IE not showing XBM images

Peter

Hello group,
My Internet Explorer (version 6, on Wind. Mill.) suddenly stopped displaying
XBM images, for no apparent reason. I now get the dreaded missing-image
icon, where previously there would be a nice black-n-picture, whether
created locally with Javascript or called in as an .xbm file. (See
http://www.tau.ac.il/images/large/Images.html or http://4umi.com/image/xbm/
for examples.)
Where do I even begin to look for the cause of this, and how do I remedy it?

Many thanks,
Peter

Peter

uninstall the latest image-viewer you have installed

Thank you well for your idea. I don't however remember installing
image-viewing software at any time in the recent or distant past. The latest
addition to the system, but from before the images disappeared, is this :
Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01
Using JRE version 1.5.0_01 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

And I don't see how it could interfere, XBM images tending to be C-like
code, possibly generated by a scripting language such as Javascript, not
Java. Nor do I know how I could uninstall that..

Thanks again,
Peter

PS How well supported is the XBM format anyway among current and
developing browsers in general btw?

Grant Wagner

Peter said:
Hello group,
My Internet Explorer (version 6, on Wind. Mill.) suddenly stopped
displaying
XBM images, for no apparent reason. I now get the dreaded
missing-image
icon, where previously there would be a nice black-n-picture, whether
created locally with Javascript or called in as an .xbm file. (See
http://www.tau.ac.il/images/large/Images.html or
http://4umi.com/image/xbm/
for examples.)
Where do I even begin to look for the cause of this, and how do I
remedy it?

Many thanks,
Peter

Not a JavaScript issue. However:

WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I
cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

- Start > Run > type "regedit" (no quotation marks) and hit Enter
- open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
- find and open .jpg
- highlight PersistentHandler
- double-click (Default)
- highlight the contents of Value data:, hit CTRL+C (or right-click and
pick Copy), click Cancel

You now have a copy of the persistent handler CLSID in your clipboard.

- find, open and highlight .xbm
- if there is no key called PersistentHandler click Edit > New > Key and
name the new key "PersistentHandler" (no quotation marks)
- highlight PersistentHandler
- double-click (Default)
- remove anything currently in the Value data: input box, ensure your
cursor is in the Value data: input box and hit CTRL+V (or right-click
and pick Paste), click OK

And remember, you've now replaced the persistent handler for that file
type, so some other application may stop working or may work
incorrectly.

VK

How well supported is the XBM format anyway among current and
developing browsers in general btw?

It was build into the Mozilla prototype. So it should be supported by
everyone starting Netscape 1. Unless someone cleaned the core code
later. IE still supports it for sure. The rest simply check.

Peter

- Start > Run > type "regedit" (no quotation marks) and hit Enter
- open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
- find and open .jpg
- highlight PersistentHandler
<snip>

Wow, that looks promising. I tried it exactly as you said, the .jpg key was
quickly found, but it didn't contain anything like PersistentHandler. ??
It had one subkey, "ShellEx", with one subkey, a clsid, that was the same
with .tif and other keys for image extensions. I built the same subtree
under the .xbm key (it had no childkeys), then restarted the browser...
Alas, still the red little cross. Still I guess the solution is somewhere in
registry, but it 's not the best place for experimentations.
Pete