    to one file and then all get downloaded at the client site in one HTTP
    request.
    Thanx
    Navu, Jan 23, 2006

  2. Navu wrote:

    > Pls suggest me some way by using which all the images can be
    > merged in to one file and then all get downloaded at the client
    > site in one HTTP request.

    You can use multipart HTTP responses or any compact/compression
    algorithm to serve the data of all images in one request, and you
    can use the corresponding extract/decompression algorithm to
    decompress the response body. However, there is no interoperable
    means to display the extracted/decompressed data; `data:' URIs do
    not work everywhere, and otherwise required host objects are not
    always available.

    You can only speed up the process reliably if your server allows
    for (more) parallel connections from a client; preloading in
    different ways is possible, but not reliable.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jan 23, 2006

  3. Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:

    > You can only speed up the process reliably if your server allows
    > for (more) parallel connections from a client; preloading in
    > different ways is possible, but not reliable.

    Where it should be added that you can serve _one_ resource in _one_
    request gzip-compressed if the client supports that (watch for the
    "Accept-Encoding: gzip" header) which also further speeds up the
    download process. See also <URL:http://www.mnot.net/cache_docs/>
    which refers to the cgi_buffer library.

    PointedEars
    Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn, Jan 23, 2006