 1982 shows secure as transitive verb
with three meanings.

1. to fortify
2. to guarantee, make safe against loss
3. succeeded in getting something coveted as in securing theatre
tickets

Today it often seems to be used to mean "obtain", like a weak form of
(3).

In Canada people would say "secure the boat" meaning tie it up
properly.

Selie Peter

Daniel Dyer said:
Maybe it's a regional thing? As a Brit, it's normal, familiar usage to
me. I use it myself and have heard it from many others, not just in an IT
context but in terms of physical security as well.

Maybe the Internet is exporting British and Australian expressions and
phrases to the US in much the same way that Hollywood as been sending
stuff in the opposite direction for decades (though the original poster
seems to be in Belgium)?

Dan.
Yeah, I'm from Belgium so I have no idea where I got the word...
Inspiration of the moment?
And as an answer to a previous question: I need the information for my
thesis :)

Chris Uppal

Daniel said:
Maybe it's a regional thing? As a Brit, it's normal, familiar usage to
me. I use it myself and have heard it from many others, not just in an IT
context but in terms of physical security as well.

I'm British too, and -- while I agree that it's familar usage -- I don't think
I've ever seen or heard it much in IT circles. For instance, according to
Google, I havve never used "secure" as a verb in this newsgroup, but I have
used the words security and secure 46 times[*].

I speculate that: (a) it is or has been fairly rare in US usage, (b) British
technical usage tends to be imported from the US, so (c) it is rare in British
technical usage. However (d) the current US "homeland security" hysteria (and
related considerations) have brough the verbal form into fashion over there;
and so (e) it is now entering US technical usage. So (ta da!) now entering the
world's technical volcabulary.

Or there again, maybe not ;-)

-- chris

[*] Not counting this post.