Idiots guide to divs?

Discussion in 'HTML' started by R2G2, May 20, 2005.

  1. R2G2

    R2G2 Guest

    Is there any way to lock a div to, for instance, the top right hand
    corner of a table cell, so that what ever text size the user is using,
    the div is always 'attached' to that cell?

    (I want an image in a div to appear when someone hovers over a
    'hotspot' on an image in a table - half-way down the page at
    www.barnabybear.net/p13.htm for an example) - sorry for the music -
    the kids love it.

    While I'm here, is there an idiots guide to divs - I'm slowly learning
    html, but I'm still using dreamweaver's help to create divs, and I'm
    sure that my overreliance on that is causing me problems.

    TIA for any hints

    --
    Beccy

    Bec but...

    R2G2, May 20, 2005

  2. R2G2 wrote:
    > While I'm here, is there an idiots guide to divs - I'm slowly

    learning
    > html, but I'm still using dreamweaver's help to create divs, and I'm
    > sure that my overreliance on that is causing me problems.

    Actually if you take advantage of dreamweaver's code editing screens it
    will probalby help you learn HTML. You do not hav to use the WYSIWYG
    part of Dreamweaver. It's Editor is (IMOHO) one of the best around.
    Made by the ssame people that created topstyle.

    --
    -=tn=-

    Travis Newbury, May 20, 2005

  3. R2G2

    Toby Inkster Guest

    R2G2 wrote:

    > While I'm here, is there an idiots guide to divs

    DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
    and without a bullet point by default.

    HTH

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 20, 2005
  4. Toby Inkster wrote:
    > DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
    > and without a bullet point by default.

    Also, DIV is allowed as a direct child of a different (non-intersecting)
    set of elements from LI. And it has different semantics.

    Leif K-Brooks, May 20, 2005
  5. R2G2

    Spartanicus Guest

    Toby Inkster <> wrote:

    >DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
    >and without a bullet point by default.

    Incorrect, the div element has no implied semantics, presentation or
    structure [1], the li element is for marking up content that is part of
    a list.

    [1] Structure pertaining to the content (as opposed to structure
    pertaining to the code).

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, May 20, 2005
  6. R2G2

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Leif K-Brooks wrote:

    > Toby Inkster wrote:
    >> DIV is exactly like LI, except with different default padding and margins
    >> and without a bullet point by default.

    > Also, DIV is allowed as a direct child of a different (non-intersecting)
    > set of elements from LI. And it has different semantics.

    True. I was focussing on the content model *inside* the element --
    completely forgot about the outside. D'oh!

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, May 20, 2005