RH, Seebs, Nilges, and, yes, even Kiki. You guys need to get out more!

Kenny McCormack

I normally enjoy reading you lunatics goin' at each other, in small doses.
Though I have to admit, it's gotten pretty tedious lately. It all seems
to boil down to variations on:

Nilges: When I look up at the blue sky, ...
Seebs: Assumes facts not in evidence. It has never been shown that the
sky is, in any sense, at any time, blue.

(And, yes, I am well aware that at minute now, Seebs is going to come up
with some explanation for how the sky is, in fact, not blue. That's a
standard Usenet trick - there's no way to assert anything that someone
can't come along and say "no" and that's that... If it helps, consider
that I had said "2+2=4", but even then, I'm sure Seebs will say "no")

Anyway, normally when I log onto this group, I see 5-10, maybe 15-20 at
the very outside, new messages (new, in the sense of picked up by my
"kill" [i.e., "select"] file), and I usually read them all - although,
as I say, lately, it has gotten pretty tedious, with Seebs continuing to
deny anything resembling reality, and Nilges going to great (and
excruciating) length to re-assert that, yes, physical reality exists.

But today, when I logged on, I got 55 (!) new messages, and a brief scan
showed that the 4 of you must have had a lonely, desolate Halloween.
What's the matter, nobody give you any good candy last year??? It
really looks like the 4 of you sat around all last night, all by your
lonesomes by your computers, and typed (long, lengthy, well-researched)
messages at each other.

And I have to tell you, it makes me very sad to think of this. I, on the
other hand, had a wonderful time. Saw some great shows. Rode some
great rides. Ate some good food. A fine evening. I recommend that,
come next Halloween, you make better plans. I can suggest some things
for you.

Colonel Harlan Sanders

I normally enjoy reading you lunatics goin' at each other, in small doses.
Though I have to admit, it's gotten pretty tedious lately. It all seems
to boil down to variations on:

Nilges: When I look up at the blue sky, ...
Seebs: Assumes facts not in evidence. It has never been shown that the
sky is, in any sense, at any time, blue.

Seems more like:
Nilges: When I look up at the green sky...
to me.

Anyway, since both use fixed usernames, easy to killfile them if they
bore you.

gwowen

Seems more like:
Nilges: When I look up at the green sky...
to me.

ITYM:
"On the days they let me outside, I see a blue sky, so the sky must
always be blue. Or was it grey, I forget. Also, John Nash agrees."

spinoza1111

[...]

Well, if you must know, I passed by a popular bar on the strange
island where I live and there was a friend dressed as a she-devil with
another friend with a dog collar she called the gimp. I got home and
wondered whether to put my Howard Stern wig, my mask, and my speedos
on, and go back to the bar, and decided to stay in and post mostly
because I work six days a week. I am reserving my party time to
tomorrow night, when we have an annual bash.
What's the matter, nobody give you any good candy last year???  It
really looks like the 4 of you sat around all last night, all by your
lonesomes by your computers, and typed (long, lengthy, well-researched)
messages at each other.
I'd say that any new technology, when it liberates, is though odd.
Basically, this technology allowed Nash recognition in my direct
experience, since the Princeton center where I worked gave him email
and he was able to target the Italian mathematician Enrico Bombieri
with some numerical analysis that got Bombieri on the line to my
boss...confirming that this was "the" Nash that everyone thought crazy
or dead, doing quality original research. Had his transmissions gone
the normal route, they would have been eliminated by a secretarial
paper pusher, or Nash wouldn't have tried.

"Get a life", Kenny, means in this context, "don't be creative, don't
defend yourself, just go along to get along". You don't follow this
rule and we are all glad that you don't. You post excellent content
using this technology (which isn't that new, anyway).