Impersonation

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Thorsten Schiller, May 13, 2004.

  1. Hi,

    I'm using impersonation in an ASPNET app, where the impersonated user is
    configured in the web.config:
    <identity impersonate="true" userName="userWithAppropiateRightsForTheApp"
    password="cool"/>

    So far, so good. It seems to work in come ways, i.e. the app can access a
    network share which cannot be accessed by the ASPNET account. The ASPNET
    account is still configured in the machine.config, but the account was added
    to the Administrators group (to enable impersonation thru LogonUserA, see
    below).

    <processModel ...userName="machine" password="AutoGenerate" .../>

    But, when I call System.Diagnostics.Process.Start("LegacyApp.exe", "args"),
    LegacyApp runs in the ASPNET account! This is still true if I impersonate
    the user with Win32 API calls (LogonUserA, DuplicateToken, ...).

    I don't understand this. What does impersonation means? Which code is
    executed in the impersonated account and which not? Is there a way to spawn
    a process from an ASPNET app that runs in an account that I specify?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Thanks, Panther.

    Thorsten Schiller, May 13, 2004