Image swap problem with preloading

Stevio

In my web page I preload images so that when a user clicks on a part of the
image, the image changes.

The images are used to display 4 tabs. Each image shows a different tab as
highlighted. If a user clicks on the 2nd tab, the image changes so that the
2nd tab is highlighted a different colour, and so on.

The image for the 1st tab is displayed initially, and the other 3 are
preloaded using standard Macromedia Dreamweaver JavaScript functions. It all
works ok usually, but if the cache setting of Internet Explorer is to check
for newer versions of stored pages on 'every visit to the page', then I have
problems.

The first tab displays fine, but when I click on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th tab,
they are not displayed - I get the small image missing icon that IE displays
and a blank space.

I have read elsewhere of people having similar problems, but from what they
say, the image will still load usually, there will just be a delay because
the preloading isn't working.

Why when I do it, does it not load at all?

Thanks,
Stephen

Stevio

Stevio said:
[...]

Just to add, this only happens when using onClick as the event trigger. If I
try it using onMouseOver, it works ok.

Stephen

Michael Winter

[snip]
The first tab displays fine, but when I click on the 2nd, 3rd, or 4th
tab, they are not displayed - I get the small image missing icon that IE
displays and a blank space.
[snip]

Why when I do it, does it not load at all?

Without a demonstration page to play with, it's difficult to say. Please
see <URL:http://www.physci.org/codes/sscce.jsp>[1] with regards to
providing examples.

By the way, Dreamweaver's standard code is crap and hard to maintain. Once
you show exactly what happens on your page, a better alternative could be
provided.

Mike

[1] To Andrew T:

1) The Internet is a proper noun, dang it!
2) Your bibliography is masquerading as a glossary. :p