ICallbackEventHandler is it really asynch?

EM_J

I am implementing this interface in one of my pages. The
RaiseCallbackEvent method runs a task for about 3 seconds. I've
noticed when I am on that page and click a tab to navigate to another
page, it may take up to 3 seconds to redirect. If I decrease the time
to 500 ms, the redirect happens much faster.
So it seems like this asynch task is not really asynch, since the
redirect is waiting for it to complete. Am I misunderstanding
something here?
(btw, the asynch task does work, no exceptions thrown).

Thanks,
Emily

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

all requests to the server are async. the number of concurrent requests is
limited. generally browsers limit themselves to 2-4 concurrent requests
(ajax calls are seen by the browser as a request). but if you are using
session, then asp.net serializes requests (async, but run thru a queue).

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

EM_J

Hi Bruce,
Thanks for your response. Seems like I need to understand the
browser/IIS plumbing a bit more.
Is it possible for the browser to issue another request while the
callback request is still processing? If it can handle 2-4 concurrent
requests, then it seems like it would, but the behavior proves
otherwise.
So sending an ajax request blocks the request thread and therefore the
browser cannot send another request until it is freed up, do I have
this right?

Guest

The browser is normally capable of sending more than one request while one is
still executing.
So for example if you had one remote scripting (XMLHTTP) request with a
callback that takes some time, and a shorter one is issued during this
period, the shorter one should return, and then the longer one too.
Peter

http://www.eggheadcafe.com
UnBlog:
http://petesbloggerama.blogspot.com

EM_J

Hi Peter,
This makes sense now with my web application. Do you know of any
articles that explains this in more detail?

Thanks.