IEEE-488 (GP-IB) Interface Lib for Ruby

John Joyce

Greetings,

Is anyone aware of a Ruby library for controlling IEEE-488 interface
cards? The specific application that I am having to work with is
running MS-Windows XP and uses National Instruments IEEE-488 interface
cards. So far a search of this newsgroup and the general web hasn't
returned anything promising. NI normally provides several levels of
drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
interfaces. Use of any of these would probably be acceptable.

Thanks,

John

---------------

Dr. John Joyce
LIMS Manager
Division of Consolidated Laboratory Services
600 N. 5th St.
Richmond, VA 23219

Mailto: (e-mail address removed) <--- Address Change
Phone: 804-648-4480, X-384
FAX: 804-692-0416=20
=20

David Vallner

--------------enig6CC913FE12CB76E574A23BF4

John said:
NI normally provides several levels of
drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
interfaces.

Get the COM ones, and try WIN32OLE? Probably a fairly nice and
effortless way if it works in the first place and portability to
non-Windows is not an issue.

David Vallner

--------------enig6CC913FE12CB76E574A23BF4

--------------enig6CC913FE12CB76E574A23BF4--

Tim Pease

Greetings,

Is anyone aware of a Ruby library for controlling IEEE-488 interface
cards? The specific application that I am having to work with is
running MS-Windows XP and uses National Instruments IEEE-488 interface
cards. So far a search of this newsgroup and the general web hasn't
returned anything promising. NI normally provides several levels of
drivers, ranging from direct port access through DLL and COM
interfaces. Use of any of these would probably be acceptable.

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/ruby-gpib/

Have not tried these personally. We use the NI Ethernet / GPIB
converter boxes here at work. Everything is just a socket call, but
the transfer rates are slower than the PCI cards.

Blessings,
TwP