Im trying to make Thumbnail pics -- any suggestions?

wiz_pendases

Im trying to make Thumbnail pics -- any suggestions? (dont know wher
to start)

Piyush Ranjan

Use rmagick which is a sort of a ruby binding on ImageMagick and
grpahicsmagick

Eric Tucker

I am using rmagick. However, I hear good things about imagescience if your needs featurewise are more modest.
Sent wirelessly via BlackBerry from T-Mobile.

Use rmagick which is a sort of a ruby binding on ImageMagick and
grpahicsmagick

Tom Reilly

Im trying to make Thumbnail pics -- any suggestions? (dont know wher
to start)
# Make Thumb Nails
# This works fine to make thumbnails for my web site
# lots of luck
#Tom Reilly

require 'rmagick'
include Magick

def rsz(hgt,wdt,msze)
if hgt > wdt
r = msze.to_f / hgt.to_f
return [ msze, (wdt.to_f * r).to_i]
else
r = msze.to_f / wdt.to_f
return [(hgt.to_f * r).to_i, msze]
end
end

tnDir = ".\\"
jpgArray = Array.new
dir = Dir.new(tnDir)
dir.each do |d|
jpgArray.push(d) if d =~ /jpg/
end

pix = ImageList.new
jpgArray.each {|x| pix.read(x) if x .downcase =~ /jpg/}

pix.each do |x|

rows = x.rows
columns = x.columns
factor1 = 200
factor2 = 450
a = rsz(columns,rows,factor1)

x.resize!(a[0],a[1])
#img.resize!(cols,rows)
# img2 = x.frame
x.write(".\\stamp\\#{"t" + x.filename}")
end

Ryan Davis

[...]

Blech!

This is exactly why I wrote image_science... well, that and installing
ImageMagick/rmagick was always a PITA.

require 'rubygems'
require 'image_science'

Dir["*.jpg"].each do |file|
ImageScience.with_image(file) do |img|
img.thumbnail(200) do |thumb|
thumb.save "#{file.sub(/.jpg$/, '')}_thumb.png"
end
end
end

Thufir

require 'rubygems'
require 'image_science'

Dir["*.jpg"].each do |file|
ImageScience.with_image(file) do |img|
img.thumbnail(200) do |thumb|
thumb.save "#{file.sub(/.jpg$/, '')}_thumb.png"
end
end
end

Very cool :)

I'm ok with the ruby, but how would you put that *into* a rails project
so that the above code is run when the new images are imported to the db?

thanks,

Thufir

Andrew Stewart

require 'rubygems'
require 'image_science'

Dir["*.jpg"].each do |file|
ImageScience.with_image(file) do |img|
img.thumbnail(200) do |thumb|
thumb.save "#{file.sub(/.jpg$/, '')}_thumb.png"
end
end
end

Very cool :)

I'm ok with the ruby, but how would you put that *into* a rails
project
so that the above code is run when the new images are imported to
the db?

Have a look at the attachment_fu plugin:

http://svn.techno-weenie.net/projects/plugins/attachment_fu/

Regards,
Andy Stewart

John Joyce

Very cool :)

I'm ok with the ruby, but how would you put that *into* a rails
project
so that the above code is run when the new images are imported to
the db?

thanks,

Thufir

Put things like that into the Model file.

Piyush Ranjan

you can also use filecolumn for rails file upload and thumbnailing needs.