    I've been playing around with Javascript and jQuery and as a beginning programmer have really been in over my head. What I want to do is start completely over and actually try to learn a language before diving in.

    My question is, would Python be a suitable language for developing a website / web application that performs these tasks? I've been researching Pythonand it is the language I am most interested in learning. I've been messingaround with IDLE and have really enjoyed the syntax. I've also been reading about Django / Tornado etc. Thank you all so much for your time.

    , Jan 31, 2014

  2. Jeff Sandvik Guest

    Python is definitely suitable for that sort of task.

    Django is good for this sort of thing, but I’d also like to mention using Flask (http://flask.pocoo.org), especially if you are a beginner. I use it for some of my work, and you could potentially get your project up and running that much quicker since it is a fairly light-weight web framework. The only thing is you’ll be missing out on some of the more convenient features that Django introduces.

    Jeff Sandvik, Jan 31, 2014

  3. Roy Smith Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > I have been assigned by an internship with my university's athletic
    > department, to create a statistics website to be used by sports media during
    > games. What this means is that the statistics are generated by a stats
    > computer into an XML file and I am wanting to parse this XML file and place
    > it on the web quickly. Not necessarily in real-time but in a matter of a
    > couple of seconds. I'd like to make a clean, simple website to start off with
    > that displays these statistics.
    >
    > I've been playing around with Javascript and jQuery and as a beginning
    > programmer have really been in over my head. What I want to do is start
    > completely over and actually try to learn a language before diving in.

    My first thought is that this is a really ambitious project for a
    beginning programmer.

    My second thought is that maybe you want to bypass most of the work by
    having a mostly static site (which you can build with any number of
    Content Management Systems, even something like WordPress). Then, have
    a process which takes the XML, parses it (you would use Python's lxml
    library), and produces a HTML file containing the formatted scores. You
    could then include you HTML in the static site by way of an iframe, or
    something like that.

    Roy Smith, Jan 31, 2014