Implementing DataBase concepts using C

Shravani

I've been assigned a task to carry out the following exercise using C
code:

Functional Dependencies & Normalization:
a. Specifying & testing Functional Dependencies on a relation
b. Normalization based on Functional Dependencies
c. Testing for lossless decomposition
d. Testing for dependency preservation

For this I've taken a books database that consists of the following
attributes:
ISBN,Title,Author,Published year,Publisher,Price,Genre,Pages,country.

the functional dependencies present in this relation are:
ISBN -> Title,Author,Published
year,Publisher,Price,Genre,Pages,country.
Title -> ISBN,Author,Published
year,Publisher,Price,Genre,Pages,country.
Author -> Country
Author -> publisher

could anyone please tell me how to proceed with it in the first step?
i've no clue about how to implement database concepts using C
language.How do i specify the dependencies?how do i test them using C?
etc etc.

could anyone please help me out with the code?

user923005

[...]

You probably want instead of If you get some C questions during your quest, you might ask them
here.
Perhaps one or more of these links might prove helpful:
http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~dbbook/openAccess/Minibase/homework/joenormal.html
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=322330&coll=portal&dl=ACM
http://www.cs.umbc.edu/461/current/burt/lectures/lec14/
http://www.cs.umd.edu/class/spring2003/cmsc424-0401/ClassNotesFeb20.ppt
http://www.businessanalysisbooks.com/1423900839.html
http://www.cs.sfu.ca/CC/354/zaiane/material/notes/Chapter6/node11.html

Default User

Shravani wrote:

could anyone please tell me how to proceed with it in the first step?
i've no clue about how to implement database concepts using C
language.How do i specify the dependencies?how do i test them using C?
etc etc.

Is your assignment to implement a relational database from first
principles? Or is it to use an existing database product with a C API?
The first is non-trivial. If that's it, then as Dann said you should
start with comp.programming to develop the data structures and
algorithms as a higher level. Then when you implement them in C, we can
help.

Brian

user923005

Is your assignment to implement a relational database from first
principles?

To create all of the database concepts listed, a disk based hash table
should be sufficient.

All primary key and foreign key constraints can be formulated using
exact matches (and range searches are not correct for this purpose so
having a B-tree would be nice but is not a requirement to complete the
assignment).
Or is it to use an existing database product with a C API?
The first is non-trivial. If that's it, then as Dann said you should
start with comp.programming to develop the data structures and
algorithms as a higher level. Then when you implement them in C, we can
help.

Something like this would probably be a big help:
http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=ProjectInfo&pid=QU14FXPMKEWFKW4SXQQRKL85TB

user923005

To create all of the database concepts listed, a disk based hash table
should be sufficient.

All primary key and foreign key constraints can be formulated using
exact matches (and range searches are not correct for this purpose so
having a B-tree would be nice but is not a requirement to complete the
assignment).

Something like this would probably be a big help:http://www.koders.com/info.aspx?c=ProjectInfo&pid=QU14FXPMKEWFKW4SXQQ...

The listed source does not have updates or deletes programmed.

On the other hand, this thing is almost a database:
http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/post/readme.htm

It even has transactions implemented.