Hypocrites

jacob navia

In the thread

"Deleting first N lines from a text file"

I published an answer to that problem using the C containers library.

I received (as is very often the case) an answer from an anonymous
coward telling me

<quote>
You self-celebrating fucko. There only exist your things to you:
that silly lcc-win and your funny containers.
<end quote>

I did not bother to answer.

The same anonymous coward sent an answer (with the same insults)
to another thread where I asked for feedback on the gcc implementation
for printf customization.

In that thread Seebs answered obviously NOT to condemn the insults
but to add to them. Talking with the anonymous coward he wrote:

<quote from seebs>
I have Mr. Navia plonked because of his habit of random and unjustified
flames, so I thank you for calling that post to my attention
<end quote>

So, in the logic of this person (seebs), insulting me as "self-
celebrating fucko" is a motive to answer him a "THANK YOU".

And in the same sentence he writes about "unjustified flames" I would
start. Unjustified of course.

This tactic (The victim is responsible, if you get insulted and you do
not accept those insults in silence it is YOUR fault) is the same in
the other "regulars" that infest this group, Kicki, Seebs, and all others.

To avoid being too obvious, Seebs quoted the anonymous troll but
*snipped the insults away*.

This anonymous posts are obviously done by Kicki, seebs, and others
to avoid consequences and having the "pleasure" of insulting without
having to face any consequences.

This "character assassination" campaigns is similar to the one
he started against a book author some years ago.

What can you do to stop this?

This people thrive on the silence of the other members of
this discussion group, and live only in this discussion
group. They are unable to do anything productive (Seebs
has never published anything, neither Kicki, or any other
of those people) but they are able to insult the ones that
propose technical solutions like my container library or
my compiler system.

jacob

jgharston

jacob said:
What can you do to stop this?

The Malicious Communications Act 1988 section 1 deals with the sending
to another of any article which is indecent or grossly offensive, or
which conveys a threat, or which is false, provided there is an intent
to cause distress or anxiety to the recipient. The offence covers
letters, writing of all descriptions, electronic communications,
photographs and other images in a material form, tape recordings,
films and video recordings. Poison-pen letters are usually covered.

Report him to the police.

JGH

Nick Keighley

In the thread

"Deleting first N lines from a text file"

I published an answer to that problem using the C containers library.

I received (as is very often the case) an answer from an anonymous
coward telling me

<quote>
You self-celebrating fucko. There only exist your things to you:
that silly lcc-win and your funny containers.
<end quote>

the man is an idiot. Which is why most people didn't respond to it.
I did not bother to answer.

The same anonymous coward sent an answer (with the same insults)
to another thread where I asked for feedback on the gcc
implementation for printf customization.

In that thread Seebs answered obviously NOT to condemn the insults
but to add to them.

no he didn't. You are just illustrating what he (and I) are talking
about. Anyone who doesn't agree with you triggers a rant. In a five
year old this can be cute.
Talking with the anonymous coward he wrote:

<quote from seebs>
I have Mr. Navia plonked because of his habit of random and unjustified
flames, so I thank you for calling that post to my attention
<end quote>

and then *you* trimmed the bit where he explained why he had thanked
someone for drawing attention to your post. Because he was interested
in what you had to say on the subject of extensible printf()!

He plonked you for flaming. So you complain when he mentions it by
flaming!
So, in the logic of this person (seebs), insulting me as "self-
celebrating fucko" is a motive to answer him a "THANK YOU".

so in the "logic" of navia...
And in the same sentence he writes about "unjustified flames" I would
start. Unjustified of course.

This tactic (The victim is responsible, if you get insulted and you > do not accept those insults in silence it is YOUR fault)

well ok, since you raise the subject. Are you going to withdraw your
statement where you called me a moron? I was going to let go.

Is "fucko" better or worse than "moron"?
is the same in
the other "regulars" that infest this group, Kicki, Seebs, and all
others.

yadda yadda yah... change the record.
To avoid being too obvious, Seebs quoted the anonymous troll but
*snipped the insults away*.

isn't this good? To quote them may have given apparent support.
This anonymous posts are obviously done by Kicki, seebs,

you have absolutly no evidence for this. The postign styles don't even
look similar. Don't you think it is rude and childish to make up funny
names for people?
and others
to avoid consequences and having the "pleasure" of insulting without
having to face any consequences.

This "character assassination" campaigns is similar to the one
he started against a book author some years ago.

bollocks it is. The book *was* crap as you could ascertain yourself. I
think if the publisher./author had been wiling to publish an erratum
(as any rerasonable technical book should) they'd have saved
themselves a lot of grief.

Teapot and --.-- (or whatever he was) are just noisy little twits.
What can you do to stop this?

if it's simply insults I'd ignore it. Though it can be annoying! try
to avoid doing it yourself. Throwing insults around usually makes the
perpetrator look far more foolish than the "victim". In matters of
fact calmly point out the errors. In matters of opinion (even on
technical stuff people have opinions) calmly state your position. Try
to avoid "'tis" "'tis not" "it is too!!" arguments. I just walk away
once the positiosn start to repeat. if you're findign it hard to
remain calm vplonk (what I call virtual plonk- I read but only respond
to fatcually wrong stuff) and finally plonk them. I've only ever
trully plonked one person in all my time on usenet.

I doubt it makes much differencre to you but I'd *much* rather read
your posts than "teapots".
This people thrive on the silence of the other members of
this discussion group,

to repond to this sort of person only gives them legitemacy. That is
what trolls *do*.
and live only in this discussion
group. They are unable to do anything productive (Seebs
has never published anything, neither Kicki, or any other
of those people) but they are able to insult the ones that
propose technical solutions like my container library or
my compiler system.

constructive criticism should be greeted joyfully.

Happy Programming

Malcolm McLean

So, in the logic of this person (seebs), insulting me as "self-
celebrating ****" is a motive to answer him a "THANK YOU".

What can you do to stop this?

This people thrive on the silence of the other members of
this discussion group, and live only in this discussion
group.
The message was unacceptable, I ignored it of course, because the best
thing to do to these sorts of posts is to take no notice.
But I'm surprised and disappointed that a regular would have joined in
on so crude a personal attack.

Kenny McCormack

The message was unacceptable, I ignored it of course, because the best
thing to do to these sorts of posts is to take no notice.
But I'm surprised and disappointed that a regular would have joined in
on so crude a personal attack.

It's pretty clear that the "newcomer" is a sock of one (or more) of the regs.

But the funny thing is - I'm beginning to wonder if Jacob isn't actually a
reg sock as well. It is getting harder and harder to believe that Jacob is
for real, given how pathetic he makes himself look.

by the wise as foolish,
and by the rulers as useful.

(Seneca the Younger, 65 AD)

Nick Keighley

Talking with the anonymous coward [peter seebach] wrote:
<quote from seebs>
I have Mr. Navia plonked because of his habit of random and unjustified
flames, so I thank you for calling that post to my attention
<end quote>

this is what he really said:-

<quote>
I have Mr. Navia plonked because of his habit of random and
unjustified
flames, so I thank you for calling that post to my attention, since it
has
some cool ideas in a field I have previously thought about.
and then *you* trimmed the bit where he explained why he had thanked
someone for drawing attention to your post. Because he was interested
in what you had to say on the subject of extensible printf()!

<snip>

blmblm

[...]

Um. But then he goes on to say .... Well, here's the whole paragraph:
I have Mr. Navia plonked because of his habit of random and unjustified
flames, so I thank you for calling that post to my attention, since it has
some cool ideas in a field I have previously thought about. I even got
as far as a test implementation of a printf which let you pass formatting
functions as arguments, although I never got around to a "register new
characters" feature.

I understood Seebs to be thanking *someone* (perhaps the one insulting
you, perhaps someone upthread) for calling his attention to your post
because it (your post) contained something he found interesting. So,
not a pile-on insult at all.
So, in the logic of this person (seebs), insulting me as "self-
celebrating fucko" is a motive to answer him a "THANK YOU".

And in the same sentence he writes about "unjustified flames" I would
start. Unjustified of course.

You do realize that you're just providing more evidence here that you
are quick to take offense, sometimes where perhaps none was intended?
This tactic (The victim is responsible, if you get insulted and you do
not accept those insults in silence it is YOUR fault) is the same in
the other "regulars" that infest this group, Kicki, Seebs, and all others.

To avoid being too obvious, Seebs quoted the anonymous troll but
*snipped the insults away*.

This anonymous posts are obviously done by Kicki, seebs, and others
to avoid consequences and having the "pleasure" of insulting without
having to face any consequences.

This "character assassination" campaigns is similar to the one
he started against a book author some years ago.

What can you do to stop this?

This people thrive on the silence of the other members of
this discussion group, and live only in this discussion
group. They are unable to do anything productive (Seebs
has never published anything,

A quick Google search on "Peter Seebach" suggests otherwise --
unless you have in mind some definition of "publish" that doesn't
include books?
neither Kicki,

Contrast this with Seebs's "Mr. Navia". Which one sounds more
civil?
or any other
of those people) but they are able to insult the ones that
propose technical solutions like my container library or
my compiler system.

(I wasn't going to respond, since I notice that at least one
other person has made pretty much the same points I'm making,
but I also notice that apparently at least one other person
agrees with your assessment, so rather than being a lurker
who supports, and not even in e-mail .... Two cents' worth.)

Oliver Jackson

[...]

Dang, I missed last week's "Keeping up with the CLCers."

Seebs

Seebs has published articles for IBM developerWorks, he's (I think)
the author of "Beginning Portable Shell Scripting: From Novice to
Professional",
he's a "jury member" in the Obfuscated C Code Contest,
and who knows what he has done, does and will do in his daily life.

My most obvious published work, apart from the books and articles
(and more articles that were sold to people who published them without
a byline), would be pseudo. I also produce all sorts of other things,
and while the blog posts may be of little interest to most people, every
so often I get a "this changed my life!" email, so I guess they're of
utility to someone.

If I have to choose between the approval of Mr. Navia, and the approval
of some guy whose kid just got diagnosed as autistic, and my writings
about autism have made him feel like this is not the end of the world,
lemme just say that there's a reason I have Mr. Navia killfiled.

-s

Seebs

no he didn't. You are just illustrating what he (and I) are talking
about. Anyone who doesn't agree with you triggers a rant. In a five
year old this can be cute.

Exactly. I think the anonymous flamer is an idiot, and I was thanking
him for calling my attention to something interesting Jacob wrote. Which
is to say, I was hinting to him (on the off chance that he actually reads
posts here) that his flaming of Jacob was having the opposite of its
intended effect.
isn't this good? To quote them may have given apparent support.

That was, in fact, intentional. The insults did not strike me as worthy
of comment, but since the question has been brought up, I found them both
shallow and unjustified. The attacks on Mr. Navia have two key flaws:

1. They're mostly blatantly untrue.
2. Even in the cases where it's not obvious to even a casual observer
that they're untrue, they're irrelevant.

Basically, imagine that we were to discover that Jacob's posts here are
part of a sinister plot on his behalf to cause people to use, and possibly
pay for, lcc-win. ... So what? He's a material participant in the group
who talks intelligently about C. That's not spamming, even if he hopes
that it will induce people to buy his product.
to repond to this sort of person only gives them legitemacy. That is
what trolls *do*.

Exactly.

Flamers don't thrive on silence, they thrive on responses.

-s

BruceS

On Nov 17, 8:58 am, (e-mail address removed) <[email protected]>
wrote:
(I wasn't going to respond, since I notice that at least one
other person has made pretty much the same points I'm making,
but I also notice that apparently at least one other person
agrees with your assessment, so rather than being a lurker
who supports, and not even in e-mail ....  Two cents' worth.)

Ditto. I think perhaps Malcolm misread or misinterpreted Seebs' post
in the other thread. My only complaint to Seebs would have been that
he was responding to a troll, but I find his explanation of that
sensible. So Vincenzo, Seebs, Nick, and blmblm have all pretty much
said it. Jacob, you would have maintained your position much better
had you not responded to the troll. You could even have participated
in Seebs' subthread, where the insults had been so helpfully removed.
While I take Kenny's posts with a grain of salt, it's funny that even
he is taking you to task a bit.
In other words, "Lighten up, Francis!"

Ian Collins

What can you do to stop this?

Take a cold shower or go for a walk on the beach. Anonymous cowards
have always been part of Usenet. Ignore them and they will eventually
go away.

Kenny McCormack

BruceS said:
While I take Kenny's posts with a grain of salt,

You do this at your own peril.
it's funny that even
he is taking you to task a bit.

I did no such thing. I really don't think Jacob is being played by Jacob
anymore.
In other words, "Lighten up, Francis!"

That's a great line, from a great movie. Well done!

--
One of the best lines I've heard lately:

Obama could cure cancer tomorrow, and the Republicans would be
complaining that he had ruined the pharmaceutical business.

(Heard on Stephanie Miller = but the sad thing is that there is an awful lot
of direct truth in it. We've constructed an economy in which eliminating
cancer would be a horrible disaster. There are many other such examples.)

BruceS

You do this at your own peril.

I did no such thing.  I really don't think Jacob is being played by Jacob
anymore.

OK, my mistake. I didn't believe you meant that. I've seen enough of
his posts to see this as just a slight extension of his position, not
as someone pretending to be him.
That's a great line, from a great movie.  Well done!

Any one of you regs talks about my compiler, I'm gonna flame him. Any
of you replies to replies to me, I'm gonna flame him. Anyone flames
me, I'm gonna flame him. Anyone tries to suggest that flaming is
counterproductive, I'm gonna flame him.

Geoff

What can you do to stop this?

What can one do to stop this? Nothing. Get used to it.

The moment you react, you betray your emotional hot spot and people
will go out of their way to goad you into another reaction. You have
demonstrated time and again, and again in this thread, that you lack
the self control to keep silent when you should.

Phil Carmody

Ian Collins said:
Take a cold shower or go for a walk on the beach. Anonymous cowards
have always been part of Usenet. Ignore them and they will eventually
go away.

Often. But if you ignore them successfully enough, it doesn't even matter
if they do or don't.

Phil

nroberts

What can you do to stop this?

I have a general rule. It doesn't always keep me out of trouble, but
it at least helps point out when I'm being an idiot and talking to or
about people that are a waste of time.

"If I'd kick your ass and throw you out of my house, why would I
invite you in through the Internet?"

Nobody cares what happens on Usenet, especially today. So your
"character" is being "assassinated" by some random retards on the
Internet. Most of the time people who bully on the Net do so because
they feel powerless in their real lives. Just take a break from
Usenet for a while. I've been here since 95 and I'm not a "regular"
anywhere.

The first step for you might be to not start brand new, off-topic
threads just to cry about it. Go smoke a bowl, take a shot or
something instead. Watch some TV. Lift some weights. Get a heavy
back and some gloves and beat it up when you feel like posting crap
like this.