image map and a form

Discussion in 'HTML' started by WindAndWaves, Dec 3, 2004.

  1. WindAndWaves

    WindAndWaves Guest

    Hi Gurus, Geeks & Hobbits

    I have a page with an image of a map on it and a form with several tick
    boxes (which are the same as the regions shown on the map).

    The final goal of the page is to select regions for a search.

    Now, you may see that it would be cool if:

    a. if a user clicked on a particular region on the map, the appropriate
    tickbox would be ticked and the region would be highlighted on the map.

    b. if a user clicked on a particular tickbox, the region on the map would be
    highlighted.

    I suspect that I can achieve this using:

    a. image map (breaking up the image into areas would be too difficult as the
    areas are all over the place - ie they are not square).
    b. Javascript
    c. some way (maybe simple hidden gifs that are transparent, apart from the
    border of the region) to highlight the parts of the map.

    I was wondering if any of you had any hints.

    TIA

    - Nicolaas
    WindAndWaves, Dec 3, 2004