Identify a simgle Computer in a Cookie ?

Greg Cyrus

Hi,
i recently joined an online.game which rules is not to use 2 diffenrent
accounts on one computer.
My girlfriend also wants to play - but we got 1 computer only - so I tried
to trick the thing.

This Game-Web-Service notices a single computer - although i installed
another account with a different Browser Netscape insteed of IE (so
different Cookie-Directory) - but this game-server still acknoledges the
compter as the same for both accounts.

Now I wonder how it does so. As I use to write ASP.NET-Progs. with Cookies
and stuff - I wonder how they can do so.
The only thing I can imagine is something like the Starting-Time of Windows.
MAC-adress of the network-cards/-interface is something that many ppl think
it can be - but I tried some things before without changing the MAC-Adress
od the network-interface-card and it worked - so the MAC-Adress is something
to discard. I guess the cookie stores something like Windows-Starting-Time.

Now my question is: How can i/one identify a computer /doenst matter who's
logged in) and can this info be stored in a cookie.

John Saunders

Greg Cyrus said:
[...]

It could use the IP address of your computer. It cannot see the MAC address.

John Saunders

Greg Cyrus

It could use the IP address of your computer. It cannot see the MAC

any 2nd computer on the internet has 192.168.x.y.

Maybe some information of the OS (Key/GUID).
Is there a list of client-information that can be accessed/read from the
webserver?

Jeff Evans

Greg Cyrus said:
any 2nd computer on the internet has 192.168.x.y.
Maybe some information of the OS (Key/GUID).
Is there a list of client-information that can be accessed/read from the
webserver?

Sounds like a router assigned IP address. Usually servers will pick up on
the actual IP address assigned to your router. To check and see what "ip
address" servers can see when you make a request, try:

http://www.whatismyip.org/

In any case, if they are allowing only one account per IP address, that's a
fairly bad idea since IP addresses are often shared between many
connections. For instance, many users on AOL share one IP address.

If you want to check cookies, you can always go and open the cookie yourself
to see just what it contains.

Guest

Yes, I had the same case in which the public internet site was able to
determine my pc. It was not cookie since I cleared my cookies and everything
I could imagin.
I will be pleased if someone could answer this question. I think this trick
would be OS specific and maybe the security level of IE has some effects on
it!

Greg Cyrus

Sounds like a router assigned IP address. Usually servers will pick up on
the actual IP address assigned to your router. To check and see what "ip
address" servers can see when you make a request, try:

http://www.whatismyip.org/

I dont think so - beacause the game allows alot of players on each computer
of that network. I as you say - there would be only one computer allowed.

Just try this: http://placeofplay.de/tests/javascripts/aboutme-findout.htm

What I cant understand ist the so called "Past information, Cookie
information" ith calue = 21.08.2001 12:42:19

and another info called

HTTP cookie pop1=general; CookieVBScript=27%2E08%2E2001+12%3A42%3A19;
ASPSESSIONIDGGGGQOEO=HNMBEGICEGBNJOBGNJDLOHID

(see the dat inside 27.08.2001+12:42:19)

these are always the same - even when you use another Internet-client (ie,
netscape).

What does these infos say and mean? and where do they come from?