IE Language Pack Prompt?

CMM

ASP.NET 2005, I can't seem to figure out how to get IE to display the
language pack prompt for pages that contain foreign characters. You should
be able to do this using meta tags contentype directive but it doesn't work
with ASP.NET... I assume because ASP.NET is sending a contradicting
directive in the response header.

Changing the responseEncoding attribute in Web.Config is not an option. It
is currently set to utf-8 and the site is mixed English, Japanese, etc.

UICulture is set to Japanese. All my resourse files stuff works as
expected... just IE won't display the prompt for users that don't have the
packs already installed.

What am I doing wrong?

Bruce Barker

you have to use font "embedding". specify the font and source in the style
sheet.

<!--
@font-face {
font-family: myfont;
font-style: normal;
font-weight: normal;
src: url(http://www.mysite.com/myfont.eot);
}
-->

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

CMM

I'm not sure if that's what I'm looking. Doesn't sound like it. I'm not
hosting the fonts. These are fonts that are part of the IE language
packs.... if you ever visit a foreign site (for instance:
http://www.sigmagain.com/) IE recognizes and prompts the user to download a
language pack.

The problem is that ASP.NET sends (I think) stuff to the browser (even
foreign fonts) in a netral UTF-8 manner. Apparently IE doesn't pick up on
this off the bat.... eventhough it displays the chinese text just FINE on
systems with the language pack installed. On systems without the language
pack, IE does NOT prompt, and the text appears as garbage.

Suppossedly you can accomplish this using meta tags... but the response
header supercedes it!.... ASP.NET is sending incorrect information in the
response header eventhough the UICulture and things like that are set just
fine in the code.