    course a cumbersome solution. I don't know very much about html actually,
    this site is a way to become more familiar with it. What would be a better
    solution, keeping in mind that I would like the site to be XHTML valid?

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 11, 2005

  2. GuyBrush Treepwood

    Oli Filth Guest

    GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    > I'm making a website for a friend's band, this is what I've got already:
    >
    > http://users.skynet.be/am036990/new/

    Why do you need to use frames at all?

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 11, 2005

  3. On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:22:37 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

    > GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    >> I'm making a website for a friend's band, this is what I've got already:
    >>
    >> http://users.skynet.be/am036990/new/
    >>

    > Why do you need to use frames at all?

    Well, advise me something better.

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 11, 2005
  4. GuyBrush Treepwood

    Oli Filth Guest

    GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:22:37 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:
    >
    >>GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm making a website for a friend's band, this is what I've got already:
    >>>
    >>>http://users.skynet.be/am036990/new/
    >>>

    >>Why do you need to use frames at all?

    > Well, advise me something better.

    Umm, ok. Don't use frames unless you have a *very* specific reason for
    them. See http://www.html-faq.com/htmlframes/?framesareevil for some
    reasons why frames are generally a bad idea from a navigable website
    perspective.

    There's nothing (as far as I can see) on your site that can't be done
    with nested (scrolling) DIVs and some CSS styling.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 11, 2005
  5. GuyBrush Treepwood

    Oli Filth Guest

    Oli Filth wrote:
    > There's nothing (as far as I can see) on your site that can't be done
    > with nested (scrolling) DIVs and some CSS styling.

    Actually, that wasn't very helpful was it! As far as I can see, you're
    using frames to implement a scrollable area embedded somewhere in the
    middle of the overall page. You can achieve this effect using the
    "overflow:auto" CSS property, which when applied to a block element
    (such as a <DIV>) will make it scrollable if necessary.

    See http://olifilth.co.uk/36.htm for an example of how this works.

    P.S. If you're attempting to adhere to W3C standards (which it would
    appear from your use of a DOCTYPE) and you're writing a brand new site,
    it's generally recommended to go straight to Strict (X)HTML rather than
    the Transitional equivalent.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 11, 2005
  6. On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:55:03 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

    > Oli Filth wrote:
    >> There's nothing (as far as I can see) on your site that can't be done
    >> with nested (scrolling) DIVs and some CSS styling.

    > Actually, that wasn't very helpful was it! As far as I can see, you're
    > using frames to implement a scrollable area embedded somewhere in the
    > middle of the overall page. You can achieve this effect using the
    > "overflow:auto" CSS property, which when applied to a block element
    > (such as a <DIV>) will make it scrollable if necessary.
    >
    > See http://olifilth.co.uk/36.htm for an example of how this works.
    >

    > P.S. If you're attempting to adhere to W3C standards (which it would
    > appear from your use of a DOCTYPE) and you're writing a brand new site,
    > it's generally recommended to go straight to Strict (X)HTML rather than
    > the Transitional equivalent.

    OK, I'll take a look at your links. Thanks for the help.

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 12, 2005
  7. On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 16:55:03 +0000, Oli Filth wrote:

    > Oli Filth wrote:
    >> There's nothing (as far as I can see) on your site that can't be done
    >> with nested (scrolling) DIVs and some CSS styling.

    > Actually, that wasn't very helpful was it! As far as I can see, you're
    > using frames to implement a scrollable area embedded somewhere in the
    > middle of the overall page. You can achieve this effect using the
    > "overflow:auto" CSS property, which when applied to a block element
    > (such as a <DIV>) will make it scrollable if necessary.
    >
    > See http://olifilth.co.uk/36.htm for an example of how this works.
    >

    > P.S. If you're attempting to adhere to W3C standards (which it would
    > appear from your use of a DOCTYPE) and you're writing a brand new site,
    > it's generally recommended to go straight to Strict (X)HTML rather than
    > the Transitional equivalent.

    But I think the original question still holds? What to do if I want to
    have a "transparent" background in this scrollable area?

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 12, 2005
  8. GuyBrush Treepwood

    rf Guest

    "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote

    > But I think the original question still holds? What to do if I want to
    > have a "transparent" background in this scrollable area?

    Let me clarify the above.

    You use an iframe.

    You want the background of the iframe to be transparent, so the background
    of the underlying page shows through?

    Well this is not going to happen. An iframe is a seperate browser window (or
    can, for all intents and purposes considered to be so) with all of the other
    problems that frames in general exhibit (like *not* being able to bookmark
    the "page").

    Use something other than a iframe, say a scrolling div. This you *can*
    cause to have a transparent background, since it lives in the same window as
    the rest of the content. In fact the default background is transparent.

    BTW if I were that band I would tell you to redesign the layout. Fixed size
    and soooo small :-(

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 12, 2005
  9. On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:17:32 +0000, rf wrote:

    > "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote
    >
    >> But I think the original question still holds? What to do if I want to
    >> have a "transparent" background in this scrollable area?

    > Let me clarify the above.
    >
    > You use an iframe.
    >
    > You want the background of the iframe to be transparent, so the background
    > of the underlying page shows through?
    >
    > Well this is not going to happen. An iframe is a seperate browser window (or
    > can, for all intents and purposes considered to be so) with all of the other
    > problems that frames in general exhibit (like *not* being able to bookmark
    > the "page").

    Well, I meant an illusion of transparancy.

    > Use something other than a iframe, say a scrolling div. This you *can*
    > cause to have a transparent background, since it lives in the same
    > window as the rest of the content. In fact the default background is
    > transparent.
    >
    > BTW if I were that band I would tell you to redesign the layout. Fixed
    > size and soooo small :-(

    What do you mean by fixed size? The font or the menu on the left? I really
    need these kind of hints and help, I'm trying to learn by making this
    site, so thanks in advance.

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 12, 2005
  10. GuyBrush Treepwood

    rf Guest

    "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:17:32 +0000, rf wrote:

    > Well, I meant an illusion of transparancy.

    OK. But it will break as soon as your viewer changes her font size.

    http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/temp/strings.jpg

    Notice how the strings no longer line up.

    > What do you mean by fixed size?

    The whole size of the site is fixed inside what looks to be a 600x400 box.
    It does not utilize my entire viewport. See above.

    See also http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign

    > The font

    Your font size seems fine. Haven't checked but it looks like you have
    specified 100% or nothing at all. In any case it is changable, even in IE
    which is good.

    > or the menu on the left?

    There is no "font size" for that menu as it is pictures of text. Large
    enough though. Readable and it fits in with the theme.

    > I really
    > need these kind of hints and help, I'm trying to learn by making this
    > site, so thanks in advance.

    OK then.

    Lose the frames and the iframe, they are a bloody nuisance Make each "page"
    a real single intividual HTML page.

    Google for "frames are evil".

    You will also avoid having an additional scroll bar on the viewport (one for
    the whole "page' and another for the iframe.

    Additionally, check the "page" in IE6. The frames have white borders, making
    the page look real crook.

    That said:

    I Really Like that background image.

    --
    Cheers
    Richard.

    rf, Feb 12, 2005
  11. GuyBrush Treepwood

    Oli Filth Guest

    GuyBrush Treepwood wrote:
    > But I think the original question still holds? What to do if I want to
    > have a "transparent" background in this scrollable area?

    See http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/complexspiral/demo.html for an
    effective explanantion for how to simulate transparency with regard to
    background-images.

    --
    Oli

    Oli Filth, Feb 13, 2005
  12. On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 13:28:04 +0000, rf wrote:

    > "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote
    >> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 11:17:32 +0000, rf wrote:

    >> Well, I meant an illusion of transparancy.

    > OK. But it will break as soon as your viewer changes her font size.
    >
    > http://users.bigpond.net.au/rf/temp/strings.jpg
    >
    > Notice how the strings no longer line up.
    >
    >> What do you mean by fixed size?

    > The whole size of the site is fixed inside what looks to be a 600x400 box.
    > It does not utilize my entire viewport. See above.
    >
    > See also http://allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?AnySizeDesign
    >
    >> The font

    > Your font size seems fine. Haven't checked but it looks like you have
    > specified 100% or nothing at all. In any case it is changable, even in IE
    > which is good.
    >
    >> or the menu on the left?

    > There is no "font size" for that menu as it is pictures of text. Large
    > enough though. Readable and it fits in with the theme.
    >
    >> I really
    >> need these kind of hints and help, I'm trying to learn by making this
    >> site, so thanks in advance.

    > OK then.
    >
    > Lose the frames and the iframe, they are a bloody nuisance Make each "page"
    > a real single intividual HTML page.
    >
    > Google for "frames are evil".
    >
    > You will also avoid having an additional scroll bar on the viewport (one for
    > the whole "page' and another for the iframe.
    >
    > Additionally, check the "page" in IE6. The frames have white borders, making
    > the page look real crook.
    >

    > That said:
    >
    > I Really Like that background image.

    Nice to hear.

    I've read about CSS, <div> tags and indeed, it seems
    better then frames, but I don't really see how to fit my lay-out in a
    solution without tables and frames.
    I guess this is just a habit of using tables over better solutions, but
    can you give some links or hints?

    GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 16, 2005
  13. GuyBrush Treepwood

    rf Guest

    "GuyBrush Treepwood" <> wrote

    > can you give some links or hints?

    The page does not appear to be there anymore.

    rf, Feb 17, 2005
  14. GuyBrush Treepwood, Feb 17, 2005