    Thank you for your time!

    QB

    , Oct 15, 2008

  2. cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 15, 2:08 pm, wrote:
    > I want to secure a single page on a website because it will house
    > confidential information.  now I understand that I need to purchase an
    > SSL cert. and install it on my host server.  That part is fine.  But
    > how do I invoke the SSL cert. so that the page is https:// rather than
    > http://?
    >
    > I know this is probably basic stuff, but I can't seem to find a good
    > tutorial on the matter.

    SSL certificates can be rather expensive, so don't purchase one until
    you know exactly how to use it. If you do not own the server and rent
    space on a server from a host, you likely need to read the detailed
    information that the host usually supplies if they support SSL and
    contact them if you have questions. A few hosts have made special
    deals to get you a personal certificate at reduced, but still high,
    cost. Others supply a house SSL certificate for their customers at no
    extra cost. This will make a page secure, and likely will be good
    enough if you just want to protect private information. However if you
    are going to do things that require private information to be entered
    into forms by others, many will not use your page unless you have a
    certificate made out only to you. If you only need to make the page
    private and your host does not have house SSL, it likely would be far
    cheaper to rent space from another host that does than it would be to
    buy a personal certificate, which likely must be renewed at high cost
    every year.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 15, 2008

  3. cwdjrxyz Guest

    On Oct 15, 4:52 pm, cwdjrxyz <> wrote:
    > On Oct 15, 2:08 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > I want to secure a single page on a website because it will house
    > > confidential information.  now I understand that I need to purchase an
    > > SSL cert. and install it on my host server.  That part is fine.  But
    > > how do I invoke the SSL cert. so that the page is https:// rather than
    > > http://?

    > > I know this is probably basic stuff, but I can't seem to find a good
    > > tutorial on the matter.

    > SSL certificates can be rather expensive, so don't purchase one until
    > you know exactly how to use it. If you do not own the server and rent
    > space on a server from a host, you likely need to read the detailed
    > information that the host usually supplies if they support SSL and
    > contact them if you have questions. A few hosts have made special
    > deals to get you a personal certificate at reduced, but still high,
    > cost. Others supply a house SSL certificate for their customers at no
    > extra cost. This will make a page secure, and likely will be good
    > enough if you just want to protect private information. However if you
    > are going to do things that require private information to be entered
    > into forms by others, many will not use your page unless you have a
    > certificate made out only to you. If you only need to make the page
    > private and your host does not have house SSL, it likely would be far
    > cheaper to rent space from another host that does  than it would be to
    > buy a personal certificate, which likely must be renewed at high cost
    > every year.

    My host provides a house ssl service at no additional charge, and it
    is fairly easy to set up at the control panel. The url for a jpg I
    have on the server is: http://www.cwdjr.net/picsnap/roscoe.jpg . To
    connect to this same jpg using the house ssl connection, the url
    becomes: https://cwdjr.c6.hostexcellence.com/picsnap/roscoe.jpg .
    Notice the ssl connection is routed through the host rather than my
    domain, and the cwdjr.c6 specifies my account with the host. Different
    hosts may have slightly different ways of doing this, and often all
    you need is included on instructions provided by the host.

    cwdjrxyz, Oct 16, 2008
  4. SAZ Guest

    In article <125df9ca-c059-4d9e-83fe-
    >, says...
    > On Oct 15, 2:08=A0pm, wrote:
    > > I want to secure a single page on a website because it will house
    > > confidential information. =A0now I understand that I need to purchase an
    > > SSL cert. and install it on my host server. =A0That part is fine. =A0But
    > > how do I invoke the SSL cert. so that the page is https:// rather than
    > > http://?
    > >
    > > I know this is probably basic stuff, but I can't seem to find a good
    > > tutorial on the matter.

    > SSL certificates can be rather expensive, so don't purchase one until
    > you know exactly how to use it. If you do not own the server and rent
    > space on a server from a host, you likely need to read the detailed
    > information that the host usually supplies if they support SSL and
    > contact them if you have questions. A few hosts have made special
    > deals to get you a personal certificate at reduced, but still high,
    > cost. Others supply a house SSL certificate for their customers at no
    > extra cost. This will make a page secure, and likely will be good
    > enough if you just want to protect private information. However if you
    > are going to do things that require private information to be entered
    > into forms by others, many will not use your page unless you have a
    > certificate made out only to you. If you only need to make the page
    > private and your host does not have house SSL, it likely would be far
    > cheaper to rent space from another host that does than it would be to
    > buy a personal certificate, which likely must be renewed at high cost
    > every year.

    I get all my SSL Certs from GoDaddy - they charge around $30/yr. I've
    never found cheaper SSL Cert from a "name brand" company.

    SAZ, Oct 16, 2008