    I am wanting to learn C++, and am curious what my first program should
    be. I learned PHP by reading the docs as I wrote a news posting
    script. Any ideas on how I would go about starting my trek in C++?

    Jason Taylor, Aug 31, 2007

  2. Jason Taylor wrote:
    > I am wanting to learn C++, and am curious what my first program should
    > be. I learned PHP by reading the docs as I wrote a news posting
    > script. Any ideas on how I would go about starting my trek in C++?

    Write the same news posting script in C++. It may require you to
    write your own functions for something that PHP has built-in (like
    processing of URLs or HTTP headers or some such), but it would be
    a very good exercise. You can, of course, use some kind of 3rd
    party library (or you can make it the next cycle of learning C++)
    but I would advise against it at first since it might just clutter
    your process with unnecessary problems.

    Try not to bite off too much at once. Perhaps CGI is not the best
    area to start in. C++ is good in large systems, but when you think
    small, you can create utilities in C++. Something that simply
    reads the input stream and writes something else into the output
    stream. Word/byte/line counting program (you know, 'wc'), or even
    something less sophisticated (although I am not sure how much lower
    can one go beyond 'wc').

    Victor Bazarov, Aug 31, 2007

  3. Jason  Taylor

    Just me Guest

    On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:55:54 +0000, Jason Taylor wrote:

    > I am wanting to learn C++, and am curious what my first program should
    > be. I learned PHP by reading the docs as I wrote a news posting script.
    > Any ideas on how I would go about starting my trek in C++?

    Oh, make it easy on yourself. Write me an AI program to track down and
    assassinate all spammers. I'm thinking lightning bolts through their
    video monitors would do just fine.

    Just me, Aug 31, 2007
  4. On Aug 31, 9:26 am, Just me <> wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Aug 2007 23:55:54 +0000, Jason Taylor wrote:
    > > I am wanting to learn C++, and am curious what my first program should
    > > be. I learned PHP by reading the docs as I wrote a news posting script.
    > > Any ideas on how I would go about starting my trek in C++?

    > Oh, make it easy on yourself. Write me an AI program to track down and
    > assassinate all spammers. I'm thinking lightning bolts through their
    > video monitors would do just fine.

    HI
    to learn c++ and OOPS concepts, Please try implementing design
    patterns, may be you can start of with bridge design pattern!!!!

    Jude Naveen Pinto, Aug 31, 2007