iconv.so is not installed with the mswin version of ruby?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by robert.wilder, Feb 14, 2005.

  1. Hello,

    I have used the latest one-click installer version for windows (ruby
    1.8.2-14) and I'm having problems with REXML and the Iconv library.
    I've noticed that there is already a bug report filed for this issue
    (#1414). Does anyone have an idea when this will be fixed? Are there
    any known workarounds?

    For those of you unfamiliar with this issue, I am using rexml to read
    in some xml files encoded in Shift_JIS. My script is dying only for xml
    input files encoded in Shift_JIS. For English, French, and German which
    are encoded in ISO-8859-1 everything works fine.

    When parsing the Japanese I get

    "uconv or iconv is required for Japanese encoding support"

    Simply requiring this library isnt sufficient. As the bug report
    indicates, the iconv.so (and possibly some other important files) are
    missing.

    Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

    -Rob
    robert.wilder, Feb 14, 2005

  2. robert.wilder

    Assaph Mehr Guest

    robert.wilder wrote:
    > Simply requiring this library isnt sufficient. As the bug report
    > indicates, the iconv.so (and possibly some other important files) are
    > missing.

    Here's a workaround.
    You will need iconv.so which you can get from:
    http://ftp.ruby-lang.org/pub/ruby/binaries/mswin32/ruby-1.8.2-i386-mswin32.zip

    open the zip and extract iconv.so from -
    lib\ruby\1.8\i386-mswin32\
    to the corresponding directory of your ruby install.

    You will also need the iconv.dll which you can download from:
    http://www.dll-files.com/dllindex/dll-files.shtml?iconv

    HTH,
    Assaph
    Assaph Mehr, Feb 14, 2005

  3. Thanks Assaph! Everything seems to work beautifully now!

    -Rob
    robert.wilder, Feb 15, 2005