Image::Magick perl: constitute.c:2015: ReadImage: Assertion `image_info->signature == 0xabacadab' fa

Rob Bell

Hello,

perl: constitute.c:2015: ReadImage: Assertion `image_info->signature
== 0xabacadab' failed

If anyone here has encountered the error above when using the
Image::Magick module please share how you adapted your scripts to
avoid or work around it.

Thank you,

Rob

PS: This request for help was posted in Modules with no response for two days.

Vlad Tepes

Rob Bell said:
perl: constitute.c:2015: ReadImage: Assertion `image_info->signature
== 0xabacadab' failed

If anyone here has encountered the error above when using the
Image::Magick module please share how you adapted your scripts to
avoid or work around it.

You need to provide more information:

What platform are you on?
Which version of Image::Magick?
How can I reproduce the error?

Regards,

Rob Bell

Vlad Tepes said:
You need to provide more information:

What platform are you on?
Which version of Image::Magick?
How can I reproduce the error?

Regards,

I'll rephrase my question at the risk of being off-topic for this
newsgroup as I am speculating that the error is resulting from a
mis-setup of the underlying ImageMagick program on the server but am
not in a position to request it be re-setup without evidence to
demonstrate the cause of the error. The error is occuring on read of
an image file. It's a Linux box. My new questions are: Can anyone
here give an indication what type of problem would lead to this type
of error:

perl: constitute.c:2015: ReadImage: Assertion `image_info->signature
== 0xabacadab' failed

Does this seem to be an exception thrown by Perl, by the operating
system, or by ImageMagick. Naturally, if you have experience with
this particular error I'd appreciate information on how it was
corrected. You may feel free to direct me to a more appropriate
newsgroup.

Thanks,

Rob

Darshan Shaligram

The error is occuring on read of an image file. It's a Linux box. My
new questions are: Can anyone here give an indication what type of
problem would lead to this type of error:
perl: constitute.c:2015: ReadImage: Assertion `image_info->signature
== 0xabacadab' failed
Does this seem to be an exception thrown by Perl, by the operating
system, or by ImageMagick.

Looks like ImageMagick doesn't like your image file. What kind of image
is it? Can you open that image file using, say, the GIMP? Can you open
*other* image files using ImageMagick?

Your image file is probably corrupted.
You may feel free to direct me to a more appropriate newsgroup.

The ImageMagick mailing lists are probably a better place to ask, since
your problem seems to be unrelated to Perl.

Martien Verbruggen

Looks like ImageMagick doesn't like your image file. What kind of image
is it? Can you open that image file using, say, the GIMP? Can you open
*other* image files using ImageMagick?

Your image file is probably corrupted.

That shouldn't result in an assertion, but an error returned from the
called function.
The ImageMagick mailing lists are probably a better place to ask, since
your problem seems to be unrelated to Perl.

Since the error is an assertion, this hints at a programming error in
ImageMagick itself. Assertions are normally used, and _should_
only be used, to check whether the programmer has made an error. They
should not be used to deal with "normal" error conditions like corrupt
images, or incorrect permissions, or wrong user input.

You should probably report this to the ImageMagick developers.

Martien