    since this is a forum that deals with open source that, perhaps, there
    would be somone with an open mind who could point me in the right
    direction. I apologize if this is an inappropriate post...

    Randy, Oct 18, 2005

  2. Randy

    HalcyonWild Guest

    Randy wrote:
    > Please don't laugh, but I am working on a problem with a retail system
    > that is running IBM 4690 BASIC. I won't go into detail regarding the
    > problem other than an application on the cash register is dumping and
    > no one can figure out why. I am hoping (praying) that someone can point
    > me to a resource. I have searched in vain to find something and figured
    > since this is a forum that deals with open source that, perhaps, there
    > would be somone with an open mind who could point me in the right
    > direction. I apologize if this is an inappropriate post...

    me -------------
    Even if this is a wrong forum, how can we help if we dont know anything
    other than this .

    randy -----------

    HalcyonWild, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Randy

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 18 Oct 2005 10:20:27 -0700, "Randy" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >Please don't laugh, but I am working on a problem with a retail system
    >that is running IBM 4690 BASIC.

    try comp.lang.basic. Look it your newsreader for the list of
    newsgroups your server supports. Search for the word "basic". and
    check out the promising possibilities.
    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Randy

    Randy Guest

    O.K. here goes... The application is dumping. It is obviously
    attempting to write to an inappropriate address in memory. In other
    languages there are ways to analyze the dump and find out the address
    of the offending instruction and relate that back to the actual code,
    i.e. C. I have read the IBM manuals and all they say is send the dump
    code to IBM. IBM does not support this application any more. I was
    hoping that maybe their was someone out there that had some experience
    with this earlier in their careers. I hope that this helps. If not you
    can email me with more specific questions. Thanks...

    Randy, Oct 18, 2005
  5. "Randy" <> wrote in message
    > Please don't laugh, but I am working on a problem with a retail system
    > that is running IBM 4690 BASIC. I won't go into detail regarding the
    > problem other than an application on the cash register is dumping and
    > no one can figure out why. I am hoping (praying) that someone can point
    > me to a resource. I have searched in vain to find something and figured
    > since this is a forum that deals with open source that, perhaps, there
    > would be somone with an open mind who could point me in the right
    > direction. I apologize if this is an inappropriate post...

    Do what programmers did in the olden days: put in the equivalent of
    "println"s (whatever that might be. Can you print things out on the
    register's tape?) to try to narrow down where in the code the dump is
    ocurring, and what the data values are at the time.

    Mike Schilling, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Randy

    Roedy Green Guest

    On 18 Oct 2005 12:06:28 -0700, "Randy" <> wrote or
    quoted :

    >It is obviously
    >attempting to write to an inappropriate address in memory.

    it can also be a bug in the Basic interpreter or compiler.

    You may find your best business solution is to dump everything
    including the cash register and start over with something whose code
    can be maintained.

    --
    Canadian Mind Products, Roedy Green.

    Roedy Green, Oct 19, 2005
  7. Randy

    Rhino Guest

    "Randy" <> wrote in message
    > O.K. here goes... The application is dumping. It is obviously
    > attempting to write to an inappropriate address in memory. In other
    > languages there are ways to analyze the dump and find out the address
    > of the offending instruction and relate that back to the actual code,
    > i.e. C. I have read the IBM manuals and all they say is send the dump
    > code to IBM. IBM does not support this application any more. I was
    > hoping that maybe their was someone out there that had some experience
    > with this earlier in their careers. I hope that this helps. If not you
    > can email me with more specific questions. Thanks...

    IBM may not support the application any more as a corporation but some of
    the developers who wrote and maintained it are probably still around. Even
    if they are retired - I'm not sure how long this system goes back - they may
    try to 'keep their hand in' and may very well be willing to lend a hand with
    some tips and suggestions. I know for a fact that some IBM staff (present
    and retired) are very active in newsgroups so the trick is to get their
    attention.

    IBM has at least one public news server with a variety of newsgroups; I know
    that some at least are monitored by the IBM lab responsible for that
    product. For instance, I know that comp.databases.ibm-db2 is monitored by
    the DB2 development team at the Toronto lab. I would suggest that you look
    at the newsgroups available on that newserver - news.software.ibm.com - and
    see if any of them address your problem directly. They still have at least
    one OS/2 newsgroup on that server and OS/2 is effectively dead so they might
    have a newsgroup for your problem. If you can't find a newsgroup for your
    particular problem, try something "close" - same operating system, same
    business area - and maybe your problem will be seen by someone who knows
    something about it. Or maybe someone will see it and remember a colleague
    that used to work on that application and pass it on to him/her.

    It's a bit of a long shot but it may just pay off bigtime.

    Good luck!

    Rhino

    Rhino, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Randy

    Chris Uppal Guest

    Randy wrote:

    > I am hoping (praying) that someone can point
    > me to a resource.

    You might try comp.programmer, or look for a group with an interest in old
    machine architectures (sorry, but I don't know of one myself -- I can only
    think of comp.architecture and it's long time since I read that so I don't know
    how they'd react to this question).

    Whereever you do ask, try giving interesting details about the machine it's
    running on -- age, CPU type, amount of RAM (or core ;-), etc.

    -- chris

    Chris Uppal, Oct 19, 2005
  9. Randy

    rjhilmes

    Joined:
    May 9, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    4690 dump analysis

    If you haven't already discovered how to analyze the 4690 dumps: Go to the IBM retail knowledgbase and search on "BASIC TOOLS". From here you can download the current 4690 dump analyser. It is a little clumsy to run, but works just fine. Once you get the analysis, you can wander through the stack trace, call trace, buffers, etc.

    Good luck

    rjhilmes, May 9, 2006