  1. thedarkman

    thedarkman Guest

    The people I meet here are SO fiendly, just like Kate's friend.

    thedarkman, Jan 15, 2012

  2. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    thedarkman <> wrote in news:a590aa79-2cc8-4fc9-a357-
    :

    > The people I meet here are SO fiendly, just like Kate's friend.

    The people here *are* friendly -- to those who don't come here asking for help while simultaneously
    telling them they don't know what they're doing.

    In the past, you have (among other things) explicitly refused to use CSS even when it is clearly the best
    solution to the problem you were seeking help with; repeatedly ignored advice to put a proper
    DOCTYPE in your pages; and blamed the validator for flagging errors that were clearly of your own
    making.

    The reason you are unable to learn anything from the folk in this group is that you believe you already
    know it all. So why do you keep coming back?

    Doug Miller, Jan 15, 2012

  3. On 15/01/2012 02:42, Doug Miller wrote:
    > thedarkman<> wrote in news:a590aa79-2cc8-4fc9-a357-
    > :
    >
    >> The people I meet here are SO fiendly, just like Kate's friend.

    > The people here *are* friendly -- to those who don't come here asking for help while simultaneously
    > telling them they don't know what they're doing.
    >
    > In the past, you have (among other things) explicitly refused to use CSS even when it is clearly the best
    > solution to the problem you were seeking help with; repeatedly ignored advice to put a proper
    > DOCTYPE in your pages; and blamed the validator for flagging errors that were clearly of your own
    > making.
    >
    > The reason you are unable to learn anything from the folk in this group is that you believe you already
    > know it all. So why do you keep coming back?

    Cripes! I didn't know the guy, but I looked at his code. You can copy
    and paste a doctype dead easy and refusing to use CSS is perverse. It's
    like wearing Brylcreem. Also, are all those scripts really necessary?

    --
    Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally. History is what we must
    painfully learn and struggle to remember. -Albert Goldman

    Martin Edwards, Jan 15, 2012
  4. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    Martin Edwards <> wrote in

    > On 15/01/2012 02:42, Doug Miller wrote:
    >> thedarkman<> wrote in
    >> :
    >>
    >>> The people I meet here are SO fiendly, just like Kate's friend.

    >> The people here *are* friendly -- to those who don't come here asking
    >> for help while simultaneously telling them they don't know what
    >> they're doing.
    >>
    >> In the past, you have (among other things) explicitly refused to use
    >> CSS even when it is clearly the best solution to the problem you were
    >> seeking help with; repeatedly ignored advice to put a proper DOCTYPE
    >> in your pages; and blamed the validator for flagging errors that were
    >> clearly of your own making.
    >>
    >> The reason you are unable to learn anything from the folk in this
    >> group is that you believe you already know it all. So why do you keep
    >> coming back?

    > Cripes! I didn't know the guy, but I looked at his code. You can
    > copy and paste a doctype dead easy

    He can't, apparently.

    Look at some of his earlier posts: a thread from a few months back will give you a good idea of the
    way he operates. The short version is that he was advised to use a DOCTYPE in his document
    (and told explicitly what to put there); instead of copying what he was given, he used an invalid
    DOCTYPE apparently of his own creation, which of course increased the error count instead of
    decreasing it -- and concluded on that basis that using a DOCTYPE was a bad idea.

    > and refusing to use CSS is
    > perverse.

    He doesn't understand it, apparently, and doesn't want to learn.

    > It's like wearing Brylcreem. Also, are all those scripts
    > really necessary?

    Of course not.

    Doug Miller, Jan 15, 2012
  5. On 15/01/2012 14:06, Doug Miller wrote:
    > Martin Edwards<> wrote in
    >
    >> On 15/01/2012 02:42, Doug Miller wrote:
    >>> thedarkman<> wrote in
    >>> :

    >>> The people here *are* friendly -- to those who don't come here asking
    >>> for help while simultaneously telling them they don't know what
    >>> they're doing.
    >>>
    >>> In the past, you have (among other things) explicitly refused to use
    >>> CSS even when it is clearly the best solution to the problem you were
    >>> seeking help with; repeatedly ignored advice to put a proper DOCTYPE
    >>> in your pages; and blamed the validator for flagging errors that were
    >>> clearly of your own making.
    >>>
    >>> The reason you are unable to learn anything from the folk in this
    >>> group is that you believe you already know it all. So why do you keep
    >>> coming back?

    >> Cripes! I didn't know the guy, but I looked at his code. You can
    >> copy and paste a doctype dead easy

    > He can't, apparently.
    >
    > Look at some of his earlier posts: a thread from a few months back will give you a good idea of the
    > way he operates. The short version is that he was advised to use a DOCTYPE in his document
    > (and told explicitly what to put there); instead of copying what he was given, he used an invalid
    > DOCTYPE apparently of his own creation, which of course increased the error count instead of
    > decreasing it -- and concluded on that basis that using a DOCTYPE was a bad idea.
    >
    >> and refusing to use CSS is
    >> perverse.

    > He doesn't understand it, apparently, and doesn't want to learn.
    >
    >> It's like wearing Brylcreem. Also, are all those scripts
    >> really necessary?
    >>

    > Of course not.

    On taking a better look, it seems he is, shall we say, of right wing
    inclination. It all starts to make sense.

    Martin Edwards, Jan 16, 2012
  6. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    Martin Edwards <> wrote in

    > On 15/01/2012 14:06, Doug Miller wrote:
    >> Martin Edwards<> wrote in

    >>> Cripes! I didn't know the guy, but I looked at his code. You can
    >>> copy and paste a doctype dead easy

    >> He can't, apparently.
    >>
    >> Look at some of his earlier posts: a thread from a few months back
    >> will give you a good idea of the way he operates. The short version
    >> is that he was advised to use a DOCTYPE in his document (and told
    >> explicitly what to put there); instead of copying what he was given,
    >> he used an invalid DOCTYPE apparently of his own creation, which of
    >> course increased the error count instead of decreasing it -- and
    >> concluded on that basis that using a DOCTYPE was a bad idea.
    >>
    >>> and refusing to use CSS is
    >>> perverse.

    >> He doesn't understand it, apparently, and doesn't want to learn.
    >>
    >>> It's like wearing Brylcreem. Also, are all those scripts
    >>> really necessary?
    >>>

    >> Of course not.
    >>

    > On taking a better look, it seems he is, shall we say, of right wing
    > inclination. It all starts to make sense.

    It has nothing to do with right-wing or left-wing. He's just a loon.

    Not all right-wingers are loons, nor are all loons right-wingers (examples include Michael Moore,
    and people who see cause-and-effect relationships between looniness and political orientation).

    Doug Miller, Jan 16, 2012
  7. thedarkman

    William Gill Guest

    On 1/16/2012 4:09 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:

    > On taking a better look, it seems he is, shall we say, of right wing
    > inclination. It all starts to make sense.

    Ah! You must be one those left leaning people who have the monopoly on
    open mindedness, and tolerance.

    William Gill, Jan 16, 2012
  8. On 16/01/2012 13:44, Doug Miller wrote:
    > Martin Edwards<> wrote in
    >
    >> On 15/01/2012 14:06, Doug Miller wrote:
    >>> Martin Edwards<> wrote in

    >>> He can't, apparently.
    >>>
    >>> Look at some of his earlier posts: a thread from a few months back
    >>> will give you a good idea of the way he operates. The short version
    >>> is that he was advised to use a DOCTYPE in his document (and told
    >>> explicitly what to put there); instead of copying what he was given,
    >>> he used an invalid DOCTYPE apparently of his own creation, which of
    >>> course increased the error count instead of decreasing it -- and
    >>> concluded on that basis that using a DOCTYPE was a bad idea.

    >>> He doesn't understand it, apparently, and doesn't want to learn.

    >>> Of course not.
    >>>

    >> On taking a better look, it seems he is, shall we say, of right wing
    >> inclination. It all starts to make sense.

    > It has nothing to do with right-wing or left-wing. He's just a loon.
    >
    > Not all right-wingers are loons, nor are all loons right-wingers (examples include Michael Moore,
    > and people who see cause-and-effect relationships between looniness and political orientation).

    Oooooooooooooooooooooooooh!

    Martin Edwards, Jan 17, 2012
  9. On 16/01/2012 15:43, William Gill wrote:
    > On 1/16/2012 4:09 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:
    >
    >> On taking a better look, it seems he is, shall we say, of right wing
    >> inclination. It all starts to make sense.

    > Ah! You must be one those left leaning people who have the monopoly on
    > open mindedness, and tolerance.

    I just have to be me.

    Martin Edwards, Jan 17, 2012
  10. thedarkman

    Doug Miller Guest

    Martin Edwards <> wrote in news:FLeRq.1099$2:

    > On 16/01/2012 15:43, William Gill wrote:
    >> On 1/16/2012 4:09 AM, Martin Edwards wrote:
    >>
    >>> On taking a better look, it seems he is, shall we say, of right wing
    >>> inclination. It all starts to make sense.

    >> Ah! You must be one those left leaning people who have the monopoly on
    >> open mindedness, and tolerance.
    >>

    > I just have to be me.

    Apparently, that includes being someone who interjects gratuitous political insults into a technical
    discussion.

    Doug Miller, Jan 17, 2012
  11. On 17/01/2012 15:21, Doug Miller wrote:
    > Martin Edwards<> wrote in news:FLeRq.1099$2:

    >>> Ah! You must be one those left leaning people who have the monopoly on
    >>> open mindedness, and tolerance.
    >>>

    >> I just have to be me.
    >>

    > Apparently, that includes being someone who interjects gratuitous political insults into a technical
    > discussion.

    Hey, lighten up. I don't jump up and down when people call me a commie.
    Seriously though, I live in Birmingham, and the case has aroused a lot
    of passion over the years. I've even eaten in the Blue Sky. One night
    two guys tried to run out without paying, something I had only heard
    about before.

    Martin Edwards, Jan 18, 2012