IE Never finishes loading page when dynamically removing images

Nodlehs

While testing my pages in IE and Firefox, I have noticed that when I
remove an image from the DOM before it has finished downloading in IE,
that the status bar gets stuck at Downloading Picture https://....
Which means the page never finishes loading, I have tested by just
making the images style.display = "none" and I no longer get the error,
but since this is an AJAX app, that would just leak memory as images
would never get deleted when people traverse the web app. Has anyone
else experienced this behavior or have a possible solution?

Thanks