    Where do I even begin to look for the cause of this, and how do I remedy it?

    Many thanks,
    Peter

    Peter, Jul 16, 2005

  2. Peter

    VK Guest

    uninstall the latest image-viewer you have installed

    VK, Jul 16, 2005

  3. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "VK" wrote
    > "Peter" wrote
    > > My Internet Explorer (version 6, on Wind. Mill.) suddenly stopped
    > > displaying XBM images, for no apparent reason.

    > uninstall the latest image-viewer you have installed

    Thank you well for your idea. I don't however remember installing
    image-viewing software at any time in the recent or distant past. The latest
    addition to the system, but from before the images disappeared, is this :
    Java Plug-in 1.5.0_01
    Using JRE version 1.5.0_01 Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM

    And I don't see how it could interfere, XBM images tending to be C-like
    code, possibly generated by a scripting language such as Javascript, not
    Java. Nor do I know how I could uninstall that..

    Thanks again,
    Peter

    PS How well supported is the XBM format anyway among current and
    developing browsers in general btw?

    Peter, Jul 17, 2005
  4. Peter

    Grant Wagner Guest

    "Peter" <> wrote in message
    > Hello group,
    > My Internet Explorer (version 6, on Wind. Mill.) suddenly stopped
    > displaying
    > XBM images, for no apparent reason. I now get the dreaded
    > missing-image
    > icon, where previously there would be a nice black-n-picture, whether
    > created locally with Javascript or called in as an .xbm file. (See
    > http://www.tau.ac.il/images/large/Images.html or
    > http://4umi.com/image/xbm/
    > for examples.)
    > Where do I even begin to look for the cause of this, and how do I
    > remedy it?
    >
    > Many thanks,
    > Peter

    Not a JavaScript issue. However:

    WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious
    problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system. I
    cannot guarantee that you can solve problems that result from using
    Registry Editor incorrectly. Use Registry Editor at your own risk.

    - Start > Run > type "regedit" (no quotation marks) and hit Enter
    - open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    - find and open .jpg
    - highlight PersistentHandler
    - double-click (Default)
    - highlight the contents of Value data:, hit CTRL+C (or right-click and
    pick Copy), click Cancel

    You now have a copy of the persistent handler CLSID in your clipboard.

    - find, open and highlight .xbm
    - if there is no key called PersistentHandler click Edit > New > Key and
    name the new key "PersistentHandler" (no quotation marks)
    - highlight PersistentHandler
    - double-click (Default)
    - remove anything currently in the Value data: input box, ensure your
    cursor is in the Value data: input box and hit CTRL+V (or right-click
    and pick Paste), click OK

    And remember, you've now replaced the persistent handler for that file
    type, so some other application may stop working or may work
    incorrectly.

    --
    Grant Wagner <>

    Grant Wagner, Jul 18, 2005
  5. Peter

    VK Guest

    > How well supported is the XBM format anyway among current and
    > developing browsers in general btw?

    It was build into the Mozilla prototype. So it should be supported by
    everyone starting Netscape 1. Unless someone cleaned the core code
    later. IE still supports it for sure. The rest simply check.

    VK, Jul 18, 2005
  6. Peter

    Peter Guest

    "Grant Wagner" wrote
    > - Start > Run > type "regedit" (no quotation marks) and hit Enter
    > - open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
    > - find and open .jpg
    > - highlight PersistentHandler

    <snip>

    Wow, that looks promising. I tried it exactly as you said, the .jpg key was
    quickly found, but it didn't contain anything like PersistentHandler. ??
    It had one subkey, "ShellEx", with one subkey, a clsid, that was the same
    with .tif and other keys for image extensions. I built the same subtree
    under the .xbm key (it had no childkeys), then restarted the browser...
    Alas, still the red little cross. Still I guess the solution is somewhere in
    registry, but it 's not the best place for experimentations.
    Pete

    Peter, Jul 18, 2005