IE 7 CSS Problems

imsoper

I'm having with CSS on one section of a site that I am working on:

http://demo.vabb.com/faq.php

In IE 6, Firefox 2 and Safari 2 it looks great. But in IE 7 it shifts
the background image of the Body tag to the right, unless I open up
the elements in the FAQ. If all the <dd> elements are shown, then the
background image shifts back centered like it is supposed to be. It is
using a Javascript to show/hide <dd> elements which are the answer to
the questions contained in <dt> elements.

Anyone have any ideas why IE 7 is causing this shift?

RvT

I would suggest rewriting the code using DIVs and SPANs rather than
DDs and DTs. The way your want your site is so simple, yet your CSS is
apparently so complex that you had to implement more than a dozen IE
fixes and 2 style-sheets for different IE versions. That is already a
very bad basis and makes your code very vulnerable for any browser
update to come. Also, with this setup you should easily be able to
make your page scalable instead of going for absolute positions.
Better redo it now and do it good instead of getting into problems
later on.

(e-mail address removed) schreef:

imsoper

I would suggest rewriting the code using DIVs and SPANs rather than
DDs and DTs. The way your want your site is so simple, yet your CSS is
apparently so complex that you had to implement more than a dozen IE
fixes and 2 style-sheets for different IE versions. That is already a
very bad basis and makes your code very vulnerable for any browser
update to come. Also, with this setup you should easily be able to
make your page scalable instead of going for absolute positions.
Better redo it now and do it good instead of getting into problems
later on.

(e-mail address removed) schreef:

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a shot and mark this one as a
learning experience.

Bergamot

RvT said:
I would suggest rewriting the code using DIVs and SPANs rather than
DDs and DTs.

That would be foolish. Div and span should not be used when there are
more meaningful elements to do the job. Using a definition list for an
FAQ might be debatable, but that's better than your suggestion, I think.

And please stop top posting. If you spent any time lurking in this group
before jumping in, you'd know the accepted posting practices.
you had to implement more than a dozen IE
fixes and 2 style-sheets for different IE versions. That is already a
very bad basis

I haven't looked at the OP's code, but this does sound overly
complicated. Maintenance will surely be a PITA.

RvT

That would be foolish. Div and span should not be used when there are
more meaningful elements to do the job. Using a definition list for an
FAQ might be debatable, but that's better than your suggestion, I think.

You could very easily use SPAN in this case for it is a small page, I
don't see any reason why this should not be "meaningful". The page is
rather small and you could easily limit the SPAN to the DIV that
contains the FAQ list.
And please stop top posting. If you spent any time lurking in this group
before jumping in, you'd know the accepted posting practices.

I see a question and I answer it in order to help someone out. If you
don't like it, so be it, but I find your hostility quite out of place.

John Hosking

RvT said:
I see a question and I answer it in order to help someone out. If you
don't like it, so be it, but I find your hostility quite out of place.

It's not hostility, friend. It's a useful tip about how to get along in
the NG. Like somebody advising which fork to use for the salad, or that
you should cover your mouth when you yawn. (And BTW, don't yawn.)

Top-posting is, indeed, very much disliked here. I, too, would
appreciate it if you'd avoid it. No hostility intended.

Lurking and reading FAQs seem to be lost skills these days, but they're
useful for those folks (surely this includes you) who really want to be
helpful in a NG.

Sherm Pendley

RvT said:
I would suggest rewriting the code using DIVs and SPANs rather than
DDs and DTs.

That's absurd. DD and DT have a semantic meaning - a list of terms and
definitions. DIV is *not* an adequate replacement.

sherm--

Sherm Pendley

RvT said:
You could very easily use SPAN

Equally foolish.
don't see any reason why this should not be "meaningful".

Then learn some HTML. SPAN has no semantic meaning whatsoever. There is no
way for it to be as meaningful as correct markup.
I see a question and I answer it in order to help someone out.

Irrelevant. Bad advice is bad advice, even when it's well-intentioned.

sherm--

Blinky the Shark

Bergamot said:
Google groups is the worst thing that has ever happened to Usenet. :-(

May I quote that (with credit) in the "Other Voices" section on the page
linked in my sig? Always on the lookout for testimonials. :)

Bergamot

Blinky said:
May I quote that (with credit) in the "Other Voices" section on the page
linked in my sig? Always on the lookout for testimonials. :)

I'd be honored :)