IE warning

Ouabaine

Hello,

Thanks to your advice, I can now create my applets. But under Internet
Explorer, I get a yellow popup line on the top of the page, telling me that
the content is not safe and I have to authorise it to work.
So I told me, it was because the applet was not signed. So I used keytools
and jarsigner to sign my applet. The result is the same, but now I get
another warning telling me that the certificate is not registered.

I know it is possible to have Applets run without warning. For example, all
the applets on this page http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/index.html run
directly without any popup.

Does anyone know how to proceed to remove the warning?

Thanks.

PS: no warning under Firefox. I suspect Microsoft as enforced the warning to
make Java look less safe than C#!

Wayne

Ouabaine said:
Hello,

Thanks to your advice, I can now create my applets. But under Internet
Explorer, I get a yellow popup line on the top of the page, telling me that
the content is not safe and I have to authorise it to work.
So I told me, it was because the applet was not signed. So I used keytools
and jarsigner to sign my applet. The result is the same, but now I get
another warning telling me that the certificate is not registered.

I suspect you need to pay to have a certificate authority (CA) that is
bundled with IE, to sign your applet.

Also there's probably an option in your Windows system to turn off
those warnings.

-Wayne

Qu0ll

Ouabaine said:
Hello,

Thanks to your advice, I can now create my applets. But under Internet
Explorer, I get a yellow popup line on the top of the page, telling me
that the content is not safe and I have to authorise it to work.
So I told me, it was because the applet was not signed. So I used keytools
and jarsigner to sign my applet. The result is the same, but now I get
another warning telling me that the certificate is not registered.

I know it is possible to have Applets run without warning. For example,
all the applets on this page
http://java.sun.com/applets/jdk/1.4/index.html run directly without any
popup.

Does anyone know how to proceed to remove the warning?

Thanks.

PS: no warning under Firefox. I suspect Microsoft as enforced the warning
to make Java look less safe than C#!

Are you testing your applet on the same machine as the HTTP server? If so,
this is the expected behaviour (Google "Mark of the Web"). It will play
better when deployed over the internet.

--
And loving it,

-Q
(e-mail address removed)
(Replace the "SixFour" with numbers to email me)

TwelveEighty

So I used keytools
and jarsigner to sign my applet. The result is the same, but now I get
another warning telling me that the certificate is not registered.

I think you can switch off this checking in IE by "zone" - or add the
IIS server to your trusted zone, or perhaps with the control panel
plugin for the JRE. However, from a design perspective, if you are
planning to use your applet on a public website, your code really must
be signed by an authorized certificate to avoid user complaints.

Roedy Green

Thanks to your advice, I can now create my applets. But under Internet
Explorer, I get a yellow popup line on the top of the page, telling me that
the content is not safe and I have to authorise it to work.

This is just Microsoft fucking with your head. It is part of Gates'
war on Java. Unsigned applets are quite safe. They run in a very
strict sandbox.

Andrew Thompson

Qu0ll wrote:
Are you testing your applet on the same machine as the HTTP server? If so,
this is the expected behaviour (Google "Mark of the Web").

I think you've 'hit the nail on the head' with this one.

To the OP - don't sign the code. Research the 'Mark of the Web'
as Qu0ll suggests.
It will play better when deployed over the internet.

No it wont.

The MotW supposedly has no effect on applets that are coming
from a remote (or local) /server/ - it does nothing for them but add
extra bytes to the HTML.

Note: You can see a MotW if you 'save' one of those Sun pages
using IE and then view the source - IE inserts the MotW into the
HTML, so the applet can come up (when loaded off local disk)
with no warning.

--
Andrew Thompson
http://www.physci.org/