Image resizing in Java - fastest library/API?

Alex Hunsley

I'm interested in finding out which library or package in Java is
generally the fastest at image resizing (and can do so at reasonable
quality, i.e. interpolation/smoothing of result so it doesn't look jaggy).

I'm not interested in disk I/O times - just in the speed of resizing an
image already in memory, to memory. Nothing unusual about the image
sizes I have in mind either - typically, resizing a 450x450 image to
150x150.

Searching the web didn't turn up any comparisons which is a shame. (I
may yet publish my own findings on the web!)

So I'm just wondering if anyone else has done comparisons in this
department, or heard good things about library X versus Y etc.

For what it's worth, my initial comparison between Java's inbuilt image
processing and JMagick (a Java JNI interface to ImageMagick) shows that
JMagick does it in half the time.
I haven't yet looked at Java Advanced Imaging API...

I'm also interested in an Java image adapter package which would adapt
different image libraries to a common interface (allowing you to hotswap
which image library you were actually using with ease). It doesn't seem
to exist, and possibly for good reasons...

Alex