    The sort of thing that you would use to recover data from a currupt HDD
    or floppy etc. I would like to be pointed in the right direction as
    far as modules to use and suggested approaches.
    gel, Oct 18, 2006

  2. On 17 Oct 2006 20:18:40 -0700, "gel" <> declaimed
    the following in comp.lang.python:

    > I would like to write some data recovery software as a learning thing.
    > The sort of thing that you would use to recover data from a currupt HDD
    > or floppy etc. I would like to be pointed in the right direction as
    > far as modules to use and suggested approaches.

    Uh... this is highly OS dependent... You need to be able to do
    direct RAW disk sector addressing; something that OSs don't really like
    to give to applications. You also need very good documentation of the
    file system (and the only file system I know well enough to navigate at
    that level is one I haven't used in over a decade -- the file system
    used by the Amiga, which was a hashed-head, multiple linked list
    scheme).
    --
    Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG

    HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/
    (Bestiaria Support Staff: )
    HTTP://www.bestiaria.com/
    Dennis Lee Bieber, Oct 18, 2006

  3. gel

    gel Guest

    Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    > On 17 Oct 2006 20:18:40 -0700, "gel" <> declaimed
    > the following in comp.lang.python:
    >
    > > I would like to write some data recovery software as a learning thing.
    > > The sort of thing that you would use to recover data from a currupt HDD
    > > or floppy etc. I would like to be pointed in the right direction as
    > > far as modules to use and suggested approaches.

    > Uh... this is highly OS dependent... You need to be able to do
    > direct RAW disk sector addressing; something that OSs don't really like
    > to give to applications. You also need very good documentation of the
    > file system (and the only file system I know well enough to navigate at
    > that level is one I haven't used in over a decade -- the file system
    > used by the Amiga, which was a hashed-head, multiple linked list
    > scheme).
    > --
    > Wulfraed Dennis Lee Bieber KD6MOG
    >
    > HTTP://wlfraed.home.netcom.com/

    Yes, OK I guess NTFS would be of most interest to me. From the
    research I have been doing it may be that it is a fairly in depth
    undertaking and possibly not such a good project considering my
    knowledge of NTFS and python. I will have bit more of a look about.

    Thanks
    gel, Oct 18, 2006
  4. gel

    neoedmund Guest

    gel wrote:
    > I would like to write some data recovery software as a learning thing.
    > The sort of thing that you would use to recover data from a currupt HDD
    > or floppy etc. I would like to be pointed in the right direction as
    > far as modules to use and suggested approaches.

    what kind of recovery? disk broken into pieces and recover from it?
    neoedmund, Oct 18, 2006
  5. In <>, gel wrote:

    > Dennis Lee Bieber wrote:
    >> On 17 Oct 2006 20:18:40 -0700, "gel" <> declaimed
    >> the following in comp.lang.python:
    >>
    >> […] You also need very good documentation of the file system […]

    > Yes, OK I guess NTFS would be of most interest to me.

    Then you'll have a hard time because NTFS specs are not available for
    free. Just reverse engineered stuff.

    Ciao,
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch
    Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch, Oct 18, 2006
  6. gel a écrit :
    > I would like to write some data recovery software as a learning thing.
    > The sort of thing that you would use to recover data from a currupt HDD
    > or floppy etc. I would like to be pointed in the right direction as
    > far as modules to use and suggested approaches.

    Once you get a way to access the bytes to recover... the Hachoir library
    can be interresting as a model to map structures on these data.

    http://hachoir.org/

    A+

    Laurent.
    Laurent Pointal, Oct 18, 2006
  7. gel

    gel Guest

    Laurent Pointal wrote:
    > gel a écrit :
    > > I would like to write some data recovery software as a learning thing.
    > > The sort of thing that you would use to recover data from a currupt HDD
    > > or floppy etc. I would like to be pointed in the right direction as
    > > far as modules to use and suggested approaches.
    > >

    > Once you get a way to access the bytes to recover... the Hachoir library
    > can be interresting as a model to map structures on these data.
    >
    > http://hachoir.org/
    >

    > A+
    >
    > Laurent.

    Cheers, I am having a bit of look at it now
    gel, Oct 20, 2006
  8. gel

    Fulvio Guest

    Your mail has been scanned by InterScan MSS.

    On Friday 20 October 2006 07:29, gel wrote:
    > > Once you get a way to access the bytes to recover... the Hachoir library
    > > can be interresting as a model to map structures on these data.
    > >
    > >       http://hachoir.org/

    > Cheers, I am having a bit of look at it now

    Bacula, may be interesting too. (if my infos are correct).

    Fulvio, Oct 20, 2006