IE and Java Classes

Discussion in 'Java' started by Kent Feiler, Jul 23, 2003.

  1. Kent Feiler

    Kent Feiler Guest

    Can anyone tell me how IE processes Java Objects? Does it use a JVM
    that's embedded in the browser or one that's on the user's system?
    The reason I'm asking is that I have an applet that plays sounds. I
    use an Applet tag for Netscape/Mozilla and an Object tag for IE. It
    works fine on my system for all three browsers, it works fine for
    anyone anywhere using Netscape/Mozilla, but doesn't work at all for
    many people using IE, even the same version of IE that I have.

    What's going on? It seems that my system is different than other
    people accessing the pages, but I don't know how. The only difference
    I can think of is that I've installed the Java SDK and they haven't.
    Here's the URL for the page involving the sounds:

    Zoo.KentFeiler.com

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,

    Regards,

    Kent Feiler

    www.KentFeiler.com

    Kent Feiler, Jul 23, 2003

  2. Kent Feiler <> writes:

    > Can anyone tell me how IE processes Java Objects? Does it use a JVM
    > that's embedded in the browser or one that's on the user's system?

    for applet elements, unless you let Sun's JRE "take over" (which it
    quietly does on newer installs) it uses the VM in msjava.dll.

    > The reason I'm asking is that I have an applet that plays sounds. I
    > use an Applet tag for Netscape/Mozilla and an Object tag for IE. It
    > works fine on my system for all three browsers, it works fine for
    > anyone anywhere using Netscape/Mozilla, but doesn't work at all for
    > many people using IE, even the same version of IE that I have.

    But when you use OBJECT you're probably using the plugin instead, and
    unless they have installed the JDK or JRE they will not have that.

    Try using APPLET for everybody.

    Tor Iver Wilhelmsen, Jul 23, 2003

  3. Kent Feiler

    Kent Feiler Guest

    On 23 Jul 2003 20:20:57 +0200, Tor Iver Wilhelmsen
    <> wrote:

    >Kent Feiler <> writes:
    >
    >> Can anyone tell me how IE processes Java Objects? Does it use a JVM
    >> that's embedded in the browser or one that's on the user's system?

    >for applet elements, unless you let Sun's JRE "take over" (which it
    >quietly does on newer installs) it uses the VM in msjava.dll.
    >
    >> The reason I'm asking is that I have an applet that plays sounds. I
    >> use an Applet tag for Netscape/Mozilla and an Object tag for IE. It
    >> works fine on my system for all three browsers, it works fine for
    >> anyone anywhere using Netscape/Mozilla, but doesn't work at all for
    >> many people using IE, even the same version of IE that I have.

    >But when you use OBJECT you're probably using the plugin instead, and
    >unless they have installed the JDK or JRE they will not have that.
    >
    >Try using APPLET for everybody.

    Thanks for your help.

    APPLET doesn't work on IE. The situation seems to be that
    APPLET/EMBED works for Netscape/Mozilla/Firebird, but OBJECT doesn't
    work, and APPLET/EMBED don't work for IE but OBJECT does. So...I've
    been using a Javascript sniffer and writing an APPLET for
    Netscape/Mozilla and an OBJECT for IE. Life is sweet! ; >)

    I'm sure, based on the endless time required to load the APPLET, that
    Netscape/Mozilla use the plugin. I'm also sure that based on the
    instantaneous load time for IE, that it doesn't use it. Likely it uses
    MSJAVA.DLL, but is that a standard part of IE (or windows), or is it
    conditional on the browser version version or the setup parameters?
    Also, is that dll written only by IE or is it overwritten when you
    install Mozilla or Netscape?

    But this does seem like the answer.

    Regards,

    Regards,

    Kent Feiler

    www.KentFeiler.com

    Kent Feiler, Jul 24, 2003
  4. Kent Feiler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Kent Feiler <> wrote:

    : Perhaps this has something to do with how it's invoked. Here's the
    : APPLET:

    : <applet name="playit" code="PlaySound.class" width="1" height="1">
    : </applet>

    : It's "played" by a Javascript routine that passes it a sound file,
    : i.e:

    : function sounds ()
    : {
    : document.playit.playnow('../bin/fox.wav');
    : }

    : This works fine for Netscape/Mozilla, but IE gives me, "Object doesn't
    : support this Property or Method."

    Could be.

    Also, if you're trying to play it using an Java 1.1 JVM, be aware that
    that only supports the ".au" file format - and only certain subsets of
    that.
    --
    __________

    Tim Tyler, Jul 25, 2003
  5. Kent Feiler

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    Tim Tyler wrote:

    > Also, if you're trying to play it using an Java 1.1 JVM, be aware that
    > that only supports the ".au" file format - and only certain subsets of
    > that.

    Actually, it only supports a single format:

    8 bit, u-law, 8000 Hz, one-channel, Sun ".au" files

    Note that sample-rate. Might not be the "8KHz" that some expect. (Some
    used 8012 for 8KHz)

    http://ptolemy.eecs.berkeley.edu/java/audio/

    Jon A. Cruz, Jul 26, 2003
  6. Kent Feiler

    Jon A. Cruz Guest

    me wrote:
    > otherwise ie might not be able to load the classes, and may
    > report that it cant find the classes. And remember that
    > ie does not read Jar archives, only class files and Cab
    > archives.

    Actually, Microsoft added Jar support way back while they were still
    plaing nice with Sun.

    For example, if you read Microsoft knowledge base article # 168941, it
    states that

    > The Microsoft VM supports uncompressed and compressed JAR levels 0 and 1, but not signed JAR.

    >>I'm sure, based on the endless time required to load the APPLET, that
    >>Netscape/Mozilla use the plugin. I'm also sure that based on the
    >>instantaneous load time for IE, that it doesn't use it. Likely it uses
    >>MSJAVA.DLL, but is that a standard part of IE (or windows), or is it
    >>conditional on the browser version version or the setup parameters?

    > It was a standard piece of ie for some years, but is no more.

    Actually, it was a standard piece of the OS. Any MS product could update
    that piece and all MS apps using it would get the new one. So the
    version of the MS VM being used was independent of the version of MSIE
    being used.

    Jon A. Cruz, Jul 26, 2003
  7. Kent Feiler

    Kent Feiler Guest

    On 26 Jul 2003 02:31:08 -0700, (me) wrote:

    Try using APPLET for everybody.
    >Actually <APPLET> works fine for both ie and mozilla. If your
    >friends only have microsofts builtin JVM and you are using
    >suns "javac" to compiler your applet, then you must force
    >the compiler to produce old java 1.1 compatible class
    >files, like so:
    >
    >javac -target 1.1 ... blah blah

    That did have an effect. The APPLET still doesn't work on IE, but
    there's a different and more puzzling error message:

    Error: com.ms.SecurityExceptionEX(PlaySound.playnow)
    cannot access file /c:/kf/webpage/bin/elephant.au

    There's no obvious reason why it wouldn't be able to access the file.
    The same HTML file plays on Netscape/Mozilla, and the security is
    exactly the same for the HTML file, the AU file, and all the Java
    files.

    Regards,

    Regards,

    Kent Feiler

    www.KentFeiler.com

    Kent Feiler, Jul 26, 2003
  8. Kent Feiler

    Kent Feiler Guest

    On Sat, 26 Jul 2003 08:46:35 -0700, "Jon A. Cruz" <>
    wrote:

    >>>I'm sure, based on the endless time required to load the APPLET, that
    >>>Netscape/Mozilla use the plugin. I'm also sure that based on the
    >>>instantaneous load time for IE, that it doesn't use it. Likely it uses
    >>>MSJAVA.DLL, but is that a standard part of IE (or windows), or is it
    >>>conditional on the browser version version or the setup parameters?

    >> It was a standard piece of ie for some years, but is no more.

    >Actually, it was a standard piece of the OS. Any MS product could update
    >that piece and all MS apps using it would get the new one. So the
    >version of the MS VM being used was independent of the version of MSIE
    >being used.

    I take it that Netscape/Mozilla would NOT update MSJAVA.DLL. How
    about the latest Windows Media Player? Could it be that having people
    download the latest WMP might fix the problem even though it wasn't
    being used to play the sounds? I'm getting to hate computers...or
    maybe it's just Microsoft that I hate.

    Regards,

    Regards,

    Kent Feiler

    www.KentFeiler.com

    Kent Feiler, Jul 26, 2003
  9. Kent Feiler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    Kent Feiler <> wrote:
    : On 26 Jul 2003 02:31:08 -0700, (me) wrote:

    :>javac -target 1.1 ... blah blah
    : ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    : That did have an effect. The APPLET still doesn't work on IE, but
    : there's a different and more puzzling error message:

    : Error: com.ms.SecurityExceptionEX(PlaySound.playnow)
    : cannot access file /c:/kf/webpage/bin/elephant.au

    : There's no obvious reason why it wouldn't be able to access the file.

    How about the fact that is a local file with an absolute path?

    : The same HTML file plays on Netscape/Mozilla, and the security is
    : exactly the same for the HTML file, the AU file, and all the Java
    : files.

    I wouldn't bet on the security being the same - given the problem you are
    seeing.
    --

    Tim Tyler, Jul 28, 2003