IIS hangs with my COM object

Petar Popara

Dear friends,

You helped me so many times on those newsgroups, but I have to ask you once
again.

I'm struggleing for months with one problem. I have created one COM (dll)
object. When I call it inside IIS (ASP/VB) it works fine for a while and
then IIS hangs. Then I have to restart my PC (Win 2000 Server) using
(hardware) tower button, because Windows can't turn off IIS either.

As much as I could, I insured there were no uncought exceptions thrown and
dialogs displayed by my COM object.

How can I find out what causes IIS to hangs? I'm totally beginner with IIS.

Is there some ATL/IIS guide which explains what ATL settings (threading
model...) should be used when deploying COM object to the IIS?

Thank you in advance.

P.S. This post will be cross-posted to those groups (with pray that someone
will know the solution):

microsoft.public.vc.atl
microsoft.public.inetserver.iis
microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.general

Egbert Nierop \(MVP for IIS\)

Petar Popara said:
Dear friends,

You helped me so many times on those newsgroups, but I have to ask you
once again.

I'm struggleing for months with one problem. I have created one COM (dll)
object. When I call it inside IIS (ASP/VB) it works fine for a while and
then IIS hangs. Then I have to restart my PC (Win 2000 Server) using
(hardware) tower button, because Windows can't turn off IIS either.

Looks like a hardware problem. Check your memory (RAM) for instance.
VB6 is not able to cause such a hang :)

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

Petar Popara said:
Dear friends,

You helped me so many times on those newsgroups, but I have to ask you
once again.

I'm struggleing for months with one problem. I have created one COM (dll)
object. When I call it inside IIS (ASP/VB) it works fine for a while and
then IIS hangs. Then I have to restart my PC (Win 2000 Server) using
(hardware) tower button, because Windows can't turn off IIS either.

As much as I could, I insured there were no uncought exceptions thrown and
dialogs displayed by my COM object.

How can I find out what causes IIS to hangs? I'm totally beginner with
IIS.

Have a look at DebugDiag 1.0
http://forums.asp.net/940544/ShowPost.aspx

Jason

I have had the same problem. It was non-deterministic. I have rebuilt
my dll couple of times, then it worked. I have no idea why it happens.
There was a IIS Crash/Hang tool or something like that, but it didn't
give any clue.

I have debugged my app, it starts working until some point but then it
stops.

By the way, I have uninstalled ASP.NET and Frontpage extensions, then
IIS became pure IIS :), as far as I remember, it worked well after
that.

Jason

David Wang [Msft]

Umm... your problem only appears non-deterministic because the logic flaw is
probably not yet identified. Recompilation rarely fix logic flaws
intentionally -- so I assume your problem is still there; you just haven't
found the environment to trigger it again. ;-)

Debugging tools like IIS CrashHangAgent, IIS State, and DebugDiag assume you
have some idea what you are doing and can identify the
situation/exception/circumstance of a particular type of issue. They then
take a stack trace at that moment, and DebugDiag can run some rules on the
stack trace to try and deduce a recommendation. For the most part, tools are
not going to be oracles that tell you what is wrong. You have to know what
sort of situation you are looking for and diagnose it yourself.

For example, hangs and crashes are the easist things to diagnose. A crash is
simply an unhandled exception, which you can have a debugger attached to
catch such exceptions and hand you control to examine process state to
figure out what is wrong. A hang shows up as a thread that is stuck, usually
in a loop or waiting for something, and you can quickly figure out where it
is happening and frequently why. These situations are hard to figure out
without debugging tools, but in the right hands, the problems are easy to
solve.

BTW, you do not need to uninstall anything to get pure IIS. Simply control
the ISAPI Filters and ISAPI Extensions that execute for the given request,
and you get pure IIS. At which point, all the problem is usually in user
code that you execute because all IIS does is route the request to execute
your code. :)

--
//David
IIS