IIS and .NET State

dm4714

Hello --

I'm using IIS on four W2K3 servers in a network load balancing server farm.
There is one back-end state server running the .NET State Server. Each IIS
server is configured with "StateServer" parameter pointing to the state
server.

My question is this... does anyone know of any scripts and/or programs to
determine what IIS server a particular user is on? I'm trying to
troubleshoot problems and want a reliable way to determine what server a
user is accessing when a problem occurs.

I've created a showip.htm file on each server that has the server's IP
address in it so I can identify.

Opinions?

Bruce Barker

with typical load balancing, each request from the client goes to a
different box. so if you page has any images, javscript src, or iframes,
this request each go to a different server. then each page request should go
to a different server. in thsi case the user is not on a given server.

some load balancers support server affinity, when the user is locked to a
given server thru a cookie, but this systems are less reliable.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

dm4714

I believe we're using the Affinity. Because I have a banner on each server
that distinguishes which server they're on. Basically, they are on the same
server for the life of the session. Although I do have links to other
servers for non-load balanced applications. However, it still shows them
being on the same server even though the page came from a different server.